Angel 9/24 AMPS:263 +3:321

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cherish Gallagher, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hard to say about the insulin, Cherish. Did you buy a 10 mL vial or a cartridge? Just asking in case you decide to replace it. I know it's terribly expensive in the US.

You're doing TR and she's quite bouncy these days. Why not go with the guidelines and increase after 3 cycles? If she's feeling well try not to fret about numbers. Easy to say I know. It's taken over a year and a half for me to make any significant progress with Teasel so I know that patience is key. :bighug:

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  3. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning Cherish, I totally understand the frustration. Take a peek at Titans SS. He has Acromegaly so that compounds things. We also questioned our Lantus as to if it was effective. Changed vials, pens etc but it came down to his Acro and resistance. I know the protocol for keeping Lantus safe, 28 days , refrige etc and that is correct but in real life it seems much more stable than they suggest. I have a sister who has been diabetic for 50 plus years, she does not take good care of her insulin (Lantus) i.e. In the purse all day jostled a lot and uses way past the 28 days. My input would be trust the insulin and keep pushing to find the dose that works. If you can switch that would be a good trial but don't discard the vial you have, it probably is still good. Just my 2 pennies worth.

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Increase after 6 cycles or 3 days not 3 cycles ;)

It's usually not the insulin but rather the cat just needs what they need. Lantus can be used up to 6 months if refrigerated. If you need to increase please just do the .25u increase as the protocol is aggressive the way it's written and you don't want to miss a good dose.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I completely understand the frustration. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Just keep on going the way you are. It will happen and then you will get some higher numbers and be confused and frustrated again - lol. I know it isn't funny.

I questioned everything - and then when I thought I about had it figured out - there was some of the food that were higher carb. And of course, the cat factor :banghead:

Just for a bit of reality. Here are Gizmo's numbers about 1 month into Lantus. Looks pretty similar to Angels.

month2.JPG

When was the last blood work and vet check? How are her teeth?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Oops! Thanks for catching my mistake, Karen. :)

7. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:Not easy but keep on keepin' on.

8. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

I bought the pen of Lantus. We have a bacm up that I just bought and this one came after 3 days transit on super hot days so I'm worried. We will see I guess. And thanks. I know I need to be more patient. Numbers aside, she's doing perfect.

9. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Thanks so much. :)

10. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Yes definitely will only increase in .25 incriments. :). When you say Lantus can last a long time if refrigerated, does that mean continuous refridgeration? Or once it's out of the fridge the clock starts ticking? Meaning, mine was sent thru the mail with no ice packs.

11. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Thank you! See your SS put things into perspective a little. Last blood work was when she was diagnosed 7 months ago. Teeth are ok. :)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl, I bought my last insulin from a member who also didn't ship on ice and I was concerned too. Below is his response which made me feel so much better:

Great to hear that you got it in. About Lantus and temperature.....Lantus was designed to withstand being in the heat so a pen could be carried with you. It was designed to be the only insulin that would allow you to do this. Sanofi themanufacturer of Lantus says if it is storedat 103 degrees F after 30 days it looses noactivity. So it is really tough, and a shorttransit in the mail doesnt hurt it at all. Allthat said it should be stored in the fridgelong term.

Lantus is also very sensitive to temperatures below 32F, most people are not aware of this issue with Lantus. It is way easier to hurt Lantus with low temperatures than it is with heat. So bottom line is the best way to ship is is to ship it fast, and get it back into the fridge. The air gap between the shipping box, and the the actual product box the pens are in give it extra insulation from heat in the surroundings. All in all it is very safe, even wise to ship it without ice packs. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  13. Doodles & Karen

Not sure why you increased by .5 units again when the protocol calls for increases in .25u increments. Too much insulin can look like not enough with higher numbers. Just don't want you to miss a good dose and remember the protocol is agressive in itself.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  14. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Omg I completely screwed up :( I increased her last time by .5 too. Omg Omg omg :( :(

15. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

What should I do?

16. Doodles & Karen

Just hold the dose for now. I see green today which is great. If she goes below 50 at anytime then reduce by .25u.

Can you start a new thread for today?

17. Doodles & Karen

Give her a little lc food at that 72 and test again in an hour. I'll check back and look for a new thread.

18. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Will when I get home. Bf is home with her. Gave LC food and testing again soon

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  19. Doodles & Karen

Hopefully she'll just surf now. If she goes below 50 she'll need HC food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.