Another newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chibishuman, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chibishuman

Chibishuman New Member

Hello, all, my Chibi was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Actually, I should say high blood sugar, although the assumption is that it is diabetes. She hadn't been herself for a while, but then began vomiting and diarrhea pretty much at the same time. I spent several hours in the wee hours of the morning at an emergency vet who ran tests and found her blood sugar about 400. So I have been struggling with learning to give injections. I have worried myself silly about every little thing including reading the measuring lines on the syringes, worrying that she wasn't getting the proper measurement of insulin from too much to too little. Chibi, I don't think, got much sleep or peace and quiet for several days because everytime she would hunker down for a nap or just to chill out I was checking to make sure she was okay. There was also (she is longhaired) the issue of actually breaking the skin and getting the insulin in the body, but I think I have that conquered too. But now I have a new hurdle.

I'm not sure if this is the place to post it, but if not, MODS please move this where it needs to be. The vomiting and diarrhea have come back. She was diagnosed with a bacterial infection of the large intestine and was given antibiotics, at the same time that the diabetes was diagnosed. We got through the initial course of medication losing only a couple of pills (giving a cat pills is not one of my stronger points). But now it is back. And in full force. Chibi does not act as if she is in pain, but she had begun to refuse to eat, and she vomits and has very liquid diarrhea that is mostly just water and blood at this point. Tests were run and parasites and all the other possibilities have been ruled out. Tonight I am starting her on another round of antibiotics. And now it is getting harder and harder for her to get to the litterbox because it is just bloody fluid. My vet knows about most of this, but the bloody water he doesn't because it just started tonight. Has anyone had this problem before in connection with diabetes? She was on 1.5 units Lantus 2x a day, but because she's not eating he reduced it to 1.0 2x a day. I am worried to death and I know I am about to have another sleepless night.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Bloody diarrhea may or might not be infection. If it is an infection, an antimicrobial may help ... if it is the right match.

Meanwhile, it is important to keep him as hydrated as your can. If you pull up the scruff of his neck and release, does it stay pulled up (tented)?

3. Chibishuman

Chibishuman New Member

No, it doesn't. It wants to go back into place immediately. My biggest worry though is that anything she drinks will go straight out the other end. There's not even any odor anymore. I will keep some water close by though and when I give her her pills, I have a syringe I can use to make sure she gets water if she won't take it on her own.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In some cases, plain psyllium powder may be given to soak up excess fluid in the bowel and provide some form to the output.

5. Chibishuman

Chibishuman New Member

I was wondering if there were something like that. Thank you for that suggestion. Maybe I'll hit the healthfood store tomorrow. How would I give it to her?

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Start with just a pinch to 1/8 teaspoon. Add to canned food. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Feed.

7. Chibishuman

Chibishuman New Member

Thank you so much. I will definitely try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.