Another worried post of Artemis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia Rae, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Hello a little info on my lil girl come this June she will be 20 years old. Other than the last time she scared she poop outa me she has been very healthy and all 5 of her P's in place Now she is off her food, being very clingy and has very nasty smelling salivation. Can anyone please give me some advise?? Also update on Magellan he is doing very well and has continued with his healthy weight loss and has all his P's in place.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you had her teeth checked? Pain from teeth could have her off her food as well as cause the smelly salivation

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Julia Rae

Yes I have there is some minor indications of tarter but her gums look good and the tarter is mostly on the front teeth. Her face is not swollen or malformed either.

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

She might have a UTI or some other type of infection.

5. Julia Rae

I plan on taking her into the vet the first of the month as that is when I get payed.. I have been able to convince her to eat about 1 oz of chicken baby food.. that is if I spoon feed her other wise she has no interest in eating.

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

It sounds like she may need to see the vet sooner than Nov 1st, especially if she isn't eating. Will your vet make a payment arrangement for you to pay on the first if he sees her now? Or maybe take a post-dated check or something? (I know you're not supposed to do that, but who's telling?)

7. Julia Rae

I would love to but he wont see her untill I pay up front...and I asked once again and his attitude was she is an old cat why bother!

8. Alexi

Alexi Member

I think that is an appalling attitude from your vet, no animal should have to suffer because of the finances of the owner, I hope you are ringing round other vets in the area as if my vet said that to me I would take them no more business and report them. Please check out the links in this post http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/financial-help-links.131190/ Is care credit an option for you? A cat not eating is an emergency situation and the attitude should be to treat the animal then sort out the payments. In the UK a vet risks their license if they don't put the needs of the animal first.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  9. Julia Rae

Yes I have been looking mostly for Magellan as this is the same vet who nearly killed Magellan with over dosing him on his insulin and ordering me not to rest. But on the good side I have found some food that Artemis will eat. It is steamed chicken thighs or scrambled egg cooked in a bit of butter. She still likes to be spoon feed and I can convince her to eat a bit more than if she was left to her own. Care credit is not really an option for me as I have very low income and currently fighting a stolen identity /fraud. I will look into the links you have sent and yes his attitude disgusts me but sadly it seems to be too common especially in regards to low income humans.

10. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am glad you have found something she will eat, just keep feeding her and seeing that she gets enough! Your vet's attitude toward the well-being of one of his patients is appalling. I wonder how he would feel if he had a parent who needed medical help and was told they were old, so why bother! I hope you can find a new vet and that they will see her pronto. Prayers and healing vines for Artemis, and (((hugs))) for you, I know you must be very worried about your girl!

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Julia Rae likes this.
  11. Julia Rae

Hugs thanks zoo much, I hope that this will clear up, but some how I doubt it. It is hard to believe that we have been together for almost 20 years. I know in my hart that the love and healing vines get our fur children through the rough stuff. So thanks again and I will keep you all abreast to how she is doing.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for you and Artemis.

Julia Rae likes this.
  13. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

14. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Julia,

I'm saddened to hear all that you and Artemis are going through and I'm thoroughly disgusted at your vet's attitude. I can completely relate to how shoddily some in the veterinary profession behave towards animals whose caregivers are on low incomes (been there).

I don't know whether this might help you but I've found that, in addition to the hand feeding, warming the food and/or sprinkling some crumbled-up freeze-dried protein treats can encourage better eating.

Sending healing vibes to Artemis and many :bighug::bighug::bighug: to you.

Mogs

Squalliesmom and Julia Rae like this.
  15. Julia Rae

Many hugs back Mogs, I believe I found the cause of her tummy up set, or at least that is what is looking like so far. Some how some way she got her paws on something that she should not have. ( No clue as to what it was) and is did a serious number on her stomach and g.i. as her poops have been on the loose side and very, very stinky. So I plan on continuing to spoon feed as necessary as well as cook for her. Her appetite is improving slightly but if I let her eat too much she is in distress again and it is back to step one. This has only happened 1 thank goodness. I will try the idea of the treats and on the good side she is not diabetic so I can pretty much give her what ever she is willing to eat.

Julia
    Devoted slave to Artemis

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.