An Update On Shiro & More Questions (Feeding, Curving).

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AvalonWitch, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

I can't begin to thank you guys for all your help with my post earlier this week, an Introduction and a Question. I just got back from the vet (the one who insisted a 3 day curve was the ONLY way to go) with a copy of Shiro's first BG (not a curve.) Last Saturday, Shiro's Glucose was at 640 mg/dl. He also had trace Ketones and high cholesterol (228). I've picked up the ReliOn Confirm, strips, lancelets and cotton balls today for the low-low price of $52 USD - my father paid for it this month but even if he stops doing so my sister and I will be more than able to manage this expense. Even if his insulin ends up being $100-150 a month we will probably be able to swing it without assistance, depending on my father's willingness to cover his third. I ran through my plan with a vet tech - who subtly confirmed my suspicions regarding the attempt to squeeze money out of us and agreed that the low carb diet and monitoring him at home was best for now (as we cannot afford the $800usd 3 day curve.) My family has agreed that if Shiro's glucose levels don't hit normal within the month they will do a one day curve and put him on insulin. They've gotten MUCH better about table scraps - he's been given a piece of boiled chicken breast and not much else in terms of extra food!)

Shiro ate about 2 hours ago and I wanted to do a quick test just to make sure he'd let me. I don't have the control solution (i've ordered it) but i tested myself twice for consistency. His blood sugar came back at 382 mg/dl. Approximately HALF of where it was last week. Also since switching him to a low carb diet we've all noticed a HUGE decrease in the amount of water he's been drinking (still normal, but less than the crazy amounts he was drinking before) and his urination (he was going in huge amounts over 5 times a day and he's down to about 2-3 a day.)

Right now we're feeding him about 4 cans of classic fancy feast a day (he's about 13 lbs.) Morning, Noon, Afternoon and Evening. The hours end up being about 8am, 12pm, 4pm, and 8pm. Today we had to push the feedings back an hour so he JUST ate his after-noon meal. How soon after he's done eating should I test him again? I just want to do this so I can get some experience before the big curve tomorrow.

MommaOfMuse said
    I'd read that a curve involved testing every 2 hours, but I know that this is how it works when injecting insulin so...should the schedule be the same if he's not on it?

---

Shiro is a male, 11-13 year old, unentered male with one recessed testicle. He has stomatitis and is on a liquid Atopica. He also has cardiacmyopathy. He weighed approximately 14.8lbs before but is currently at about 12.8-13lbs (part of what prompted me getting him tested.)

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

my goodness, how horrible to charge that amount for a 3day curve.
    Shiro would be so stressed to be away from you for 3 days and the numbers would be absolutely useless. That's crazy.

You are so better off by testing at home, and your insulin will not cost as much as you think...I hope you are now relieved to know that the costs are manageable and that Shiro will be feeling better soon with the diet corrections and insulin started.

It's quite amazing how just correcting the diet, changing to low carb wet food, will result in improvements to your cat's health, and a great reduction in the BG numbers.

You can test any times that you want; the tests before shots and just before bedtime, and all the others will just add to the info you know about your cat and how the insulin is working.
    You can do curves how you like, every 2 hours or even every 2 hours.
    Alot of people work or are at school during the week, so they can't get much testing done except amps, then pmps and a couple in the evening before bed. Then on the weekend or a day off, they can do a curve and test every 2 or 3 hours .... whenever you want to test is good.
    It's all data and tells the story.

3. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

@ Gayle Shadoe & Oliver - You're not kidding. Especially since Shiro is VERY anxious at the vet's, even for a short visit. He refuses to eat when he's there long term, drink, and is a frantic mess. He had a bad experience in the past. So, I sincerely doubt that any long-term stay would give us useful numbers.

I feel REALLY relieved - a huge difference from the panicky mess I was just this past Monday when this all began. I have you guys to thank for it!

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Both of my cats tested differently at the vets.

Shadoe tested higher and Oliver had been known to test lower.

I always tested them before leaving for the vet, at the vet office, and then 30min after getting home.
    I found that both would return to their normal numbers within 30min of returning home.

Oliver worried me because one time he tested very low at the vet but he had been fine when we left home! Thank goodness I had taken some food with me to try and bring him up at the vet.

So yeah, I know first hand, the numbers at the vet office are not true.
    Just imagine your poor cat stuck in a cage for 3 days, and what if the vet office was not 24 hours? Your cat would be left alone in a cage with no attention at all.

Instead, you can poke Shiro's ear while sitting at home and relaxed. And for alot less than $800!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.