another rodent ulcer on civvie, vetalog or depomedrol???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Our civvie cat has had a few rodent ulcers in the past, which all occurred while she was eating wet cat food. For treatment, the vet gave her shots of depomedrol and the ulcers usually went away after a week or two. Thank goodness she has not had any rodent ulcers in SEVERAL months. But of course, today I noticed another one. Twix has been back on dry food since her last rodent ulcer so I'm not sure where this one came from. There is a SLIGHT chance that twix was able to grab a few pieces of mochas wet food but I haven't seen her do it and neither has peter, but of course, we all know how naughty kitties can be when they want something!

My question is this, I know come monday twix is going to need to go to the vet. I would normally take her tomorrow, but we are dealing with a family funeral and there won't be any time before or after the vet closes to take her in. On monday I know the vet will want to do another depomedrol shot for her, but I was wondering if there was any other shot that would be better for twix? I'm so nervous twix will become diabetic with these shots (not that it is a weekly or even monthly shot) because twix would never be able to be treated for diabetes. She's been with us six years now (since 4 weeks old) and I can count on my hands the number of times she's let me or peter pick her up.

2. PeterDevonMocha

Ok,

I have been going through twix's receipts from her previous vet visits with the rodent ulcers. The first time she was there, she got a vetalog 2MG injection ALONG with a convenia injection (No, I did not know about the convenia issues at this time) Just a few short days after that I thought twix was breathing hard so she went back to the vet and the vet gave her a CBC and a diphenhydramine HCL 50 MG/ML, a week after that she had radiographs done (two views) all the bloodwork and the radiographs came back fine. About two weeks after that she developed ANOTHER rodent ulcer and this time at the vets she got another convenia injection ALONG with the depo-medrol 20MG injection. A month and a half after that, she got ANOTHER rodent ulcer and she received JUST the depo-medrol 20MG shot. After this rodent ulcer, she got back on dry cat food and hasn't had one since up until now.

My question is this,

I know that I do not want her to get the convenia shot (since I have read up on the current post about it going on) But I don't know if she should get the depo-medrol shot by itself or the vetalog shot by itself? It seemed that the depo shot did the job, just took a few days and then it cleared up. I don't remember much about the vetalog shot so I don't know which way is the best way to go???

I will be calling the vet in the morning for twix and trying to schedule an appointment, so any advice on either of these two shots would be very very helpful!!

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Things you might discuss with the vet would be doxycycline (an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties) and cyclosporine ( "cyclsporin A"), an immunosuppressive agent. You might also want to pose your question on the Yahoo group, WholeCatHealth. Rosemary, et. al., often suggests supplements to help with such conditions.

4. PeterDevonMocha

thanks venita ... I will look into that group tomorrow as it's late now ...

5. PeterDevonMocha

I'm apparently waiting on approval for that message board. Twix's appointment is tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. If I can't get approved by then to post and get an answer, should I tell the vet I want what venita posted, the doxycycline and cyclosporine instead of the depo-medrol? Are there negative side effects to these drugs? My head is spinning with what decision to tell the vet, I'm scared I will do the wrong one!

6. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

I am a member of the Whole Cat Health board. If you'd like, I can search the archives for you and see if there are any recommendations for Rodent Ulcers until your approval comes thru. Rosemary is usually pretty good about turning approvals around very quickly (usually within a day), but let me know if you don't get word soon and I can do a search for you if it would help.

7. PeterDevonMocha

thank you donna. I just googled doxycycline and it appears as though that is a pill. Twix CANNOT be pilled. no vet has ever gotten a pill down her, well actually one vet got one pill down her when she was younger, but she instantly foamed the entire, whole, back up in a matter of seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.