another unsuccessful attempt at testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vtambo & Rex, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

well I just tried to test again. again ended up poking his ear three times and still was unable to get an adequate sample before he ran out of the room and hid. and now I am shaking like a leaf.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Deep breaths...I remember that shaky stuff. That's one more down toward success! It takes a bit for their ears to 'learn to bleed' - technically to grow more capillaries to that area. Each time you try, it encourages that to happen and soon it will be old hat! I PROMISE! It really really will!

HUGS! You really CAN do this! Just keep trying and give low carb treats afterwards (freeze dried chicken is good) ...soon he'll sit there for the test just to get the treat.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

thank you for the encouragement. right now I still feel like crying and that I betrayed my precious kitty.

also, I have been seeing the post (GA) a lot, what does that mean?

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Guardian Angel, kitties that have crossed the rainbow bridge.

5. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

It does get easier I promise. I only started here a couple of months ago. The treats work. Phoebe actually will purr during them now. You have not betrayed your furbaby, you are doing the best thing to try and keep him safe. Hugsssss keep at it and cry as much as you need too. I tried the singing technique when I first started. It relaxes you both. Just a gentle easy song. I sang happy birthday. Twinkle twinkle, you are my sunshine. You will get this. What gauge lancet are you using? I got the 28gauge until I got the hang of it and they bled easier. Hugs

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Another big hug! OK, that's enough feeling bad - many people just have their cats put to sleep when they hear diabetes. YOU took the time to research, find what you need to help and ended up here!!!! THAT sure isn't betraying your baby!

Don't let the 'GA' posts worry you, when anyone arrives here, they instantly become family....so welcome to the family of 'extra sweet' kitties! We share the loss when they cross too...

More hugs!

Phoebes (GA) and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  7. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

good idea. thanks. I do already sometimes sing you are my sunshine to him.

8. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

thank you to all. this has just been a very stressful week so far, aside from all this. I have a teenage son as well.....

9. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

geez I get the teenage son, I don't self test Smooch yet we are going for a curve test at vets would rather avoid that due to the cost £180 if I could do it myself , when I look at her ear I am terrified I am going to end up giving her ear piercing with pretty earrings rather then get blood

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  10. Phoebes (GA)

:banghead::banghead::banghead: teenagers!! Ugh :) hang in there cats are easy compared to teens!! Raised 2 myself.

11. Phoebes (GA)

You will get it. If you gently slide from the base of the ear to the hole with your fingers it will help "milk" the blood out. If you get some neosporin ointment not cream it will help it bead on top. :) it's polysporin in the UK I believe.

12. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: totally agree lol

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  13. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

thank you xx

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  14. Yong & Maury GA

I know myself and a couple others kinda went through the ear when we did our first few tests, just apply a little pressure with your thumb and finger after you get the blood drop and it heals very fast. You can put on a little triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin in U.S., polysporin in Canada) on the ear afterwards too.

15. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

totally understand. so far, I don't have pierced ears, just blood blisters. on both sides. :(

16. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

so far - agreed! and my son is only 13, so I have a ways to go. scared.

17. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

my angel !!!! is 14 in 2 weeks :banghead::banghead::banghead::arghh:

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  18. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

oh. good tip. will have to try that. probably feels good too after the poke. that doesn't skew the test result? so you put it on before the poke I assume.

19. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

just read your info about the teenager from hell - first laugh I have had all week. Thanks! :)

20. Yong & Maury GA

Just a thin layer :)

21. Phoebes (GA)

I put it on let sit for a little while and wipe off excess gently with tissue then do bg. It's not messed up my results. And it's ointment like vaseline so the "grease" stays in place. Like my medical terminology?! You don't have to put on everytime. And it's neosporin with pain relief.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  22. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

your welcome, he isn't that bad he loves Smooch to the moon and back, but Smooch loves my dad lol

23. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Don't compare a cat's ear with a human ear or finger - there are very few nerves in a cat's ear, it doesn't hurt like you imagine. Even going thru isn't a big deal. I fold a paper towel piece over my finger against the back of Dakota's ear - when pokie/sip is done, just fold it down over the front, hold for a few seconds (30 or so if I hit the vein) and done.

24. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

no I can imagine it's not as I do bm's at work a lot

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  25. Lillie

Lillie Member

I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I'm new here and have only done a few ear pricks so far and I was shaking too at first. My cat Leo is on a blood thinner so his ears can bleed quite a bit and it can get scary. Now that I've gone through a few I don't feel so shaky. My kitty fights me the whole time but even after just a few pricks now I do feel a little calmer about doing it. It actually recently may have saved his life due to me home testing. He was going too low while on the insulin and the vet told me to go ahead and shoot the next day but to reduce the dosage. I tested first and thank God I didn't shoot because he was in normal levels and didn't need the insulin. They stress here how important it is to home test and I am now a firm believer.

26. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. I haven't started home testing and I'm scared. Yoshi is not a fan of ear things.

27. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

thanks for the encouragement and the testimony. knowing that it could potentially save his life at some point is a great motivation. this whole thing to me is still a bit overwhelming. I know it sounds stupid, but somewhere in my brain I keep on hoping that just by changing his diet he will just spontaneously go into remission. wishful thinking I know.

28. Lillie

Lillie Member

From what I've read some cats do go to remission on diet alone. I have no idea though how many. My Leo's BG levels have been normal for the last few days so he hasn't needed any insulin. When he had his middle of the cycle BG test done he was very low at the vets. I got scared and I think this got me to be more determined to test at home no matter what.

29. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

when was your kitty diagnosed? what do you feed him? what type of insulin is/was he on?

30. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

How often do you test?

31. Lillie

Lillie Member

He was just diagnosed at the end of February but his issues with excess water consumption started two weeks before. I took him off dry food (royal canon selected protein hypoallergenic) and put him on HillsDD duck grain free single protein canned food which is not that low in carbs but can't switch foods very fast due to his IBD. I just received my order from Nature's Variety Instinct duck grain free canned high protein and lower carbs food. I had to get used to the injections first so I wasn't testing every day yet. I started to test last week when he went so low and I'm still not up to twice a day testing yet as his BG levels all of a sudden have been normal so I haven't been injecting. His ear looks awfully red today because he is on a blood thinner and had excess bleeding last night after the prick. I have to test again today though and I'm mentally gearing up for it! He was/is on Prozinc at 1.5u 2x day.

32. Yong & Maury GA

Bare minimum of testing is twice a day at preshot time. Make sure kitty has not eaten anything for 2 hours prior to this so the number is not food influenced ;). You want to make sure his BG is a shootable number. I know it's overwhelming in the beginning but if I was not home testing, I would have given him a full dose of insulin last night and probably killed him. There are many other fur baby lives that have been saved because of home testing as well.

In the back of all our minds I'm sure we hope for remission, but have to realize not all remissions are permanent. I apologize if this sounds kind of forward, I have never been good with diplomacy :oops:

33. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

wow, I am new at this, but seems like maybe just his diet change did the trick. he was only consuming excess water for two weeks. good for you for being so proactive and getting him checked so soon after you started noticing more water being drunk. I noticed in fall that Rex was drinking more but he had been eating some dry food lately and I guess I assumed it was from that, plus the fact that it was not every day that I saw more drinking. I just waited until his regular checkup in January to mention it to the vet. and here we are. he also had pancreas inflammation. does your vet support the at home testing? my "normal" vet (who just went down to part time unfortunately) does support it, but the vet they keep on sticking me with when she is not available is NOT supportive of it and says she "never recommends" anyone to do home testing. she also did a fructosamine test on him and the result came back as 490 which she said was "excellent". when I looked it up myself, 490 is considered "fair" and just barely that. anything over 500 is considered not controlled. so I am just trying to muddle through all this.

34. Yong & Maury GA

Ask the Non-Supportive Vet if she had a baby/infant that needed insulin, would she administer it blindly without testing? I type this a lot but it's an honest thought.

35. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

When I found out that my cat had diabetes, the vet told me most do not home test cats that all I needed to do was bring him in for a curve. After he came home from being hospitalized, I blindly gave Buddy (cat) the dose the vet said. Someone on Yahoo Feline Pancreatitis site told me of FDMD and everyone was home testing. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a Reli-On Micro meter. My cat did not like for me to lance his ear and he would fight me. He had been so sick I did not want to put him through any more, so I stopped trying to test. When I posted on FDMB a member post was telling me how to use the lancet and that it would get easier over time. Buddy started out on 3u of ProZinc, he went in for a curve that was supposed to be all day. When Buddy went in for curve he was on 3U of ProZinc. That afternoon someone called me from the vet's office to tell me Buddy would need to stay over night and the next day same thing happened. Buddy ended up staying 3 days & 2 nights, when I picked him up I was told they had been giving him 5u of ProZinc 2x a day. That night before I gave Buddy his shot, for some reason I wanted to test him and that is not something I had been doing. When I tried to test him he fought and finally got away from me. My 95 yr old Mother lives with me and she told me to leave him alone. He was hiding under the furniture, doing everything he could to get away from me. I pulled all the furniture out and closed every door I could. I think he just finally gave up. The 1st test showed 41, I thought something is wrong with this meter. I called the number on the Reli-On meter box and we went through some testing , they said everything was working fine and that was the reading. I could not believe my ears. The next test I ran came back at 35. Buddy received no insulin that night, if I had gave him 5U of insulin that night he probably would not be here now. I don't know why I felt that night I had to test, but I am so glad I did and have been testing ever since. We no longer use that vet.

36. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

No, I will just ask to not see her anymore. don't like to feel like I have to be on the defensive with any kind of doctor, including my vet.

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  37. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Wow. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I know how stressful it is to have to deal with this at all, much less with a situation like that.

38. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

My DH, he ended up poking the cat's ears 9-10 times, went through 4 strips and still no reading. That was his first two attempts and I love him for it. Why? He was in a major accident and his dominant hand doesn't work properly. He keeps trying as his hand improves and eventually he will get it. In the meantime, DS and I have become pros. We are lucky that Jones is very good to handle.

I just worry his civvie sister will get it. She is touchy about being handled but also her ears tips were frozen off before we got her. Not sure where I would poke to get blood. And there is no way you get to touch her feet!

39. Sieden

Sieden Member

It will take some time for you and for your kitty to become comfortable with what is happening. As you become more skilled, you will get more confident and your kitty will learn to relax and trust that you know what you're doing. Well, at least that was the case with my kitty but I was probably lucky. I like to pick Peanut up and put him up on top of the dresser which has a towel on it for him to lay on. I already have everything laid out and then I just take a few minutes to hug him and while I've got my arms wrapped around him, I'm rubbing one hand under one ear and the other hand along the outer edge of the right ear. I'm getting it pink, and warm. Once he's purring it's okay to go ahead and do my thing which takes 15 seconds, I tell him what a good boy he's been and then he's off and chasing the laser light like nothing ever happened. Practice young grass hopper, you'll get there. But I certainly remember those times of frustration where I couldn't get a single drop and I had already poked like 8 times and I was down to absolute tears. Later I learned that I had a habit of putting the needle to close to the edge and I wasn't actually poking him at all so if you feel this way try moving the lancette closer in toward the ear and see if that helps, also toward the tip of the ear has been a better location for me too. Hope this has helped.

40. SantaCruzSPCA

SantaCruzSPCA Member

Am I the only one who uses the feet for testing? I use a little push-button lancet and it's so fast and makes testing take a minute at most. Rusty barely realizes I'm there. With his ears it felt like much more of an ordeal. Maybe he's a rare kitty who doesn't mind his feet being touched? He actually LOVES it when you rub between his pads. Are cats typically more feet sensitive? Is that why most use the ears?

41. Yong & Maury GA

I chose ears because feet are in a litter box. Maury used to love rubbing between his paw pads, I called it "tickling his feets" and his toes would stretch out but the neuropathy has made it where he does not feel it as much :(. I'm hoping that will get better, at least to get him walking on his toes again.

42. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I'm a member of Alley Cat Allies. When they do TNR (trap, neuter, release), they cut off the tip of the cat's ear and return him to his colony. I figure if the ear is not so sensitive, then I don't have to feel bad about testing.

43. cashy

cashy Member

We switched to the ultra thin lancets. .9mm dia. The ones we were using before were about 2mm. seems to affect the comfort yet still give plenty of blood.

Our technique is roughly like this: Shine a penlight on the underside of the ear skin, then once you find a good vessel shine the same light almost tangent to the surface of the top of the ear and see if you can see the vein. Poke the vein at about a 30-45° angle. The vessel runs on the top side of the ear so that is the side you want to approach.

