Another Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JaimeAnne, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaimeAnne

JaimeAnne New Member

Hello,

The love of my life (besides the husband) was diagnosed with Diabetes today, his blood sugar was at 480.

I was working so my husband took him to the vet and the details he remembered/gave me are sketchy but he he did say that the Vet told him that he had a couple with a cat who decided not to treat him right away and 4 years later when the cat was down to 6lbs they started treating him and he lived for another 4 years...to me that sounds like an atypical circumstance and that he's setting us up for false hope. Would you agree? :?

We haven't started treatments and he didn't ask the vet how much they were so I don't know what to expect, the vet just told him it was 3 shots a day & "expensive". My expensive & his expensive are two different numbers.

My cat is 12 years old and perfectly normal except for his water intake-which is why we took him to the vet.

Any words of encouragement? I am beside myself just thinking of the thought of loosing him (he's been in my life 6 years longer then my husband has, I don't know adult life without him)!! :cry:

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the place you really don't want to be, but we're glad you found us.

You can begin by reading our FAQ, here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm

I must say right up front, because it worries me a little, I'm concerned about your vet's saying
    that 3x per day insulin shots would be necessary.

The great majority of cats who need insulin get two shots per day, about 12 hours apart.

The vet saying 3 shots makes me wonder if he is up-to-date on the current best insulins for cats.
    I sure hope he's not going to prescribe Humulin R, which is a very harsh, fast-acting insulin, usually
    only appropriate in emergency settings. You want something gentle and long-lasting.

The best insulins for cats right now are Lantus and Levimir. Those are both human insulins, used
    for cats, too !

A couple of veterinary insulins are BCP PZI, Pro Zinc....those are relatively good. Another
    veterinary insulin, Caninsulin is not as good.

In no case should your vet recommend Humulin N and especially not Humulin R.

OK....now BREATHE !

The good news is that some cats can be helped a lot with diet change.

Diabetic cats need a LOW CARB, CANNED FOOD diet. Removing dry food and switching
    to a low carb canned food diet can lower the BG by 100-200 points. There are lots of
    canned foods you can get at the grocery store....Fancy Fest and Friskies...any flavors that
    do not have gravy and do not have corn or wheat or other grains in them.

We have a whole list of acceptable foods (Binky's list).

You do not need to purchase prescription food from your vet. It is way expensive and the
    ingredients are poor. Many cats just won't eat it anyway. Must taste terrible.

More good news: you can do your own home testing of BG for your kitty and save BIG BUCKS.

Some vets will not even mention that you can home test, or even discourage it. We strongly
    advocate it here. And you can get a free New-comer kit from us....includes a BG test meter and
    some other goodies. Just go here:
    http://www.kitsforcats.webs.com/
    and click on "Web Store".

You do not need your vet's permission to home-test. Home test your cat and you will be
    in control of managing kitty's diabetes. You would not give yourself or your child insulin without
    knowing if it was safe, would you ? We can teach you to home-test ! We have videos !!

Even more good news:

Some cats can become diet controlled. Some cats need insulin for a short time and a diet
    change and then go OFF THE JUICE (OTJ...not needing insulin any more).

I've rambled on enough....others will be chiming in soon.

We want to help...we will hold your hand as much or as little as you want.

Diabetes is not a death sentence for your cat (name of cat ? )

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, you have already gotten the basics so I'll fill in the words of encouragement.

I adopt my guy as a diabetic, now if you look down at my signature, way down at the bottom you will see the list of critters that live here...didn't need anymore, but this guy had already survived hurricane Katrina, so I wasn't about to let him die because he was just a little extra sweet. He was 485 when he was diagnoised 8 months ago. Today he is healthy and happy and has been off insulin for 7months. All thanks to the folks here. He is also 12 years old.

In fact he is doing so well by this time tomorrow, I'm going to be snuggling with my new 11 year old adopted diabetic, and I truly believe with a little love and care, she too will at some point get to celebrate receiving her last shot of insulin, and if she doesn't ever get to that's okay too, 2 little shots that she will hardly feel and a couple quick pokes to her ear to test her blood sugar is just such a small price to pay for having a new friend.

Just breathe, you can do this and hav your best friend and love of your life with you for a very long time to come...We have some kitties here that are in their 20s. :D

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

4. JaimeAnne

JaimeAnne New Member

Thanks so much! You have stopped my sobbing and given me hope!! I didn't know that in some cases the insulin could be stopped after a while--that's encouraging because I lost my other BFF to renal failure 2 years ago and giving him his subQ shot each day was heart breaking. :sad:

My *son's* name is Sabu, he is the best cat ever (IMO). He comes when I call him, talks to me, cuddles with me, even travels well! I've had him since I was 18 & I'm now 33, so life as an adult just wouldn't be the same without him!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

You got the basic overview previously, which most of us will echo:

1) get kitty on low carb canned food listed on Binky's page that may drop the glucose level 100 points just doing that
    (480 - 100 = 380 not great, some of us may start the day that high)

2) start testing - tests at home may be 100 points or more lower than at the vet
    (380-100 = 280 still higher, but safer. some regulated kitties start the day in the upper 200s)
    - also keep a record of your testing, so you can document the need for insulin when you go back to a vet

3) the long acting insulin pens (300 units) may cause a bit of sticker shock, until you realize that 1 pen may last 6 weeks or more if handled gently, because you'll use maybe 1 unit twice a day to start. Once on an insulin, we have forums specifically for Lantus users, Levemir users, and PZI type users.

