Announcing DCIN's Fall Fund Raiser

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommaOfMuse, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Does your cat know the difference between filet mignon and filet of sole? Does she help you in the kitchen? Do you have a dish that leaves your family and friends pawing for more?

This year, DCIN’s special fundraising project is…
    Kitchen Cats‘ Cookbook! This digital cookbook on CD will showcase not only our prowess in the kitchen but also the good taste of our cats. After all, we all know that there is no more discriminating palate than that of a cat!

To make this project work, DCIN needs pictures of your gourmet cats helping with your favorite recipes. We also need to have the recipes for your best culinary delights.

Here are the types of photos you could snap:

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

So grab that digital camera, snap a picture or two of kitty helping in the kitchen or dining room, write up your best recipe, and send them in. (We are going to need high resolution digital pictures only for this project). All cats, sweet or civie, with us or gone ahead, are welcome.

We need recipes in the following categories:

· Appetizers
    · Beverages
    · Breads and Stuffing
    · Desserts
    · Grilling: Marinades and Dry Rubs
    · Main Courses
    · Rice and Pasta
    · Sauces and Salad Dressings
    · Soups and Salads
    · Vegetables

We also want to include a section on handy household tips.

While we would love to see your cat and his prowess in the culinary arts, a photograph is not a must to submit a recipe. After all, some cats do have a reputation to uphold; they can’t let their fellow felines know that they help with the household chores.

For those who do submit photos, please include:

· Names of beans and cats pictured
    · Age of cat
    · Sweet or civie, with us or gone ahead
    · If sweet, insulin and dosage or whether “off the juice”

We will need a copyright release from the photographer (or whomever holds the copyright) for all photos. We will gladly give copyright credit in the cookbook. Please submit the following with any photos you submit:

I, ___________________, the photographer or copyright owner of the submitted photograph(s), give Diabetic Cats in Need the right to use this (these) photograph(s) in its copyrighted digital cookbook, tentatively titled Kitchen Cats‘ Cookbook. In developing its publication, DCIN may resize, crop, or add effects to this (these) image(s) as needed. The copyright credit on the photograph(s) in the cookbook should read as follows: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If there is one or more persons in your photo(s), DCIN also work with you on a model release. We will not need a model release for the cats; we assume they are willingly helping DCIN with this project.

*** We will also be holding a contest for the Cover Cat…details to be released later***

Please submit pictures, recipes, and model releases to MommaOfMuse (Mel) at inked cat @ hotmail. com (remove space)

This Fund Raising announcement has Rebecca's approval.

Mel, Maxwell and the Fur Gang

2. MommaOfMuse

3. MommaOfMuse

Oh come now don't be shy...I want to see cats in pans, cats in pots, cats on plates, in cupboards, and pantries, as decorations on a formal diningroom table, Cats in dishracks, or helping peel potatoes, I'm not picky, and I know you've found your cats from time to time in places they shouldn't be checking out what mom brought home from the grocery store or what you just finished cooking. I don't even care if you dress your cat up as part of a salad and snap a picture for me (your cat might, but I'd like to see it).

Put some tuna in a serving dish and get a photo of kitty dining, or fill a margarita glass with tuna juice and show off Fluffy enjoying a tunarita!

Remember there will be a contest to select our cover art out of the submissions, so get those creative shots in and you just might get to see your baby on the cover!

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

4. MommaOfMuse

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mel, I have a great easy low fat Lasagna recipe I'd like to share but I'll need to work on getting a picture for it. Where can I find a teeny tiny chefs hat?

What a great idea this is!

Robin

6. MommaOfMuse

You mean like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Miniature-Scale-White-Chef-Hat-Dollhouse-Doll-Mini-/250790572195 although that might be more kitten sized than cat-sized..lol. And if your cats are anything like mine when it comes to lasagna, then all they need are bibs...lol Although if you really want little chef hats, try cooking stores and look for those little 'hat' thingys that go on crown roasts, they look alot like chef hats.

The lasagna sounds wonderful, I'm still trying to decide between my soft lemon sugar cookies or my Chicken a la boney parts casserole (named by my non-furry kids). And then there is the problem of getting one or more of the cats to pose for the camera while being domestic around the house.

I've already gotten some outstanding pictures from Dale and Jenn (Tucker's mom). I may have to start posting some of the pictures to get all your creative juices flowing.

7. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

You're getting a desert recipe from my coworker, sorry I don't cook. I did try to make some cookies a couple of weeks ago, pulled them out of the oven and Sam immediately jumped onto the counter and got cat fur on them. I realized then why I don't cook :oops:

8. Rob & Harley (GA)

Wow, cool tiny chefs hat, but Harley's head is too big for it, actually a bib would be easier to keep on him anyway. :lol: I'll start working on it.

Too bad is has to be our kitties, I've got a great pic of my granddaughter sitting in a stock pot wearing the lid like a hat.

9. MommaOfMuse

It doesn't have to be our kitties, while that would be nice, any kitty that you have permission of the owner to submit works. It just has to be our recipes, or those you can beg borrow or steal from friends, co-workers, or family..lol.

@Jenn...psst...cat hair is a condiment Sam was just seasoning the cookies for you. I don't think I remember when I had the last meal that didn't include cat hair. I either cook or we starve, even the last time we went through the drive-thru at McDonald's my burger came with cat hair because Maxwell had gone for the ride with us and was sharing my burger with me. You know condiments: Ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, cat hair, mayo etc.

10. tuckers mom

Sam was helping??? Good to know. I'll make more cookies, but in all honesty, I did use a mix :roll:

11. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

I don't know if I am uploading a pic. But this is Prop, http://www.sukkerkatten.dk/45918999?i=43349709 OTJ since feb. 2011, she is 11 year old and would be very happy to help in any way. Unfortunately her bean (me) is pretty poor in a kitchen and would be embaresd to share some of the few recipies I know :)

I am sorry, but i don't know if the resolution is ok :)

12. MommaOfMuse

Got the picture, what a lovely girl Prop is and seems to be very handy in the kitchen. Short of your own recipe, how about something that your country is famous for? And that goes for the rest of our members that are out of the US. If not one of your own culinary talents, how about something that is a local favorite? I know I have travelled a lot before aquiring the Fur Gang and there were lots of dishes that I wish now that I would have gotten a recipe for while I was abroad. Also since these aren't limited to you and your skills in the kitchen, raid mom's recipe files, grandma's, dig out those family secret recipes etc. Come on folks, we all have those family favorites even if we can't cook ourselves. ohmygod_smile

And Gentlemen, I also need grilling recipes, now I know there will be plenty of fellows out there firing up the barbie for the summer cook-outs so lets trot out those sauces, marinades, world reknown burger recipes. etc.

13. Dale

Dale Member

Zena says that if I'm not going to use the skillet to cook in, he might as well use it to sit in. Silly cat!

This is the kind of help in the kitchen I get.

Attached Files:

14. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

Denmark has that speciel dark bread we serve In kind of an open sandwich. Oprah visited Denmark last year because We apparently are the most happy people in the World and she brought home Lots of that dark bread. Maybe a recipe with that kind of bread. Think you Call it Rye. Every people even kids eat it every day here. well i figure something out tomorrow, it is late here :)

15. MommaOfMuse

I'm not sure is she wanted to wash or dry the dishes, or maybe she just didn't understand when her dad told her that she was turning into one pretty dish...lol But this is my kind of kitchen help

[​IMG]

16. Rob & Harley (GA)

Is there a limit on how many recipes we can send in? Now that you mentioned grandma's recipes and regional favorites, I could send in Grandma's famous Norwegian Meatballs and of course being from the midwest I feel obligated to submit a "Hot Dish" recipe :lol: .

I love all the pictures, I'll try for some with my gang this weekend.

17. MommaOfMuse

Nope no limit...the more the better, because one can never have too many recipes! And that is the best part about putting it on CD, we aren't limited by a printer on how many recipes or pictures we want to use. Unless of course, I run out of disc space...lol

18. MommaOfMuse

19. MommaOfMuse

20. MommaOfMuse

21. MommaOfMuse

22. MommaOfMuse

23. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I'd love to send my grama's Anise cookie recepie....I just need to find where I put it! since Cedric was diagnosed shortly after I moved, I still have boxes and stuff hanging around! Where do we send the recepies?

24. MommaOfMuse

You send them to me...email, inkedcat @ hotmail. com (remove spaces).

25. doombuggy

bump so I remember....I think I know where i put the reciepe - I have tons of 42 " cabs in the kitchen and I only us the microwave! Maybe I need to amke the cookies this holiday season!

26. MommaOfMuse

Just a reminder to get those gourmet cat pictures and recipes to me.
    To answer a few questions that I have received lately....

Okay so you don't cook, I'm also looking for some handy household tips, these can be anything from making your own cleaning products, interesting uses for normal household items, like cleaning mini blinds with used dryer sheets, or a creative way to get all those little blood splatters off the walls after testing.