If you struggle very much the blood glucose result won't be very accurate. Their liver is probably releasing glucagon which is raising the blood sugar. Part of the fight or flight response. At least as far as I know.

We both have had experience getting samples for blood glucose for well over 30 years on humans. Doing it on a cat for the past several months is a special type of challenge.

44. Sieden

Sieden Member

I made a video on how to do it, it's taking forever to load to youtube but I'll post it once it's finished.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  45. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Thank you. Your cat is so calm thru the whole thing. Envy..... I just tried my cat again and once again it didn't work. I just haven't gotten it down exactly where to poke and I think I am trying so hard not to upset him, it upsets him. If that makes sense. I don't poke the poker In far enough, then end up doing it multiple times. I try to sit him on my lap because it is easier for me in that position, but he is not particularly a lap cat, so that's kinda unnatural too. Just thought of something - I am a lefty, I wonder if that could have anything to do with why it is so awkward. Grasping at straws here I guess. One thing I do know is that his levels are not controlled at this point. The few times I have gotten a reading they were in the 300's. So I guess the blessing in that is that at this point I don't think I have to worry too much about hypo if I don't get a reading. Once I talk to the vet and decide what's the next step, then I will definitely need to rely on the testing.

46. Yong & Maury GA

You want to aim for the sweet spot which is the area between the vein and the outer edge of the ear. Try not to hit the actual vein because that can hurt them a little more and they might do more than a tiny meow.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

47. cashy

cashy Member

Rather than on your lap put him on a counter top. I wrap my arm around him with my non dominant hand and stick his ear with the left. Try sticking yourself to get an idea of the amount of discomfort. It isn't much at all. We found that our cat started anticipating the poke and complained before it even started.

The biggest thing that in my mind that has helped is to change the cat's food. When diagnosed he was on normal dry food then put him on Science diet M/D measuring out each dose. More recently we have made good progress by giving him a bowl of Young Again Zero Mature. For the first 3 months we were seeing sugars in the 500+. then 400s max. Past two weeks much less. Read my summary since my last computer crash.

48. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I really like how you formatted your spreadsheet, but is it wise to change the dosage so frequently?

49. cashy

cashy Member

Good question. The entire month of January he was taking 12 units/day and running about 280. For some reason he started to decline on insulin demand.

About March 1st we started him on YAZM and big changes started to occur, I was chasing his tail though reducing dosage to keep him level. Seeing a reading and adjusting.

On the 10th of March I decided that over the last couple of weeks he was using an average of about 6u/day. So I said that lets give him 6 units a day. Never needed that much insulin so worked down from there. I think the decline in BG is because of the new food. I don't want to give him insulin when blood sugar is under a hundred. This morning he was 144 with no insulin for over 24 hours. We are going to check him later today and perhaps will try him on .5BID. Giving him a total of 1 unit for the day.

We are sold on this food.

50. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

:bighug: OK. Deep breath. Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat 2 times.

So...... my cat and I haven't been doing this all that long (since last Aug/Sep), but we're old pros now, and you will be too, very soon :) The testing is actually easier than giving the insulin :)

I assume you're using the cotton ball. If not, go get a bag of them (the small sized cotton balls seem to work better for my cat). The cotton ball absolutely makes a huge difference in success (and you not getting stabbed).

I put all of the testing supplies and the bag of treats in a 5" x 8" plastic crate and keep it where the cat and dog can't get to it.

When testing, I put the crate on the bed and get everything I need out. When I first started, I'd get a few strips out. Now I can virtually always do it with one. I also remove the protective cap from the lancet because this takes two hands (I use the micro thin 33 gauge Relion). Make sure you put the little cap where the cat can't get to it and eat it. When you're first starting out, you might consider getting a couple lancets out in case you bend the pricker part (maybe not a problem with the thicker lancets, but it has happened to me when using the micro thin 33 gauge), but only "open" one lancet.

