And back down this AM :-) Zeus - numbers back up.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by knolet, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Good Morning,

I've never seen this low of a number with Zeus - he didn't have any dry food yesterday. One ear was 88 the other was 118. I'm assuming that I should not give a shot this morning, but I don't know? It's the first low number. I did feed him his usual meal this morning, 1/2 can of purina dm and 1/2 can of ff. The Vet didn't tell me what to do if the numbers were that low - we're still trying to regulate ... I'm waiting for their office to open to see what they suggest.

I've posted on the lantus board as well.

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Re: Zeus - low number? To shoot or no? Concerned

No, do not give any insulin. Those are great numbers to have :smile: Newbies should not give any insulin if the bg is under 200.

3. PrettyBlueEyes

PrettyBlueEyes Member

Ooh-those are great numbers! Yay!!!

Kate & Leo

4. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

Go Zeus, Go! Until you have enough data to safely shoot lower numbers, generally think of 200 as the cutoff for shooting. Depending on the type of insulin you use, there are guidelines for shooting lower than that. You definitely made the right call not to shoot a number below 100! Zeus' numbers may be higher at his next preshot...but it's all data for you to use later!

As an aside, I grew up in NH. Can't wait to make a summer visit up home!

5. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I was so nervous this morning, but the Vet did confirm to not give a shot was a good thing. I was able to check on him at lunch time, but couldn't check his bg. Tonight it was back up there, 374 in one ear and 335 in the other. Should I give the 1.5 units that he was on, or up it to 2 units as the Vet said yesterday?

Which part? I'm in Lebanon. :D

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Re: Zeus - numbers back up.

Just stick with 1.5 units for now. It's normal for bgs to go up pretty high after you skip a shot.

A comment on your SS: instead of putting today's numbers on two different rows, you can just use one row. The PS numbers can be combined in the same box (88/118 and 374/335). The color coding won't be applied but you can easily add in the color yourself or leave it as white/no color.

7. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Thanks, I fixed it.

8. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

I grew up in Plymouth. I did my teaching certification in Lebanon.

9. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Nice numbers :) See why I said don't increase the dose and drop carbs at the same time? ;-)

You don't dose Lantus based on preshots anyways. You dose based on the nadir (lowest point of the cycle). TR and SLGS both use different methods I think. Not sure which you're using if at all.

10. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks. I was surprised what a difference it made :D

I don't think I'm using a method. TR and SLGS - I need to read more about it, I don't have an understanding of the difference.

11. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

And... the number is back down :D we're at 145, no shot this morning either. That's some good news.

Now to watch the cats today... I don't know if it was Zeus or Smokey, but someone had diarrhea on the kitchen floor. Yesterday someone vomited, but I really think that was Smokey. It looked more like her partially digested food. Sorry for this topic so early... hope you're not eating breakfast and reading, LOL.

Have a great day!

12. PrettyBlueEyes

PrettyBlueEyes Member

Go Zeus! Hopefully the switch to all wet is going to make a big difference for you guys.

Maybe the change in diet is causing tummy troubles for one of them? Leo gets a little of the same whenever he starts something different, even changing brands is enough for him to react that way. Something to keep an eye on, anyway, so no one gets dehydrated.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you keep having these nice numbers.

Kate & Leo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.