Antibiotic [zidaclin] interference

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MamaMug, Mar 24, 2019.

1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

We started prozinc this weekend, wanted to wait until we could stay home to monitor him. Vet also prescribed 2ml zidaclin for 10 days as our sugarcat has a pretty wicked tooth/gum infection. The vet warned us that the antibiotic would likely make the insulin less effective until the 10 days are up.

The numbers I got yesterday, while not overly concerning as far as BG dip, confused me as there was little variation between his AMPS and where a nadir would typically be. I realize that we don't have much data yet as we just started testing and dosing, but I'm wondering if this might have a bit to do with the antibiotic. Anyone have some more first hand anecdote to antibiotic and prozinc paired?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Any sort of infection can keep BG levels elevated so those numbers aren't surprising. They aren't that high either. It takes a while for a "normal" insulin response to show after starting insulin as well. Give it time. Congrats on getting that at home testing under way! :)

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

As Kris said, it's really not uncommon for an infection to cause BG to be higher. When they start to feel better, usually it starts to come down. And yellows are pretty good overall...even with an infection on board! Congrats on the home testing!