Any advice for a cat not using the litterbox?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rardito, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rardito

Rardito Member

Mitsy has been peeing on the floor since the first week of June. I was assuming she was doing it because of the undiagnosed diabetes, but she's been on insulin since 7/16 and is still doing it (she had a period of 3 days when she stopped but is back at it again). She's also had a round of Veraflox and then was given Clavamox on 7/16 and was told to use the whole bottle. She's still on that one. Does anyone else's diabetic kitty do this? (She is still pooing in the litterbox.)

ETA: I've bought new litterboxes (senior ones with a low front), tried dr elseys cat attract litter, tried Feliway, tried antidepressants, all with no results

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add more information
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What did you clean the old messes with? You have to completely remove all orders.

3. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Truffles was doing this we had to take up bath mats, rugs and dog bed! Once his bg levels were under control he stopped. It wasn’t instant so give it time

Rardito likes this.
  4. Rardito

Rardito Member

She is only peeing on laminate and linoleum floors. No carpet or soft surfaces. So unfortunately I don't have much of an option for cleaning the laminate. I was just using laminate floor cleaner and cleaner with bleach on the linoleum. I did recently buy one with enzymes for hardwood floors and was going to try it this weekend even though I can't really let it sit on the laminate. But I guess the pee is already sitting on it so might as well try!

She did this two years ago for about two months and randomly stopped one day so I was hoping that would happen again. I am hoping once her insulin dose is correct she will get back in the box. Luckily my other cat continues to use the box, haha.

Thanks for the advice!

5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I used Rocco and Roxie and Angry Orange. I have tried so many and they seem to be the best. I’m also a huge fan of Odoban but be careful with some of their products. I use their really strong stuff to wash out my litter trays and do the floor if I shut the cats out for a few minutes to let it dry.

Rardito likes this.
  6. Rardito

Rardito Member

Thank you, I'll have to look into those!

7. JanetNJ

My favorite cleaners are both found on Amazon. Unscented Anti Icky Poo and Angry Orange

8. Rardito

Rardito Member

I just got home from work and she had peed 3 times on the floor as well as drug her water dish across the kitchen. She always seems to get worse with the peeing/water when I lower her insulin dose. Has anyone else experienced that?

9. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Did she have a UTI back in June? We've had problems before where litterbox avoidance starts with a UTI, but then seems to just morph into a behavioral problem even after the infection is gone. Did all the same things you've done, and it eventually seems to resolve.

What antidepressant(s) did you use? Prozac? That seems to be most common, but if that's what you got, you might also want to try amitryptiline. It did wonders for my scaredy cat Homer. He would stress himself out, start peeing on everything. So, we would restart amitryptiline for just a short while and it would break the pee-cycle and calm him down and I could stop the medication until whenever he started again (I hate to ever give medication, but at least for him I didn't have to give it continuously).

Best of luck to you and little Mitsy, I know how frustrating it is.
    Sandi.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  10. Rardito

Rardito Member

Back in June, they couldn't get a urine sample so they gave her amitriptyline (which is funny because I am on amitriptyline). She didn't improve with it. They then gave her Veraflox at the beginning of July "just in case" and she finished that with no results. She is currently on Clavamox because he said he saw some bacteria when she got diagnosed with diabetes, so she's been on that since 7/16 because he said to use the whole bottle. But she's still using the floor unless I see her walking towards the litterbox and grab her and put her in it. She'll pee in it if I put her in there but of course I'm not here most of the day.

11. JanetNJ

Will she got on a puppy training pad?

Rardito likes this.
  12. Rardito

Rardito Member

Sometimes. Usually she goes half on and half off of them. Overnight she did it on the opposite side of the room, and this morning after her insulin she went on a pad. So it just varies.

13. JanetNJ

You may have to temporarily keep her in a large cage or small room when you can't watch her to retrain her. And definitely use an enzymatic cleaner to remove oder traces.

Rardito likes this.
  14. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Try a totally unscented/no additive litter in a new litterbox that has no odors. If you take kitty with you when you shop you can see if any of the boxes seem acceptable (don't repel kitty). Their sense of smell as a lot more sensitive than ours.

The plastics/recycled plastics in some litter boxes are problems. The chemicals added to litter can be a problem. Adding cat urine to either/both of these sources of chemicals/odors can cause chemicals/odors to be released.

