Antibiotics and diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Maresydotes, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maresydotes

Maresydotes Member

Hi again,
    Can anyone tell me if giving antibiotics affects the diabetes? My vet wants to start Missy on Clavamox for her acne. She was on it when initially diagnosed because she had a UTI at that time, so not sure how it affected the diabetes. I wanted to touch base with you all before I start giving her the Clavamox, to see if I should expect to see changes in BG readings or any other kind of effects on her diabetes.
    Thanks!

2. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi!

If there is an underlying infection, as the antibiotics work, blood sugar numbers may decrease. An infection, can cause a rise in blood sugars......but otherwise, I don't believe antibiotics have any affect on diabetes. Zoe has been on Clavamox for different things and once the infection was cleared up, it did not seem to change her blood sugars at all......however ECID (every cat is different) :mrgreen: Get a few extra tests in and see how it affects or doesn't affect Missy's blood sugar.

When Zoe is on Clavamox, our vet has us give her Fortiflora (a probiotic) to replenish the normal flora (bacteria) in her tummy....helps prevent diarrhea. The fortiflora is given (mixed into or sprinkled on top of food) at a different time than the Clavamox.

Good luck!

3. Maresydotes

Maresydotes Member

Thanks, Sherry!
    I am sort of paranoid, now, since she relapsed and can't figure out why. My vet is thinking that it is possible it is the acne, but she had it when she was originally diagnosed, in March and all through her remission, so I am not sure......but still I would like to clear it up, once and for all! I just didn't want to mess up her numbers. I have some of the Forti Flora and that is a really good idea. I know my own doctor tells me to eat yoghurt or take probiotics when I am on an antibiotic, so that make perfect sense!
    I appreciate the input. Thanks a lot.

4. Jessica & Boo Radley

Jessica & Boo Radley Member

Clavamox is perfectly safe to use with diabetics and will not affect blood glucose levels directly (as Sherry mentioned, if there was an infection, treating the infection would lower).

The only caution with Clavamox is the high incidence of GI upset, so if you could give your kitty a probiotic while taking, you could wipe out that irritation.

Good luck!

5. Maresydotes

Maresydotes Member

Can cats use the same probiotics humans use? Or is Forti Flora the only option? Thanks. She IS having issues with her tummy.

6. Jessica & Boo Radley

Jessica & Boo Radley Member

You can certainly use human probiotics...I just don't know the dose. For the quick fix..you may just want to go with one the FortiFlora - it's supposed to be excellent and will get you through the antibiotic. You should give it just before or with a meal. Continue at least 1 week after antibiotics are finished to help replenish the natural flora of the digestive tract.

If you plan on continuing (many vets recommend using 3-4 times per week to aid in digestion!).....You could look for a human probiotic that is dairy free and has no extraneous ingredients - for example Renew LIfe or Vitamin Shoppe Ultimate 10. A dose would be a great question for your vet once you have the product (each product is different and based on active cell counts)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.