Angel Update Month 9

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cherish Gallagher, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

I really hope everyone and all kitties are doing well! We have just entered month number 9 and Angel has finally started to show me some consistency. Hehehe. She seems to love Lantus and is overall doing so well. The only thing that has been not going well with her is her eating. She has become extremely picky to the point where canned food she used to love she won’t touch. I spend a fortune on canned food. I think it might have to do with our other cat getting kibble. We picked up a bag of EVO again and she’s been getting that once in awhile if I feel like she’s not eating enough. So far it’s working.

Speaking of eating. Our other cat Miyu has been eating less and mess for a few weeks now. We thought it was his new med for his megacolon but it’s not. Over thanksgiving weekend we were syringe feeding him and then saw his vet Saturday. Huge vet bill and they told us that it’s his liver or something called FIP. The vet is puzzled with this case and has show us so much extra care and kindness with this cat. So right now we have him on an appetite stimulant and he is eating more. The liver can heal we just need to get him eating more. I just wish we knew why he stopped.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My 2 cats were being super picky for about 5 or 6 days and I was wondering why, and it's so frustrating, and now they are back to cleaning their bowls again. I think they are just being cats. Sometimes, I sprinkle something on top of their food to entice them to eat, like FortiFlora or some crunched up all meat freeze dried food or a few kibbles of EVO.
    What kind of appetite stimulant did the vet give Miyu? Sending healing vines for his liver. :bighug:

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Angel is doing well. I hope you can get Miyu to eat and his liver heals. Sending prayers.

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Cats and their food will drive you crazy...I hate cat food. It's not food if they don't eat it so glad you're finding ways that entice them to eat. Angel's looking good and sending lots of vines and prayers for Miyu.

5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Angel is looking good. I do have a question and maybe it was brought up before, but why is Angel getting 11% food? I'm wondering if that could be the reason for the blues and a few greens. :bookworm:

6. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

It’s all she will eat. She won’t eat pate and only certain gravy based foods. So any preshot under 200 I usually give 11%. Anything over I give her the only 2% she will eat. Anything under 100 I give higher. Especially on days where we can’t get a +2 or +3

7. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Mirtazapine

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Angel is looking good, Cherish! :)

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Not all cats respond equally well to mirtazepine. You could ask your vet for a trial of cyproheptidine if the mirtz isn't working?

Please talk to your vet about FIP at length. It is infectious and could be transmitted to Angel. Also, did your vet send out for labs to diagnose FIP? The disease is hard to diagnose and IDEXX does have a diagnostic test.

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  10. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to see Angel is doing well and sending vines that Miyu gets better and has an appy .

11. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Thank you! I’m sooooo happy! :) :) :)

12. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Beautiful chart. Good job!

13. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

FIP is age dependent to some degree. Usually only very young cats get it. It can be wet or dry - if it were wet FIP, you'd know it, because the cat swells up and looks pretty bad. Dry FIP is treatable, but it is, to the best of my knowledge, fatal at some point or another. I do think "Sienna and Gabby" is correct about getting the test for FIP done. Unless, and this is just my opinion, if your cat is like 6+ years, I might consider just treating for liver problems, since FIP is truly an outlier diagnosis in older cats. On the other hand, better safe than sorry, especially since you have another cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.