4) if your current vet is out of date, after reading up on this site, shop for a more knowledgeable vet OR find one willing to learn and work with you (current vet may be open to updating, always worth a shot and we've got Vet articles you can print out to share)

6. totallybeachin

totallybeachin Member

Welcome.
    Lots of good advice already flowing in, so I won't add to it.
    Someone here says often enough that it sticks in my mind, but is very appropriate.
    This is not a race, more like a marathon.
    Small steps will get you there.
    When you are done doing a little (that's code for lots!) reading, we're here to answer any questions you may have.
    This disease is very manageable, and initially, upfront costs *may* be a little high, but not outrageously high. Insulin, syringes, stuff like that.

Just take a deep breath, we have all been where you are. We love our babies too. That's why we are here.
    (((hugs)))

I hope I am not out of line here, but another member posted a poem they wrote in another thread. It is beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye. I want to share it with you. I hope the owner doesn't get mad... :smile:

Finding FDMB
    © 2004 By Carol Notermann

Alone I heard the words I’d feared, alone and terrified.
    Did no one know or understand, I cursed the tears I cried.
    I’ll beat this thing, I’ll prove them wrong for he is my best friend
    There has to be some help somewhere, this cannot be the end.

The vet had been so cavalier, explaining choices to be made.
    I’d heard his words, but in my brain, too few of them had stayed.
    I ran to my computer, typed in the word I’d heard
    As I hit “search” I trembled, for I hated that darn word.

The list popped up, and there I saw, that I was not alone.
    I clicked on one, and read the text, but those words too had flown.
    Then next I clicked, a message board, with others just like me.
    I typed the words, “I’m just so scared, I’m crying and can’t see.”

Within a minute, maybe two, I was welcomed with a (hug).
    They said to simply take a breath, my heart, it felt a tug.
    For here were others just like me, they seemed to understand.
    No one said to PTS, they said they’d lend a hand.

Thus guided by the “experts” that had no vet degree
    I learned about this thing I feared, they took each step with me.
    They told me of the blood tests, how to poke his little ears.
    I learned of its importance, to shoot and have no fears.

I learned to simply trust my “gut”, and that I knew my cat.
    I learned to treat a “hypo”, my testing spotted that.
    I’ve cried tears of joy with others, and also tears of pain.
    We are a world-wide family, we cheer each others gain.

And now, just four months later, my guy is lying at my feet,
    Our lives are back to “normal”, and the path was not too steep.
    For with the help of all my friends here on FDMB
    I know that I am not alone, and that’s enough for me.

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely they can come off insulin, especially Lantus, we have about an 80% remission rate on that particular insulin, I'm not sure what the figures are with the others as both my adopted babies are Lantus kids.

And if they don't oh well, the needles are so small, really almost no bigger than a human hair, they seldom even feel them. A lot of us give them their shots, while they are face down in a bowl of food and they don't even look up.

Feline Diabetes is no harder to manage than it is to manage diabetes in humans. And I'm willing to bet, you know at least a couple people in your life somewhere that are diabetic. :D

And it is perfectly natural to feel scared, and overwhelmed right now, a year ago I was right where you are now, bawling my eyes out and shaking so bad I could barely type. I found this wonderful bunch of folks and got more hugs and words of encouragement than I thought possible. Sadly my first sugargirl passed away but it wasn't diabetes that took her it was cancer. but 5 months later, armed with what she and I had learned here. Maxwell entered my life, and now tomorrow Musette. Its been an incredible journey to be on with Maxwell and I am so blessed to have my wonderful, snuggly boy in my life. And I can hadly wait to get my new extra sweet girl in my arms so that our journey can begin.

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang.

8. Wow. You're story is somewhat like mine, and I'm sure it rings a bell with many people who post here. My Bob went from 20+ pounds to 13 over a six month period. The first few pounds were intentional, as we knew he was obese and put him on a diet. But he went from 18 to 13 in a matter of weeks. That along with the the drastic increase in drinking and peeing finally woke me up enough to take him to see the vet.
    Bob is 11 years old, and we raised him from 3 or 4 weeks old. Anyway his initial blood glucose was well over 500, and he was dehydrated to the point of it being critical. The vet told me a few more days and he wouldn't have made it. Today, after almost 7 weeks of treatment, he's a whole new cat. Nearly "normal"! His numbers are in the 60-200 range, so he isn't quite "there" yet, but the change in attitude and condition is incredible. I guess what I'm saying is that it wasn't too late for Bob, and it's not too late for Sabu either.
    The thing that troubles me most about your post is the vet telling you it was going to be "expensive". Bob is on PZI, and I have no idea how much the other types of insulin cost, but PZI is costing me about a dollar a day, and that's two injections every day. Bob started at 2 units a day, and went as high as 7, but it's averaged out to a dollar a day overall. At first I spent a good bit of money in vet bills with blood tests and one 2-night stay at the vet (because his fluids and potasium levels were critical and required round the clock observation and treatment. But I started home testing immediately, and the cost there is not much either. The strips and syringes and lancets might cost 2 bucks a day or less. My vet also prescribed food (Hills PD) which is expensive, but after 3 days or so, I went right back to commercially available canned food, ditched the Hills (thankfully they took back the unused cans), and tossed the dry food away (lots of happy raccoons that night).
    So, the initial financial impact was pretty big - I had the available cash, and didn't even think twice about spending it, but the initial visit, bloodwork, tests and clinic stay cost around $600. Looking back, some of that probably could have been avoided. If I knew then what I know now, I would have done a lot of the care and testing at home. But since I began home testing, I figure it is costing me about $3.oo a day tops in order to manage Bob's illness. And realistically, if anything, that cost should go down as he improves because I won't be using as much insulin, strips, needles, etc.

