An update of Willie from May of last year

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan B, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan B

Susan B New Member

From this thread back in May
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/willie.177633/#post-1958894

I just wanted to let everyone know that Willie is doing great on diet alone! And I want to thank everyone here who helped me with him.

After much trouble trying to test him, I decided for his sake to try a strict diet with him and it worked. He is on Fancy Feast Pates' as well as some lean raw meats. I also will let him snack on liverwurst, ham, eggs, bacon, cheese, and any leftover meats from my plate.

I have come to the conclusion that his problem is with gluten. Last July I mistakenly gave him a Fancy Feast (only 1 can) which had gluten in it and his sugar rose - I came home from work and he was curled in a corner. Since then, I have been extremely careful and by now know which cans he can eat and what he can't. He has not had any episodes since that day and is thriving. No over drinking of water and is full of life.

I do realize that this approach is not for every cat, but I made a decision based on his history and not wanting him to suffer with the constant attention it requires. It would have been just too much for him with his cerebral palsy issues.

Thanks everyone and I wanted to give a very positive update for you. He is 13 years old now and I never thought he would even make it to 10.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Did the food have higher carbs? That would raise his glucose.

3. Susan B

Susan B New Member

I don't remember which can it was, but I did read the gluten in it. Must have been a gravy one, which I see is not on the list of safe foods.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Gluten is found in many high-carb foods because they are often grain-based. Carbs raise glucose.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.