Another Further Update On Blackie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the vet wants us to drop off the #'s whenever, so that they can keep track of it along with us. I'm presuming that they're on board with this as well...? I certainly wouldn't want to keep them out of the loop, and would like to let them know what we're doing. They're stumped as to why she's not responding well to their treatment. Hence, I did the search online and found this website (thank you to whoever created this message board... It's helping us all out with our diabetic kitties.)

Anyway, I just checked her BG lvl +2, and she's 303. She dropped 38 points since the AMPS reading. She was given 1 unit after eating, and was given a full can of FF with some water added (almost 1/4 can's worth). Will check her at +5, and then again +8 (the latter being her napir). This is going to be a very interesting week.

Another thing... I think my husband's finally realized that this board isn't so bad after all. LOL I kept telling him that nobody on here would steer me wrong. Now that I've been showing him the #'s, I think he's got his proof.

Again, I thank everyone for helping me on this, especially my newfound friend, Mary and her Stormy Blue. Without them, I'd be at a loss right now.

How long will it take for her to get more stable? At what point do I mention Lantus to our vet?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

With a newly dx'd kitty it is never too soon to discuss Lantus with your vet. It has a great reputation for getting cats into remission if they are started on it ASAP. If you do switch to Lantus, please read up on it and try to get a handle on using this insulin. It is all on the Lantus forum.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Angela,
    I just had to say Hi to the new Blackie and Blackie's mom. My Blackie is a 17 year old male and he has been diabetic since 2005. If you are interested in Lantus, go to the Lantus Board (look in the Board Index) and at the top you will see lots of different posts with info on Lantus.

I hope you and Blackie do well.

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Hi, Ele and Blackie, and thank you. :) I'll be sure to put Lantus in my favorites. My diabetic cat list is growing with a lot of information from you all. LOL :)

Blackie's been on the Fancy Feast diet the first time today for a full day. I have been giving her a curve all day (taken every 2 hours), and am about to give her a PMPS test, feed then shot. Poor baby's ears are track marked now. LOL Her levels were good this morning, but they've risen some this afternoon to 453 at 4:30 p.m. I was warned that today's curve may be false #'s because she was on Hill's Prescription W/D dry, and then switched to Hill's Prescription W/D wet this past Saturday. She hypo'ed yesterday, and I fought to bring her levels back up. Then, last night, she was put on the Fancy Feast and her insulin shot was knocked right down to 1 unit 2x a day for now. Today, though, is the first full day of the FF diet. Going to take some time for those carbs to work their way out of her system.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I add more water to my girls' food and I'm adding almost 1 can of water to Blue's food.

By adding water - keep in mind and don't be alarmed by the following:

1) your cat may stop drinking from the water bowl, this is normal as she is getting the water she needs from what you are adding to the food

2) you may find a lot more pee in the LB, again this is normal, as you are putting more water in her body and she's eliminating it naturally

I would recommend that you also test for ketones in case you are not aware of this. You can buy ketostix at any pharmacy (diabetes section) - it's a urine test, so your challenge may be getting the stick into urine - if you can do it while she's going great, if not, we have tricks we can help you with.

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I was able to get 2 samples in 2 days. The first (being yesterday), I noticed a drop when she went pee, but didn't clean herself right away. I jumped at the chance, grabbed a stick, and waited 15 seconds. Neg. :)

Today, I was able to catch her sniffing the boxes and quickly got the stick (had this one at the ready, I tell you! LOL), and quickly put it behind her as she was going. Again, neg. :) I'll be doing this for about another 3 or 4 days to be sure things are normal.

7. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

two thumbs up!

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.