Another newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen and Jasper, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Jasper

Jen and Jasper New Member

Hi all. As I'm sure just about everybody says, I'm glad to have found this group!

My 16-year old kitty, Jasper, was officially diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. He was due for his yearly check up in May, but he's lost quite a bit of weight lately (while eating more than normal), and I could tell he just hasn't been feeling well, so I took him in last week. My mom's cat has hyperthyroidism, so that's what I was thinking. Well, his thyroid, kidneys, etc. checked out fine, but his blood glucose was 342. The vet wanted me to bring him back for a fasting glucose test, which I did yesterday, and he was just over 400. So, yep. Diabetes. I take Jasper back in the morning, and he gets to spend a few days hospitalized while they get him regulated, and while they train me how to give him his shots and such. I'm okay with the thought of giving him injections, I'm just still trying to absorb everything, as well as figure out financial budgeting issues, scheduling issues, and all that stuff.

Anyway, I'll probably just be poking around a bit over the next week or so. If I don't say much, it's just because I'll be busy reading. :smile:

2. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you wish you never had to be. :) You'll find lots of valuable information here and lots of very kind people who are patient and willing to answer all your questions.

I am surprised that your vet is making you bear the cost of having your cat spend the night to get him "regulated" before starting things on your own. My Willie started at similar if not higher numbers, but we just started his insulin at home and found that things happened quickly. If you are worried about costs, you may want to talk to your vet about why the overnight stay is necessary (there may be other health concerns).

A few things that are important:

1) Your best weapon in treatment is getting your cat onto an all-wet low-carb diet. For many cats, this alone makes an enormous difference in getting to remission quickly. The stickies contain great information including Janet and Binky's food charts, which will help you pick foods based on carb %. Folks here tend to stick to foods under 10%, though many of us go with 4% or less carbs.

2) The other key piece is home-testing. By knowing Jasper's sugar levels before giving every shot, you ensure that you are never giving him insulin in a situation where his numbers are too low. Spot checks and home curves will help you understand how the insulin is working for Jasper and will prevent the need for BG curves at the vet's office, where the numbers are often inflated due to stress. You can request a newbie kit, which includes the supplies you need to get started testing at home. Many folks here use the Relion Confirm or Micro meter from Walmart. The meter is $9, and the strips cost $20 for 50 or $12 for 20. You'll also want some ketone stix, which allow you to be proactive in preventing Diabetic Ketoacidosis, which can be fatal in cats, and is very expensive to treat.

3) You'll also want to talk to your vet about insulin choices. Most users here are using long-acting insulins such as Lantus, Levemir, PZI or Pro-Zinc. These insulins allow twice-daily dosing and cats do well on them. Other insulins such as Humulin N are disfavored as they are harsh insulins that can make a cat's numbers drop very quickly, but wears off too soon so cats spend much of the day unregulated. Read up on the stickies and you'll learn about the advantages/disadvantages of each one. If your vet recommends Lantus, you should ask them to prescribe the solostar pens rather than the vials. Most people find that they end up wasting a great deal of insulin because the lantus stops being effective before you can use the whole vial. The pens have a smaller amount in them. You do not use the "pen needles" that a human user uses, but rather you use the same insulin syringe you would use with a vial. While the upfront costs of the pens are higher... a pack of 5 can cost as much as $250, they do last much longer than the same $ worth of vials. Many people order them more cheaply from Canada, or have found that pharmacies such as Costco or hospital outpatient pharmacies will allow you to purchase one pen at a time.

Please feel free to ask lots of questions as you read the materials on the site. The learning curve is a bit steep and may seem daunting, but it quickly becomes very routine. My Willie was diagnosed 3 months ago, and it is amazing how much easier things are today.

Good luck!

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Unless your cat has DKA or something just as serious, don't waste your money or time in taking him to "get regulated". No cat can get regulated in a few days and certainly not in a vet/hospital setting.

I too was told the same thing with Maui only to find this board and learn what a waste that is.

Rather, go out and get some supplies so you can start taking care of Jasper yourself:

What you need and all this can be purchased at a human pharmacy:

- ketostix or ketodiastix - found in diabetes section - this tests the urine for ketones
    - glucometer, strips and lancets - many people go to Walmart and purchase the Relion brand - it's cheap, doesn't use a lot of blood, easy to use
    - petroleum jelly - for rubbing on ears to help bead up blood
    - neosporin - to help with bruising on ears
    - low carb canned food - see Janet & Binky's list

- script from vet for insulin and hopefully the vet will teach you how to administer it, if not, we will, no worries

Here is what I typically send to newbies - that has the links and additional info you need:

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments. Or you could also choose PZI or the new version called Prozinc.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

Welcome to the group.

4. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi Jen, and, of course, you too, sweet Jasper,

Wow! He's a most handsome furry boy, isn't he?! No wonder he stole your heart!

Are you smiling? It's okay to still smile, dear Jen... Breathing is also helpful... Okay, chocolate, grapes aged in oak, and I understand that ice cream can also help... Not Jasper. No! You!

That was the fun, taking care of you, part...

Now, it's Jasper's turn... And, trust me, this can still be fun, Jen. There's nothing like dancing with a sugar cat! But, the reality is, it's not so fun in the beginning... You have to figure in the emotional, worry, angst, brain overload from researching, stuff. And, my personal favorite? Wondering if life can actually be lived in 12-hour increments? It can!

Here's the real poop (...). Please understand that I'm a hopeful person by nature; but, the chances of getting Jasper's diabetes regulated at his vet's are next to nil. Why? He's at the vet's. He's not with you. Probably is getting different food. Shall we count the ways?

