another question about uti

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tonyastonehocker, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyastonehocker

tonyastonehocker New Member

As you can see by my last post baybay has been on alot of meds. I want to change baybay to Lantus or another long acting insulin. He peaks at 6 to 7 hrs on the humilin n then goes up quickly.. From what i researched lantus sounded good. I was reading a post about an insulin I never heard of prozinc? I think I need a different insulin to keep baybays numbers down so he can get rid of the uti's. He is very stubborn and only wants dry. When he ran high and was ravenous I gave chicken only and he started to eat a litle. Its really not enough food for his shot..just a nibble nibble. Id like to keep him on wellness core cause he likes it and when he eats it he has good movements in the cat box and his hair looks very healthy and he seems to feel really good.. The vet said one thing at a time as far as insulin.. My vet is wonderful and listens to my concerns. What insulin would you try . My Belg. terv dog was regulated on novalin N and so was scan. I know everyone says humilin n is the same as the old novalin n but It doesnt feel the same.
    Love some comments
    Tonya Scann and Baybay

2. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Humulin N is classified as an intermediate acting insulin for people. The duration in humans is about twelve hours with a peak at about six hours. Cats, however, metaoblize. Insulin twice as fast as people and dogs. So the Humulin N is probably lasting only six to eight hours in your cat. That leaves your kitty four to six hours without insulin if you give it every twelve hours. You probably notice that most people here use lantus, levemir or prozinc.

I definately think you are on the right track by considering a change in insulin. Once you have your cat's BG regulated then the uti should. be under more control. You may wish to talk to your vet about leaving your cat on a small dose of antibiotics until you can get your cat regulated.

I would encourage you to read the info. On the insulin support groups and then ask your vet to switch insulins. It is unlikely you will get your cat regulated on Humulin N.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi There

i'm familiar with N, tho I used Humulin L which has since been discontinued. I'm not certain whether in fact there is anything different about the way Novalin N vs Humulin N are made but who knows, maybe something is different.

Either way, it doesn't sound like Humulin N is working. I'd suggest either lantus if you can shoot on a pretty strict 12-12 hour schedule, or levemir. I'd skip Prozinc PZI (new formulation of PZI) only because I've heard more consistently good advice about the two L's than Prozinc.

I haven't read your other post but if you are dealing with UTIs then a couple of things to look at include whether a culture and sensitivity test has been done, and as you've mentioned here, getting your cat on an insulin that will provide better duration

Jen

4. tonyastonehocker

tonyastonehocker New Member

Thank you for the replys. Baybay loses weight easily so Id like him to be able to eat a few snacks during the day without it shooting his bg's sky high. Since I have only used Novalin/Humilin N on my guys Im not in the know about other insulins. If we switch to lanyus or levemir can he eat a few small meals during the day. One bad thing about being on N is he takes at least an hour to eat. He eats leaves comes back eats a little more leaves. He has always done that all his life.If you could advise which insulin works with snacking Id be greatful. When Scan was diagnosed he was 23 or so pounds and the vet had him on 5 units of N but he stayed 500+ I had researched rebound after a friend told me about it and even though Scan weighed so much he ended up being regulated on .05 unit of insulin.
    Thanks again
    Tonya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.