For my part I have submitted lists of subtitutions in recipes, you know that stuff you discover you don't have while in the middle of cooking dinner, as well as my soft lemon cookie recipe.

Now about those cooking cat pictures...cat doesn't cook either. Then I will take pictures of your cats helping you order pizza or sharing chinese take out with you. Do they help you go through the take-out menus?

Also for those of you that don't cook yourselves, these recipes don't need to be your own. Go hit up grandma, mom, coworkers or friends. Also with summer and the grilling season upon us...Got a killer marinated? Dynamite bar-be-que sauce...everything is welcome.

And since we are an international bunch. I would love to see recipes that are local favorites from around the world.

Now why all this fuss about those cooking cat pictures...well because we are on a cover cat model search. As of Sept 1st, while I will still be taking recipes, I am going to stop taking pictures, so we can start the search for the best of the best Kitchen Cat picture to grace our Cookbook CD cover. We will be holding a contest at $1 a vote, with the prize of a free cookbook for that cat's personal servant and a lovely handmade catnip toy for the kitty him/herself. So get creative and your fluffy friend might become famous.

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang (who are busy right now in the kitchen inspecting mom's pots and pans)

27. doombuggy

bump
    emailing you shortly...

28. MommaOfMuse

Thanks Jess got them and they sound fabulous, isn't it funny how something so simple as Grandma's Christmas cookies can invoke fond childhood memories?

29. Rob & Harley (GA)

Hi Mel,

I just sent you my Lasagna recipe. I'll look for more to send in this afternoon.

Robin

30. MommaOfMuse

Thanks Robin,

Good thing too as I can use some more main dishes, got some really yummy desserts so far and a salad I may have to try before the cookbook comes out, it sounds that good!.

Right now I have 2 cookie recipes, 1 chinese green salad, and one pie. so your lasagna recipe will be the first in the main course section YAY!

Mel, Maxwell & The Fur Gang

31. MommaOfMuse

32. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mel,
    Just sent you two main dishes, a side, and a beverage.
    Thanks for doing this,
    Marcy

33. MommaOfMuse

Woohoo Thanks Marcy! Now will Klinger be posing for pictures? Perhaps in a nice french maid outfit so he can live up to his namesake...lol

34. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

:lol: I picture him wearing one of those flowery hats and pearls. :lol: I'll see what I can do.

35. MommaOfMuse

LOL A flowery hat, pearls and a ruffled apron he would be quite stylish....lol

36. hnkstr

hnkstr Member

What are the limits of the cookbook? About the same time Tigger was diagnosed with Diabetes i was diagnosed with Gluten and Dairy allergies.
    I could put together some dairy/gluten free recipes if they would work in this cookbook.
    I told him to stop whining about his diabetic catfood cause my food restrictions stink too! lol

37. MommaOfMuse

Brent,

There is absolutely no limitations on the cookbook that is why we are putting it out on cd, so we don't have to be limited by a publisher. :D

And I know, I for one could use a bunch of non-dairy recipes, as I'm lactose intolerant myself, and I'm running out of ideas...hehe

We would love to have some of our new members submitting to this project to benefit DCIN and all they do for our beloved sugarcats.

38. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Mel,

Maybe you could come up with legends that mark recipes as having certain characteristics, like menus will put a heart beside a heart-healthy meal. I could give you plenty of low-sodium stuff, but very few would eat it.

V

39. MommaOfMuse

I can do that like maybe a cow with the universal no sign for dairy free kind of thingy

40. hnkstr

hnkstr Member

Just sent one for a Dairy/Gluten free Cream of Mushroom soup that replaces the condensed can version. Great for Tator Tot Hotdish or Green Bean Caserole recipes. I'll send more as I get them together. Now I just have to get pictures. lol

41. MommaOfMuse

Awesome....that one especially will come in handy around here...I use lots of cream of mushroom soup and then pay for it the next day :roll:

Mel, Maxwell and the Fur Gang

42. MommaOfMuse

Now I already knew we had a bunch of very talented and creative people here, and while I don't expect everyone to go to this extreme I thought I would share one of the pictures for the cookbook that I have received to help get those creative juices flowing....

[​IMG]

Thank you so much Donna.

43. hnkstr

hnkstr Member

That's pretty cool. I'm a techie and have the skills to do such stuff, but lack the creativeness that is needed! lol

44. kse

kse Well-Known Member

That is real cool!!!

That is our beloved PZI kitty Asher and his brother Alby!

Great job Donna!

