Another Silly Newbie Question - How do I check Urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommaOfMuse, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

How do I check her urine? We have 9 cats that share 3 litter boxes in 3 different areas of the house and we use clumping litter. I can't stalk her every minute of the day and she is really good about slipping by me. Nor can I talk her into peeing on that little strip for me lol, although I might try.

Mel & Muse

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Well, I must admit -- similar problem - 4 and now 5cats that share litterboxes
    I don't check for ketones in the urine.

Ketones are a risk when blood sugar is high

Another symptom is sweet smelling breath -- so as long as my cats are happy and active, and their breath smells like cat food -- I don't worry about ketones.

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I kept a bunch of small plastic cups (like pill cups) near the litter. If I saw Maggie heading for the box, I'd "stalk" her - pick up a cup and when she started peeing, I'd stick the cup under her butt. Some people use a soup ladle. Others will watch where their cats pee, and dip the strip into the wet, fresh pee. I tested for ketones only about once a month or if there seemed to be a problem.

4. jeanene and chase

jeanene and chase Member

I've isolated the one cat in a room by himself with the box. I have put celophane over the box to catch it, but of course if her nails puncture the plastic, that's no good. You can also try using some clean, rinsed fish aquarium gravel. Good luck!

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well she doesn't have front claws so might try that with the cellophane. I have nice restraunt grade here. Because I know the gravel will be a no go with her...It has to be soft underfoot or the Princess will turn her nose up at it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mel & Muse

6. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

If you decide to try this, you need to check the litter first -- some litters will have a reaction to the ketostix just by themselves. To test the litter, just wet it down with some plain tap water, then dip a ketostix in it. If the ketostix stays the same color, then there won't be any problems with the litter reacting to the ketostix.

7. mooreay

mooreay New Member

We isolate our sugar cat and then use the trick of two litter trays - one inside the other. The top tray has been punctured and acts as a colander over the second tray. We fill the top tray with aquarium gravel as we can re-use it. This might work with clumping litter but I have never tried it. The trick is to isolate the sugar cat as if you don't you never know who you are testing.... :)

I have blood tested for ketones as our meter does both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.