You're already being proactive by recognizing he wasn't feeling well, taking him in to be seen; and, researching feline diabetes. Go the next step. Request a newbie kit from here (trust me, I understand financial angst as well...) and learn how to home test. Better yet, drive to your nearest CVS, Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, wherever and pick up a meter while you wait for your newbie kit. I just got a CVS TRUEtrack meter, 10 test strips, and 10 lancets for $13.99 a couple a couple of weeks ago. And, get this, Jen, there was a rebate, so it will eventually be free. Who doesn't love free?!?!?! And, for future reference, you can get 50 test strips for that meter for $31.99. And, depending on what meter you get in your newbie kit, check out Hocks.com (use the link from here for Hocks, as the FDMB gets a donation) or ebay for good prices on test strips. (No, I'm not a newbie. Was just having meter issues...)

Okay, so we've initially taken care of you and Jasper. You're good to dance!

Please let us know how he's doing at the vet's when you can, Jen. And, what insulin and dose his vet thinks is best for him, okay?

And, keep reading! When I was an emotional train wreck of a newbie with Giz, someone here told me that knowledge is power! They were right.

Welcome to the place you never wanted to be; but, will be blessed for having found.

Love and encouraging hugs for you and Jasper,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart, and who sent me Nikki...

PS: You're going to hear about diet and catching pee (really not that gross...) from others. I just wanted to say hi...

5. Jen and Jasper

Thanks for the welcomes and the info!

Jasper thanks Deb for the compliment. ;) I was lucky to get him. He was originally my in-laws' cat, but they moved out of state and my husband and I took him in.

I guess I should have mentioned that Jasper also has IBD and has been vomiting (which I just attributed to an IBD flare-up and gave him his Pepcid, but now I know it could be from the diabetes. or both), and that's why my vet suggested he stay at the hospital for a few days. He also wants me to bring a supply of Jasper's usual food and a list of the amounts and times I usually feed him, so they can base the dose on that rather than the hospital food. I'm also not entirely sure he used the term "regulated", it may have been my own interpretation when all the random thoughts flew through my mind. I trust the vet... my entire family has been taking cats to him for over 20 years now and he's always done a fantastic job with them, and I feel MUCH more comfortable going that route, even with the extra expense. He did mention he'd show me how to do the home tests if I was interested in doing that (his suggestion).

On the plus side, due to Jasper's IBD, he has to eat grain-free food, so he's already on a high protein, low-carb diet (Wellness grain-free wet food... it's the only grain-free food he'll eat), so I don't need to make any changes there. :)

The vet suggested ProZinc for the insulin, and based on what I'm reading, it seems like a good choice.

And thanks for the info on the newbie kits! I'll definitely check that out.

Hehe, I'm fine with dealing with pee and poop. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab once a week helping clean cages, feed raptors, etc, and if I can deal with goose poop and half-eaten dead rats, I can handle any grossness! ;)

Anyway, thanks again... and I'm back to reading!

Jen

(Oh... and I'm in Michigan. Detroit area)

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Jen and Jasper,

He is a beauty! With the IBD, it is understandable that you would want the vet to start the insulin and monitor. Our real concern is that if Jasper is stressed at the vet (and with all the strange noises, sounds, animals and people who are NOT the mommy - why wouldn't he be?) that the stress will raise the blood glucose levels. Thus a dose determined by the vet in his office may be too high once the kitty is home and relaxed. That is one of the reasons we would love you to test at home (hurrah that your vet is on board!)

It sound like you have the food down pat. PZI is a nice mild insulin. Here is some info: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32799 We all have hints that helped us with the testing at home. Here is a shopping list:

A human glucometer. Any one that sips and takes a tiny sample is fine. The meters are often free at drug stores; it’s the strips that are expensive. You can, however, buy them on ebay at less than half the price of stores. Lots of people here also like the ReliOn from Walmart. It is an inexpensive meter and its strips are the cheapest around. Try the meter out on yourself or someone else before you try it on your cat. You want to be familiar with it before you poke the cat.

Lancets and a lancet device. Usually, until the ears “learn” to bleed, a 25-26 gauge is good. Any brand will work.

Ketone strips. (Ketostix) Just like human diabetics use. You will sometimes need to test urine if the numbers are high.

Rice sack. Make this out of thinnish sock, filled with raw rice or oatmeal and then knotted. You heat this in the microwave until very warm but not hot. Then heat the ears before poking.

Also nice to have. Flashlight: so you can look at the ears and find the little capillaries that come off the vein running down the ear. Vaseline: Put a tiny smear where you want to poke. It will help the blood bead up.

And some lo carb treats to give your kitty, successful test or not Lo carb treats

And a video: Video for hometesting

Keep reading and asking questions as needed. We would love to help you and Jasper in this sugar dance!

7. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Detroit, MI area + IBD

Hi again, dear Jen, and, of course, you too, most handsome, Jasper,

I have a very brief (YAY!) goose poop story. A few years ago, was tossing a frisbee with a friend in a local park and went running to catch it after he made a really long toss. Actually did catch it because my speed was incredibly and unexpectedly accelerated when I slid through quite a patch of goose poop...

You are so good to dance, Jen.

Love and continued encouraging hugs for you and your family,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

PS: I think Jasper is the lucky one...

8. Jen and Jasper

Okay, so Jasper and I are both lucky. :D

Ahhh... yeah.... that goose poop is slippery stuff, all right!! I know I've slid in it at the wildlife center more than once. Geese have to be the messiest creatures alive!

9. Jen and Jasper

Hi Sue!

Jasper thanks you for the compliment as well. ;-)

Yeah, the vet did mention that Jasper's glucose would probably be elevated while hospitalized, and that's when he mentioned the home testing. Thanks for the info on PZI, and for the shopping list. I'm about ready to head out to the store shortly, so I'll see what I can find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.