Another Diabetic Looking for a Home--Murray

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Venita, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Near Passaic NJ. I don't have a photo yet, but all info is on the Cats in Need Blog. Copied here for your convenience:

I received this email a couple days ago:

I sent a follow-up email and got this information:

1. Name? Murray

2. Breed/markings? Tabby, Brown/Black Fur, Green Eyes

3. Declawed? No

4. Picture? Pending

5. Any other comments on general disposition other than those already stated? He is shy at first, but takes about a week or so to warm up to someone. Once he knows them, he loves to be near people and will sit on your lap or next to you. He comes when I whistle. He's obedient. He likes to play (favorite toys are feather toys). He likes to cuddle.

6. How does the cat get along with other cats, with dogs, and with children? I don't have children of my own, but he was fine with visitors. I don't have other pets so not sure about other animals. My guess is that he would not attack any animals and stay away from them - he doesn't strike me as an extrovert.

7. Will the cat be leaving/has the cat left a home where he was particularly bonded with another pet? N/A

8. How long diabetic? Diagnosed in Oct 2007

9. How diagnosed? Vet checked blood/fructose levels

10. History of DKA or hypoglycemia? Not sure

11. Past and current clinical symptoms of diabetes? Drinks alot of water

12. Current insulin (type/amount/frequency)? PZI insulin - 5.2 units once every 3 to 4 days a week. Short syringe U-100.

13. Accustomed to hometesting with a glucometer? I have a special litter box ( I can provide it to the new owner) where a draw comes out and you can dip the stick in the pee to check glucose.

14. History of blood glucose readings? (If a spreadsheet isn't available on the web, perhaps a general description of the cat's readings.): Last test was months ago - result was normal.

15. Other health issues, including any recent or current dental, urinary tract, or upper respiratory problems? He may have allergies as he sneezes sometimes, but nothing diagnosed.

16. Any behavior problems (such as spraying or inappropriate urination)? Inappropriate urination when he was sick right before diabetes diagnosis. If I don't change litter box, he defecates next to it.

17. Status of vaccinations? Rabies in 2007.

18. Are vet records available? Can a potential adopter speak to the cat's current vet? Yes. Parkview animal hospital in Passaic. Dr. Staubach.

19. Anything else you think a potential adopter might want to know? He's a shy boy at first, but after getting to know you, he's a purr machine and will be your best friend. He's a lap cat and loves to climb into bed, sit next to you, watch tv and such. He's a gentle giant - never bit me or growled at me. He also loves to be held and sometimes hugs you when held. He also loves to be brushed.

Right now he eats only dry food - Purina Kitten Chow and sometimes Purina Indoor Chow mixed in. Dr. said to keep him on a higher protein diet and recommended kitten chow for that reason. It seems to be working as his last visit on 12/11/09 and showed blood fructose levels in excellent condition.

At this point, I give him insulin every three to four days. His medication costs about $30 every quarter and needles about $25 every 6 months (Wedgewood Pharmacy - mail order RX). Shipping and tax is about $12. Next RX to be refilled is in March. His vet is Parkview Animal Hospital in Passaic (Dr Staubach and his assistant).

I did respond with some comments, including an offer to help the owner get started hometesting and observations about the insulin dosage and food. I invited the owner to lurk here or to to join the FDMB. I don't know the owner's name, but if you see Murray's Mum come on Board, please give her a warm welcome.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Photos

[​IMG]

From what I've been learning, this sweet fellow really needs a new home.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.