Most importantly, as you now realize, you've found a great place on the web, and you've found that you are not anywhere close to "alone" in dealing with this. It's almost scary to see how "common" feline diabetes is. I've only been posting here for two days, and it's incredible how many "Hi, I'm a newbie" posts there have been in the 36 hours since I posted mine!

Breath deep,
    Carl in SC

9. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Welcome! Glad you found this site and the message boards.
    I get the vet prepping you for "sticker shock." I bought a new townehouse (1st time homebuyer at middle age, lol) in March and we moved in 4/14. a week later, Cedric had his annual vet visit where I mentioned that he had been drinking a lot of water (no weightloss). My $149 visit turned into $292 due to the blood tests, BG test (they charge A LOT for those), etc. The insulin vial was $120 for 10 ml, plus syringes, lancets, meter ($9 Reli-on from wal-mart) and test strips ($20 for 50). I had a vacation planned for early May (sister graduated from college in Boulder), so Cedric was boarded at the vet for 5 days (might as well get the dential I was going to have done anyway) and that bill was $541 (they over charged me by $35.50 by accident). He boarded at Best Friends at WDW (the 2nd 1/2 of my trip was at my work!) where I was able to visit him 2x per day (or more if I wanted) to give Cedric his insulin & testing. They also offered a bath, which i jumped on, as he likes baths, had been allowed to be lose at the vet in the cat room, and had gotten into the garage on day #2 at our new home. so that was $41 plus $36 for the 2 days he was boarded at BF/WDW. So I have spent at least $1000 that I wasn't expecting, but....worth it? yep. If I hadn't had that week of vacation planned, the bill would have been a little more than 1/2 that, since I chose to get his dental.

Check out my spreadsheet. Cedric was on insulin (LANTUS) for a month. I changed his food. Currently he only eats canned (notice on the spsh that when I took his dry food -Wilderness by Blue Buffalo - on 5/19, his numbers dropped). I feed him Wellness and Evo. He gets treats when he is tested. I listened to the info on Dr rebecca's main site that talked about where to give the insulin shot - kind of on the side, instead of at the scruff like my vet said. Did that help? My vet can't believe that Cedric got into remission so quick - and he has a dibetic dog & cat at home! :D

I hope your vet prescribes Lantus twice at day for your baby too! Good luck, I need to get ready to work at Walt Disney World.

10. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness I certainly don't mind when people post my poems for someone... That's why I wrote them...

Totallybeachen... What's your name... Beachen could be miss typed and become insulting and I don't want to do that :)

ANYWAY... I wrote this after my heart had started beating at its normal rate.. and Charlie was curled up near me as I worked on the computer... and my fear was gone...

A Time Not Long Ago
    ©2005 By Carol Notermann

I’m sitting here and thinking of a time not long ago
    A time when I did not know, just what I didn’t know!
    It ended with a phone call. The vet had done a test
    And all of us here on this site, I think you’ve guessed the rest.

Thus Feline Diabetes became a real familiar term
    Along with glucose levels, there was much for me to learn.
    “I’m going to have to stick my cat to give him insulin?”
    I knew I couldn’t do it, you all just don’t know him.

My baby’s got an attitude, and I was shocked to see
    That everything you told me, I did and he let me.
    He lets me prick his little ears, and slowly test a drop,
    And stick a strip beneath him, when he’s peeing and can’t stop.

He’s vocal when I give his shot, but sits there very still
    He knows that I won’t hurt him, he knows I never will.
    I’m grateful that I found this site, and took the time to learn
    I’m grateful for you people, who explained each brand new term.

I’m sitting here and thinking of that time not long ago.
    And wanted just to tell you, I’m so glad that now I know
    That ‘Feline Diabetes’ are not the worst words I could hear.
    For this disease is treatable, for that I give a cheer!

11. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi JA and Sabu.

I am glad you found us. I live in Wilmington DE, just 1 hour away from you. If you would like some hands-on hometesting instructions, or just a get together to talk about "frugal feline diabetes," I would be glad to do that. I will send you my phone number by Private Message (PM). Look at the top left of the page, under the Board logo, will be a link that says you have # new messages. Click on that and it will take you to your PMs.

Best of luck. You are in the right place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.