If the cat isn't there yet (rare--he like the Orijen Regional Red treats), I go get the cat and put him on the bed with me. The first few times you may need to close the door and wrap the cat in a couple of big bath towels or a blanket. Lean over using your side to keep the cat "package" in place and pet the cat until s/he's purring and relaxed (and you too). While still petting the cat, especially on the top of the head and the ear you'll use for testing, use your other hand to put the strip in the meter. Pick up the cotton ball and put it in the target ear and hold in place with the petting hand (at this point you'll only be able to pet the top of the cat's head with your thumb and other hand, but you'll have a clear view of the top outside of the target ear). Pick up the lancet with the other hand and stab the ear. If it doesn't bleed, rub the surface of the ear lightly and briskly and see if you can get it to bleed. If not, stab again. If you have not gotten any blood after about 30-45 seconds of trying, remove the strip from the meter, let it turn off, then reinsert so it resets/starts over (Relion Prime meter shuts off after a short period of time to conserve the battery; don't know about any of the others). Continue to try to get blood. After a few times of success, it'll be really easy/fast and you'll be able to put the strip in the meter before stabbing the cat and not run out of time trying to get blood before the meter shuts off. Lancing the cat's ear may be irritating, but it gets easier and better, and after awhile, no real reaction, except sometimes the cat shaking his/her head to remove the blood drop when it's bigger than usual. Less painful than the the way kittens bite/claw each other when playing... and far, far less painful than diabetes.

After I get the blood onto the strip, while the meter is doing the test, I use the cotton ball to apply gentle direct pressure to the little spot and pet the cat some more. By the time the meter displays the reading, the bleeding has stopped.

Then I tell the cat what the reading is, tell him what a good cat he is, and reward with treat(s) and more petting. 3-5 minutes for the whole thing, now.

Because we are responsible for our cat(s), this is no different than the discomfort we sometimes have to cause the children or elderly family members we are responsible for (diabetes testing and injections, home dialysis, cleaning a scrape or cut, removing a splinter, etc.).

You can do this. I'm scared to death of needles, and I learned how to do both the injections and testing (if I can do it, anyone can do it)... so you can too :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  51. HereKittyKittyKitty

Stress will cause a cat's blood glucose readings to rise dramatically. My cat is usually in the 70s, but the other day at the veterinarian, the vet's test was over 400 and my test was over 300 (I wanted to see how accurate my meter was). A couple days later and the cat's blood glucose readings are back in the 70s. If I have a bad day testing the cat, his blood glucose reading will be a little higher than usual. When you and your cat get good at this (very soon), the readings will become more stable/accurate... you can do this :cat:

52. HereKittyKittyKitty

Hope your cat's new food puts him into remission :) It sounds like it's possible/likely :)

Food makes a huge difference. When I took my cat off kibble and put him on the prescription food, the cat's blood glucose declined significantly, but was still way too high. When I switched to 9 Lives low-carb pates (the only canned food on the list I could manage financially), the cat went into remission :joyful:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  53. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Wow, I had no idea the stress could make the numbers go up that much.

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  54. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

I'm in this same boat right now. Today, I again, tried testing, and finally tried using the lancing device instead of free hand, and it worked! Well almost. I just put the device against his ear and hit the button, and got blood! Of course, the meter had already timed out and when I re-inserted the test stripe and collected the blood, I got an error message, so I tried to quickly get a new strip, but the bleeding had almost stopped by then, but I still tried to collect the blood, and then I saw a number (326) and thought I had it. Success!

Only after we left the bathroom and I fed him, I went too look at the meter to review the reading, I realized that 326 wasn't his BG number, it was the date! Maybe tomorrow!

55. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Totally get it. I did that as well where I took too long and the meter timed out before I got the blood and then got an error message. Once I forgot that the strip had to be in the meter BEFORE you collected the blood, so got blood that time, but got an error message because I put the strip in AFTER I collected it. Oh the trials and errors. its no wonder we are nervous. I know how I would feel if some giant person was trying to poke me in the ear every time I turned around. hang in there. at least we have these wonderful people on this message board to continue encouraging us. I would have given up a long time ago if not.

