Antibiotics for diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bobbie And Bubba, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Bubba is going into day 2 of diarrhea. Called the vet yesterday evening and he said if it continues he will put him on something that started with a "M" can't remember the name, metha =something.....I ask what it was and he said an antibiotic. That's seems weird as don't a lot of antibiotics cause diarrhea? What is the drug of choice for continued diarrhea? Any thoughts?

2. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

It's probably metronidazole (aka Flagyl). This is very commonly prescribed for diarrhea because they think that in addition to its antibiotic effects, it also has some anti-inflammatory effects in the gut. Most people who use it find that it firms up the poo relatively quickly. A lot of people on here have used it... For example, I think @Squalliesmom has experience using it, and I used it for Speckles when nothing else was working to control his diarrhea while he had pancreatitis (and cancer). It worked for him despite all the underlying health issues he had.

granadilla and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Thank you! I just called the vet and that is exactly what it is. He went down to 50 on me last night @ +5 and I steer with medium carb food, so this am the diarrhea has continued and I am thinking it could be because of a diet change today. Thinking I will monitor for dehydration today and see how he is tomorrow and if it continues, I will get him on the metronidazole. Thanks for you reply :bighug:

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  4. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Good luck! I hope it helps! Sending healing vibes!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  5. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Hiya, Bobbie! Am sending "firm stool vibes" to Mr. Poopy-Pants today ...:bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Actually, the last episode this AM had a slight amount of shape to it...

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi Bobbie, sounds like you had a long night again last night! :bighug:

I use Metronidazole on Candy when she has flare-ups of her IBD, it works pretty well. Just in case your vet doesn't tell you, if he gives you the liquid, it tastes yucky and Bubba will probably not like to take it; it's supposed to be "chicken flavored" but everyone at my vet's office says it's nasty tasting. Candy hates it and will run and hide when she sees the bottle so we have to sneak up on her to administer it, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.