Answered Question: Very Slightly Out of Date Canned Food. Is it Safe?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Lúnasa's food order didn't arrive from Zooplus today. I've run out of the food that has been helping her GI issues - bar one can.

The can I have left is 2 weeks past its 'Best Before' date. I've opened it and it looks and smells perfect. There are no visible defects on the can itself. As a guide, if it were a tin of corned beef for humans I would consider it perfectly safe to eat.

Any idea whether it would be safe to give the Noodle some food from this tin? (She's only getting 1 teaspoon per meal mixed in with home-cooked chicken and broth at the moment). After the months of malabsorption and diarrhoea problems I'm desperate to keep her as stable as possible and the plain chicken made her very runny so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Mogs

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to give her, Mogs. Many things are still good past the "best before" date. Let your eyes and nose be the guide,

3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

I agree with Kris, Mogs...if it passes the look and smell test I'd say it's good:bighug::)

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

I always do, Kris. I'm from the days when the senses were the only 'best before' advice you got. And so were all my ancestors. (They seemed to do OK. ;) )

I do wonder at times about how much perfectly edible food gets wasted by people who never learned how to determine the freshness of their food using the senses that evolutionary forces were kind enough to bestow upon them. How many people slavishly sling good food away based on the dates suppliers print on packaging and which most likely include a rather generous margin of error in an effort to avoid potential lawsuits? And with so many people not able to afford enough to eat ... :(

I hate waste.

Mogs

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Thanks for the reassurance, Beth. :bighug:

6. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:...get to help u, for a change:)....feels good to do so :bighug::bighug::)

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Critter Mom

And I'm very appreciative, Beth! Thank you. :)

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.