Another Vancouver BC question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fast Eddie, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Member

Has anyone in the city been able to purchase syringes from a pharmacy with 1/2 u markings? I purchased insulin and syringes from a community pharmacy and when I have asked for syringes with 1/2 u markings they look at me as though I have 2 heads.

Still getting up the courage to tell my vet that I'm doing my own thing with Eddie's insulin. Not sure if I will switch vets or fess up.

Cordelia

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

At Shopper's Drug Mart I usually got the BD syringes with 1/2 unit markings.... go to one and ask the pharmacy to look up the ones they carry. They may not be the easiest to find, so when I find some, I would buy a few boxes to have so that I don't run out.
    Not sure about London Drugs or some of the other places around you; I was in Toronto before but just moved to Wpg and have not yet looked around to see what's being sold.

The pharmacy can look up what they carry and when they are getting more in stock if they are just sold out.

I don't see why it's any business of your vet's if you are going your own way. I would bet that within a month, you will know more about feline diabetes and how to treat it than your vet.

Do your own testing and use the insulin you want. It's great being Canadian as we don't need any rx to get our insulins or supplies.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Member

So far I have asked at one London drugs location and 2 Safeway locations, a compounding pharmacy, as well as the outpatient pharmacy at BC Children's hospital. I feel like I am looking for unicorns. I will keep asking around and might speak to someone in the peds diabetes clinic.

Oh and while I am at it, where has been the best place, price wise, to buy glucose monitor strips? Any chance the manufacturer offers coupons?

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Brian

Brian Member

I can't help with Vancouver specifically, but in Ontario the Shoppers Drug Marts near me carry the Monoject 3/10cc u100 syringes which have the 1/2 unit markings on them. Shoppers is the only place I've been able to find them.

If you or a friend have a Costco membership, they were the cheapest place for testing strips locally I could find for my meter. Cheaper deals on ebay if you are able to find a reliable seller. Costco is also the cheapest place I've found for Lantus, $63 for the 10ml vial or $95 for the box of pens (price might be different in BC).

Hopefully your vet will be willing to work with you.

Edit-stayed up past my bedtime and transposed the "3" and the "10" making for a huge, mythical syringe.

5. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Member

Found Some!

London Drugs on East Hastings. Bought some and not even a blink about selling them to me without a prescription.

Thanks for recommending to keep trying different stores. They did not have them at LD on Victoria Drive.

7. LILandKIT

LILandKIT Member

Heya!

Haven't had a change to say hi yet...welcome!

Not sure if you have Loblaws Superstore close by (I'm in Mississauga)...but that's where I found mine for $36 for 100 as well (U-100). I actually didn't know that we could get syringes (and insulin too!) without a prescription until about last week when I was asking around about where to go. I thought that if I randomly went they would look at me funny. Helps to know that you dont need the vet to sign off on anything (or call) when you need something!

8. Myriam and Mookie

Myriam and Mookie New Member

I live in South Surrey, BC. I've found the pharmacist at our local Pharmasave to be very helpful. He entered Mookie into the computer as a feline family member so that he'd qualify for a free glucose meter when I bought a box of test strips. I also get the BC Ultra-Fine II 3/10 cc 31 gauge - they're great - so easy to inject with. The pharmacist also gives me the sharps disposal containers for the used syringes and I bring them back there for disposal, and I've gotten coupons on the strips from him. I recommend finding a sympathetic pharmacist and becoming a regular!

As for vets, ours originally didn't seem too thrilled about my decisions. However, when we brought Mookie in for a check up in December he was stunned at how good Mookie's numbers are on so little insulin and just told us to keep doing what we're doing. Mookie's been on raw food for the last year, since he was diagnosed and I found this site. He's still on Caninsulin - it's what the vet started us on and it's working. I've got to update the spreadsheet - I keep track in a little booklet that came with the meter, but we're down to 1 unit twice a day with really good numbers. The vet thinks that Mookie must be making some insulin himself and that what we give him is just reminding his pancreas to do it itself. We're (always) working on getting his weight down a bit - the vet thinks that could be enough to get his pancreas to take over again.

Best of luck,

Myriam

9. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

I'm in Langley and have found Costco has the 1/2 unit marked syringes by BD. They also have by far the best prices on strips and insulin. I use Levemir, but I'd guess that the prices are comparably lower for other insulin.

10. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

Im in Vancouer also. I use True Track. I order them online from well.ca 100strips costs $57, tax and shipping included. Not bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.