And the Honeymoon is over...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by linda and guinness, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linda and guinness

linda and guinness Member

Hi my name is Linda and my cat is Guinness. About 2 years ago, with the help of the wonderful people on this board, I was able to get my sugar cat, Guinness off of insulin and regulated with food. Lately, he's been very vocal and acting very hungry (but he usually always acted that way, just more lately). I haven't tested him in a while because he's had such good numbers over the past 2 years. Today, though, I saw him drinking water out of his water bowl. Keep in mind, since I changed him and his brother, Harp to all wet, high protein food, I haven't seen him drink a drop of water out of his bowl in 2 years. So once I saw that, I tested his blook (at about the 4 hour mark after eating) and his blood sugar was a 351! So, I'm assuming our honeymoon is over.

My questions to all you experienced people out there is this...is it possible something else could be going on, like a bad tooth? Should I try and get the vet to give us the same insulin (Lantus) that he was so successful on before? Can I do this now that I'm working full time? Please let me know your thoughts and of course any encouragement you can impart would be helpful too, because I seriously don't know if I have it in me to go through this again.

Linda and Guinness

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I remember you, Linda, and Guinness.

Sometimes it is an infection that causes the high bg levels. I certainly would have that and possible dental issues checked out.

If you have to start insulin again, I would go with what I am familiar with - Lantus is a great insulin. And I would think it will be so much easier this time. You don't have all those newbie fears; you and Guinness both would be able to settle into old routines.

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Hi Linda!

Sorry you guys might be coming back. I would definitely get a good vet exam, bloodwork, check his teeth, etc. Even a minor infection could cause numbers to rise, and it would be helpful to know if there is something going on. Hopefully this will be another quick trip on and off the juice.

4. Julius' Mom

Julius' Mom Member

You can definetly manage him and work, I do! I was so worried about going back to work full time after the winter off, but you get your schedule down and his shots, (if it comes to that) and it will all fall into place.... hope its just a bad tooth!

5. Shirley and Ragnar

Shirley and Ragnar Member

i'm sorry your honeymoon may be over. We've been there more than once. Ragnar was OTJ for more than a year the first time, over 6 months the second time, and now is back ON, since mid-January.

I hope it's just a bad tooth. If you go back on, it's not the end of the world,though. You can manage a shot every 12 hours and his tests, I think. I managed Weng Chiang's back in 1996 when I was working over 80 hours a week from an office away from home (during the final stages of a political campaign I was paid to run) and we made it.

You will do fine. I am pulling for you and will pray for you.

Shirley and Mr. Been-There-Three-Times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.