? Antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren & Comet, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren & Comet

Lauren & Comet Member

Tonight as I was headed to bed, I noticed a couple of small urine spots on my carpet and indeed found a couple in the litter box. She hasn't been stressed lately and hasn't had a UTI in months. I have some leftover antibiotics and want to start her on them with breakfast in the morning. She hasn't had a UTI since diagnosis. Should I expect any change in BG while she is on them? Thanks!!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Do you have enough antibiotic for a full course of treatment? If not, don't do it.
    You'll kill off weaker bacteria and leave resistant ones alive to grow and be harder to treat.

Squalliesmom and Bama like this.
  3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

BJM is totally correct. Without a full treatment of antibiotics you could end upwith "super bacteria" which would be much harder to treat and may not respond as well or as quickly to the same antibiotic. The best approach is to go to the vet and have a culture done on a urine sample to get the correct antibiotics and the correct number of treatment days.

My sweet Tuxie had a UTI and was given a 7 day treatment. He responded well and then 3 days after the treatment period ended up with the UTI coming back. This meant another trip to the vet, a higher dose of the antibiotics and a 14 day treatment period before it cleared properly.

BJM and Squalliesmom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.