56. Yong & Maury GA

Here's a process that I still do because once in a while it takes a moment for me to get a good enough drop from Maury's ear.
    *Stay calm and breathe* Sing a song, turn on tv, turn on music, etc. Something to distract your own nervousness because kitty will sense it ;)

1) Everything you need within close reach.
    2) Partially insert the test strip, so not to turn the meter on.
    3) Poke the ear.
    4) When you see the blood drop forming (sometimes fast, sometimes you have to work it a little), push the test strip all the way in to turn on meter.
    5) Collect sample on test strip.
    6) Hold pressure on the ear while waiting for the result. (This can help minimize bruising too :))
    7) Give reward :cat:

To help get an actual blood drop is where a thin layer of Neosporin before poking helps :)

Hope this might help you guys out!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  57. Sieden

Sieden Member

Peanut wasn't always this calm I don't suppose, but that was a long time ago so maybe he was. I seem to remember my very first time. I actually started out by going to him, wherever he was at. I'm starting to remember this now. I never wanted to disturb him and I thought that it would just be easier if I grabbed everything in my hands and brought it to him. I think it was a full year or two before I set up a "cat testing" area. Peanut is a very special cat though, he lets me hold him like a baby, hold him on my lap like a child, he'll sit on my lap and watch youtube with me but sitting facing forward like a human (he's so strange). He even sleeps with me, facing me with his head on the pillow lol. Sorry that I got sidetracked there but Peanut is just... special.

With that being said, you might want to try my approach and find your kitty when he's comfy so that he doesn't feel "bothered" lol. Now you mentioned that you're a lefty and I 100% think that makes a sh!t ton of difference. Poor Peanut has half the hair on his right ear that he does on his left. I'm even ambidextrous with most things but not with this. I can take a reading sometimes on the left ear but he has to be just right and sitting somewhere else. I normally use my right hand on his right ear on the right outside edge. You need to use your left hand on his left ear on the outside left edge. Another thing that helped me was to take my trusty Mach 3 and shave that entire outside edge of his ear GENTLY. It's like magic trust me. You're also not supposed to aim for the vein but the area between the vein and the outer edge of the ear.

You said that you don't poke the poker in far enough and end up sticking him a bunch of times, why? Are you using a lancing device that you push the button on and it shoots the lancet forward into the ear? If you're not using one of these then you really should try it. If you don't have one then I suggest that you look for one with a CLEAR top on it so that you can see the lancet tip as I showed in the video.

Here is a link to a Freestyle page that has the lancing device that I use... on the page you'll see the Freestyle II which is black, I don't use that one but then you'll see the blue one like you see in the video, it's just called the Freestyle Lancing Device. I wouldn't go through this but it turns out that it's really hard to find one with a stupid clear cap. The page says...

FreeStyle Lancing Device
    The FreeStyle Lancing Device, designed for comfortable daily testing, includes 4 custom depth settings to match each user's needs.

For use with FreeStyle Lancets (sold separately)

Also includes an Alternate Site Testing Cap

Well this "Alternate Site Testing Cap" is the clear cap that I'm talking about which makes it easier to see where the needle tip is aiming. I think it's worth it. I think currently the site it down or whatever but you should be able to buy the device right from the site once it's back up. It is an Abbott site and I mean trusted, not some crap site.

https://www.myfreestyle.com/ancillaries

WHOOOOOOOOOO Sorry That Was So Long!

58. Yong & Maury GA

I must be weird, no wait, I know I am weird! :D I poke his left ear with my right hand and right ear with left hand. Do whatever is more comfortable / controlling for you though!

For some of Maury's mid-cycle tests, I go to him on his condo. Plus, when he's been napping or relaxing, his ears are naturally nice and warm :p

59. Sieden

Sieden Member

I'm sticking to my right hand, right ear lol. I think it's because I can lean across his body with my right arm and it makes him feel like he's getting hugged. I do agree with the kitty condo, I have done this so many times and if you catch them mid nap it seems like they are more willing and those ears are nice and warm.

60. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

well you will be happy to hear that I have successfully gotten two readings today. Rex has not been feeling well today, so that might be the reason, but I guess I gives me a bit more confidence and maybe him a bit more used to it and that if he cooperates it goes really quickly. the first time was a piece of cake, it was almost like he knew I NEEDED to test him before I could give him his shot because he did not eat and barely drank all night and had a bit of diarrhea and vomiting. the second time midday after he had eaten a bit and drank some more, and seemed to be feeling better, it was still easier than the other times, but he fought me a little bit more than in than AM. I want to try again in an hour or so and try to get four total for the day so I can really get some info. to pass along to the vet and possibly get her to agree to up his dose just a little to see if we can get out of the 300 range.

