Another thing that is a concern to me :)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy Member

:lol:
    I promise I may run out of questions someday!!

So Bert is about 19 pounds.
    I think he topped out at about 24lbs.
    His ideal weight is about 16ibs.

We have been keeping track of his weight and he is not loosing, but he just "feels" skinny.
    Like when we pet him you can feel the bones in is neck and his back.
    I wonder if it is like in humans and he has had muscle loss.

It makes me sad.
    Is this all a part of having a diabetic cat?

Thanks!!!

2. cjleo

cjleo Member

Kathy,

Please never run out of questions :smile:

Bert will look better soon. Yes, diabetic cats do lose muscle tone when they are unregulated. My observation with my string of diabetic cats is that after 4-6 months on insulin, they begin to look better. They feel better way before they really look better.

Several of my fosters have come in looking like skin and bones with no interest in play. All of a sudden, I look at them and say "boy you look better."

Patience is really a virtue while you regulate a diabetic cat. Enjoy the sugar dance, please!

Claudia

3. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hi,
    I have two diabetics, which I recently put on wet food and they are doing great all round. They are starting to lose weight, at a good rate, but I noticed that one does feel "skinny" on top, even though the rest of him is a 18lb cuddly guy! I came across this article in my attempts to find out about loosing weight. I'm not sure if you were intentionally putting your cat on a diet, but the link below which is written by Dr. Lisa still may be of interest. Check out the paragraph "mistake I made with Bennie"

http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.