Andy - can someone comment on his spreadsheet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA), Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

I am not very comfortable with these early results on Novolin. (Prefer the Lantus!) My gut tells me he will bounce even more on Novolin than he did on Lantus and PZI. He is still on meds for UTI but eating and acting normal now. If I had followed the vet protocol this am, he would have hypoed and maybe still will with this fast drop. All ideas and comments welcomed! ????

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. Where you following an FDMB-like testing/dosing protocol when you gave him Lantus or ProZinc? If not you might not have seen what Lantus can do, especially for a bouncy cat. When Teasel was first diagnosed in January 2016 he was on Lantus and I followed the usual vet thing of try a dose, do a curve after a week and then assess. That method continued for another 6+ months once Teasel was switched to ProZinc. Zero success. It was only when I came to FDMB in August 2016 and tried the forum's test, log data on SS, assess dose that I began to make headway and learn my cat's true responses. I saw over time that as hard as I might try, PZ allowed him to bounce like a mad man. Long story short, he's been back on Lantus several months (by way of a period on Levemir) and doing much better. Still bouncy, still prone to big drops out of nowhere but better overall.

3. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yes - I was on the board and followed the protocol for both with a lot of expert advice. Just could never get him to stop bouncing. BUT he was much better on the Lantus though. It's just been the last few months where he was more bouncy so the vet assumed that led to his recent UTI and wanted to try something else. I just may have to make the decision to take him back to Lantus. Problem is and has been that the vets around here don't use it or recommend it because of the high cost. It was my choice to use it and they were ok with it but not as familiar to enable me to go to them with ?'s. For example, the techs just use the same protocol for Lantus as any other insulin so you would increase by 1u if test results were in a certain range etc. And only test 1 or 2 x day. Andy would be dead following that protocol. So I worked with this board to get him the best I could and he was happy and healthy even though "bouncy". At least you are familiar with a bouncy cat. My other cat(Big John) is so consistent on 1u Lantus - hardly varies at all and mostly bet 100-200.
    If I get a chance, I will update Andy's older spreadsheet for some comparison #'s. Thank you for responding.

PS Just tested and at +5 he is 68 so gave a FF snack.
    Update - 85 @+6.5

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Not sure about the answer. I work from a world sheet and the setup at the start is a bit more of a challenge so @Marje and Gracie set it up for me way back when.

6. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Kris - this am he was 474 - he has been much higher on Novolin - and yesterday, I upped his dose to 2.5u and @+5 he was at 68 and 399 pmps. (The protocol would have been 3U.) This is way too volatile - if they think the Lantus volatility gave him the UTI, this Novolin will be worse. Sure it brings him down but too fast for Andy - I know my cat! So made the decision this am to give 1u Lantus. Wish us luck!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.