61. Sieden

Sieden Member

I'm glad to hear that you got some readings today and that it was easier for you. I know that there have been a few times that Peanut has tried to get up while I'm testing and I had to learn how to wrap my arm around his butt while I was testing so that he couldn't back up. I've also had to kind of tell him "hey kid, this is happening whether you like it or not" and it seems like after those times, he would be easier for me for awhile. I think our cat kids are smarter than we think lol. Anyway, it should get easier and easier as times goes by.

62. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

well I got cocky I guess and took advantage of the situation when Rex was not feeling his best yesterday (by the way he is MUCH better today). this AM when I tried the testing I actually got hissed at and clawed. so, question - I went ahead and gave him his shot this AM (his numbers have never been below 300), so do I make another stab (no pun intended) at getting a test now considering he just got his shot and ate and is obviously completely stressed about it right now (won't even come back in the room with me - sitting outside the door), or do I wait until mid cycle and try again then.

managed to get four tests yesterday, the last one freaked me out - it was 440. that is the highest I have EVER gotten so far. yesterday was an extremely stressful day for all of us, and we got an unexpected visitor last night who Rex does not really know, so he spent part of last night hiding, plus I just don't think he was still feeling all that great, and the last test I did I did kind of have to struggle with him, and he had just eaten about 30 -60 minutes prior (I was not going to stop him from eating after the day he/we had), so my guess is the number was a result of all those factors (or I am just trying to rationalize it in my head for my sanity's sake).

do you think that the four readings I got yesterday is enough info to call the vet and see about increasing his Lantus dose? or should I attempt to get a few days worth since he was not his normal self yesterday and/or just for more info? I am nervous about calling there because the situation there has been a bit odd - the vet we normally see has gone down to part time so if she is not there they always seem to stick me with one other vet (who I have actually requested NOT to talk to but I think since she has seen us before they just always revert to her when vet #1 is not there) and vet #2 does NOT believe in nor encourage home testing at all. when I have talked to her about it she actually said she would not even consider those numbers in any way when making her decision on dosing, etc. she relies strictly on the fructosamine test. so I am afraid if I call there vet #1 will be gone and vet #2 will not listen, so that leaves me where??? so the other question I have is - actually 2 - would it be advisable to increase his dose on my own without their permission - just by .25 or .5 units? and can I get syringes without a prescription?? currently we use the lantus pen.

sorry, didn't mean for this to get so long. just want to get this figured out so we can incorporate this into our daily existence and move on. quite stressed the past few days over here. but very thankful Rex is feeling better today (didn't even mind getting woke up in the middle of the night for food...), and also very thankful for all the help and support from this message board. :)

63. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble getting your tests in. Do the vet office have just the 2 vets? If not, ask to speak with #3. Since my other cat Tanner was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and the vet on call (not my regular vet) put him on too high of a dose, I have gone my own way with the hyperthyroidism group (similar to this). My regular vet is aware that I do my own research and he has even told me he doesn't know much about hyperthyroidism so he gave me the reins, so to speak. He respected my decision to have Tanner do the radio-iodine therapy, which unfortunately led to hypothyroidism, but he always does what I request when I call for prescriptions. He doesn't tell me where to go get the pills or how much to give.

As soon as Rex was diagnosed, I said I would like to speak with other pet owners who have gone through this so he knows what I'm doing now. I also told him I would do home testing. He prescribed 3 units BID, but I have a feeling he knows I won't do that. :rolleyes: I plan to call the vet's office and notify them that I will just do my own glucose curves at home.

I guess to make a long story short, just be blunt and tell your vet what you want to do .. in a respectful way, of course. If you don't like what you hear, you can just take advice you get here as there are so many cats on here, way more than a vet would see in years, then go back and say, Oh, and I decided to do this and have it put in the file. ;)

64. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

I was tense at first, but being diabetic myself I felt a bit easier. Then knowing where to test on their ears, made it easier. Mostly Leela wiggled a bit.
    She is very sweet and amenable. Only issue is the strips being awkward and falling out, then her flicking her ear. Blood drips..

Giving her attention and those thirsk treats helps. My Leela likes cheese to right now. I test min 3 time a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.