45. MommaOfMuse

Brent,

Can you please resend your dairy free Cream of Mushroom soup recipe I didn't receive it...I have PMed you my email addy to make sure you sent it to the right place.

Thanks

46. hnkstr

hnkstr Member

You betcha. Just sent it out. Actually made it last night to use in Tator Tot Hotdish, I think it is very good substitute for canned Cream of Mushroom.

I used fresh mushrooms though, not the canned stuff it calls for.

47. MommaOfMuse

Thanks! Yeah I'm a fresh ingredient kind of girl too. Canned and frozen are okay in a pinch or when things aren't in season, but nothing tastes as good as fresh. And the upside for DH is the bigger our home garden gets the less he has to mow...lol

48. MommaOfMuse

While this isn't high enough resolution to use in the cookbook (hubby took it with his cell phone). It does show the kind of kitchen help the Fur Gang gives me...I was deboning chicken the other night for Chicken & Dumplings, and they were making sure I did it right. lol

[​IMG]

49. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

That is quite an interested fur gang, Mel.

50. MommaOfMuse

And that is only half of them, the rest were milling around my feet trying to get me to drop a few pieces, lol

Its rather difficult to get all 11 in a picture, but I keep trying. :lol:

Mel, Maxwell & The Fur Gang

51. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

My goodness, Mel, you get a LOT of help.

In our household, I don't mind if the cats get up on the counters once in a while, but DH
    goes ballistic....so usually the squirt bottle comes out.

Then I have to secretly apologize to them.

52. MommaOfMuse

Well the rule use to be in our household....soft squishy places like laps, couches, chairs, cat trees and perches...okay for cats....hard surfaces...tables, counters, and unprotected window sills....no kitties....then I married the DH....and all my rules went right out the window. There was also a no begging for people food rule, that one disappeared in about 2.5 seconds after we said "I Do!"...Now when he gets home from work, the cats and the dog get a kiss before I do.. :roll: But how can you not love a guy that everytime I say "I want to save another cat" asked when and where do we have to go to pick it up? And starts rearranging the house so we can fit in another cat bed, and litter box.

53. MauiGuppy

MauiGuppy Well-Known Member

Hi Mel,

I have a food blog at pocketdaydreams.wordpress.com and you're welcomed to use any of its recipes. Some popular recipes:

Sweets
    - Mini Carrot Cupcakes (light)
    - Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake (not so light)
    - Mini Cheesecakes (light)
    - Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes (strangely good)

Savories
    - Mini Salmon Bites
    - Japanese-Style Grilled Eggplant
    - Green Beans with Toasted Sesame Dressing
    - Korean Mexican Tacos

Let me know if you need any help with this project. Junior isn't alot of pictures because he tends to delegate.

54. MommaOfMuse

Bumping this up....I stil need a bunch more pictures and recipes.

55. beccalecca

beccalecca Member

Maybe a dumb question, but are you asking for any sort of recipe? Or are you wanting recipes made specifically for kitties?

56. MommaOfMuse

I'm looking for recipes for humans, but pictures of kitties helping out in the kitchen. And no I'm not looking for recipes where the kitty is the main ingredient, cathair on the other hand I do consider at my house to be a condiment...lol

57. MommaOfMuse

58. MommaOfMuse

Bump

Still need a ton of pictures as well as recipes!

59. Rob & Harley (GA)

Hi Mel,

I just sent you a pic. I'll try to send more pics and recipes soon.

Robin

60. MommaOfMuse

Oh that is so cute!!!

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

61. Rob & Harley (GA)

Hey Mel,

I sent in another recipe. I have more if you need/want them.

Robin

62. MommaOfMuse

Keep the recipes coming......but.....you know there is always a but..........I NEED MORE KITTY PICTURES!!! Also we want to include a handy household tips section and I have zilch in that department. Also would love to have some homemade grilling recipes as well as things like drinks, condiments and sides...and while it is at least very true here....cat hair really isn't a condiment :lol:

63. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

remind me where to send recipes?

i could try to work on pictures but it's hard to get them to sit still anymore

64. tuckers mom

Mel,

You should have two pictures from me, the latest one is posted on DCIN FB page of Sam and Sweet Potato on my oven.

I also have a recipe from my coworker for a dessert that I have to send to you. I'll do that now.

65. MommaOfMuse

66. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Mel, what is the cutoff date for recipes?

67. MommaOfMuse

If we are still shooting for a Oct 1st release date then cut off for recipes is Sept 15th. Picture Cut off date Sept 1st so we can get a vote on the cover art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.