I use Special Kitty... plain, unscented clay...

Try cleaning the floor and any washables with a baking soda and water solution. Do not use vinegar.

Try putting a freezer/refrigerator box of baking soda near the litter box.

If kitty persists, try mixing some baking soda into/onto the litter.

Did you change any cleaning/laundry products before this behavior started? Air fresheners, candles, etc.? Hand soaps/moisturizers? Hair products? Car products? Did the manufacturers change any formulas (they all seem to think we all want that nasty Axe/Gain fragrance in everything). I get sick from it and presume it's bad for my dog and cat, too. There have been some FDA-mandated changes in products recently, too. Anyone new in/visiting the house? Any changes in anything they use? Any routine changes? What about pesticides/weed killers/mosquito repellents? New furniture, carpet, etc.?

Maybe put an appliance tray (used for washers, hot water heaters, etc.; get at Lowes or Home Depot) under the litter box. They are are sweep or wipe clean (dry or wet) and will protect your floor near the litter box from accidents/on-purposes. I use Clorox Clean-up to sanitize. Afterwards, after drying, you could use a baking soda/water rinse if you want to clean off any bleach residue.

JeanW and Rardito like this.
  15. Rardito

Rardito Member

There really haven't been any changes - I had moved a couch but a couple weeks later after she started doing this I moved it back. I thought that may have been upsetting her. She did start the day after my boyfriend's ex-stepfather came over to work on his guitar, but she is very people friendly and has never reacted to company badly. He hasn't been here since that day back in June anyway. Other than that...two months before I had switched to Arm and Hammer Slide litter...but she was using it for two months with no problem. I even switched back to Tidy Cats that she has been using her whole life because I thought that may have been the problem, but she's been back on her regular litter for at least a month now.

That's about it. I didn't start the Feliway until about a month after she started doing this because it's supposed to help with litterbox issues (so far it hasn't). I'm really hoping that she doesn't have some other underlying condition we just don't know about. She also started moving the water dish and pawing at her water the same time she started peeing outside the litter box. The vet checked her eyes and didn't see anything wrong with them.

It's frustrating for sure that she pees on the laminate, but I'd rather know the cause so I can help her. That's the most important thing.

16. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My hunch is that it may be connected to your dosing. Given the dose changes and the numbers I'm seeing, I'm going to guess that she isn't feeling well, and may be having some hypoglycemia. That's just a guess given the data, but if it's true it would explain the peeing. Cats use that as a form of communication. It's one of the key ways that they tell us they don't feel well. I would recommend that you test before each shot, and whenever you can in in the middle of the cycle, and post for folks with some vetsulin experience to help you sort out the dosing.

Rardito likes this.
  17. JanetNJ

Which feliway? I find the diffusers work better than sprays or collars

18. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I found out recently that there are also two different diffuser formulations now. The "original" one that has been around forever, and "multi-cat". In this case, the original formula is what you would want.

19. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you @HereKittyKittyKitty. This is really helpful - I'm dealing with some of the same problems.:(

20. Rardito

Rardito Member

The diffuser

21. Rardito

Rardito Member

I tried both haha. At least the multi cat one made them tolerate each other more

22. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Tidy Cat added Glade to the litter I had been using for years. About 2-3 months after we started using the changed formula is when my cat started showing symptoms of diabetes and then he was diagnosed. It happened fast and I cannot help but believe the chemicals at least contributed to or precipitated his diabetes. It is well known chemicals can cause/contribute to/precipitate diabetes... Agent Orange is a famous example.

I don't know about any other litters, but there could be chemicals (or the same/similar chemical) in both litters that are causing problems for kitty. Many times different manufacturers or the same manufacturer of different products, change formulas about the same time (competition, costs, or "improvement").

I would definitely try a new litter box with a chemical/odor-free litter for awhile. I wouldn't even use the same litter box because the chemical(s)/odor from the litter can be absorbed by the plastic the litterbox is made of and then could contaminate the air or new litter in the litterbox, or come in direct contact with kitty when he/she touches the litterbox.

In the situation you describe, I would probably also scrub the whole area with baking soda/water and use freezer/refrigerator box(es) of baking soda to absorb residual odor in the immediate area.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Rardito likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.