Anxious cat mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenny and Kitkat, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny and Kitkat

Jenny and Kitkat New Member

Hi all

My 14 (+/-) year old ginger girl was diagnosed with diabetes just over 2 weeks ago. She was also diagnosed as a 'sick' diabetic and has spent a lot of time at the vet. She initially had some kind of infection which seems to have cleared after 2 doses of antibiotics and 4 sessions with an energy healer.

I have just invested in a glucometer as the vet advised me to check her blood sugar before her shots - luckily - because her sugar was really low tonight.

She is eating so little, and is just skin and bone. ANY suggestions of tempting food are welcome - she has her regular pellets available, plus human tuna, cat tuna, really expensive tiny cans of food, home-made chicken stock, fresh spring water and the skanky water that she favours - a pot plant container with old sand at the bottom..

All input most welcome. I don't believe that she's ready to give up, but I'm not sure how more to help her.

I will speak to the vet again tomorrow about her eating. They were giving her anti-nausea shots and appetite stimulants.

Looking forward to your help.

PS: I live in Africa, so local remedies may not be available!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your kitty! Please repost on the main health forum and add the following info:
    • name if insulin you have and what dose
    • type of glucose meter you're using.
    It might be harder for us to recommend brands of food, etc. because of where you live. Are you in a large urban area?

Jenny and Kitkat likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a cute girl! :)

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny, and welcome.

C'mon over and post your concerns in the Health Forum where more eyes will see them. When you do, if you could also tell us what insulin you are using and the dose, other meds, and whatever blood glucose numbers you have, it would be a great help. It is fantastic that you are home testing. We'll help you set up a spreadsheet so that you can keep track of everything and see patterns at a glance.

Jenny and Kitkat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.