Any advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Britt & Whiskey, Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Britt & Whiskey

Britt & Whiskey New Member

I’m new here. My baby whiskey is nine, diagnosed in July/August and put on vetsulin, started at 1 unit and now on 6 units, wet food only diet. His levels are still in the 500 range and lowest we ever been is high 200 range. We do curves at home every two to three weeks. Last couple weeks he has not felt well. His appetite is still ravenous and will eat constantly if allowed. Still drinking a ton of water. Past couple weeks he has started urinating and pooping on rugs all throughout the house which is completely out of character for him. His fur doesn’t look good, he acts like he can’t get comfortable, and seems out of sorts kind of confused or goofy acting. His poop has been thick diarrhea. We are feeling very deflated right now. Any recommendations would be appreciated. We don’t know what to do, but we don’t want him suffering in anyway. Thank you

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I think a vet visit ASAP is needed. Could be pancreatitis from some of the things you are describing.

Could you get a BG reading now? The 'confused or goofy acting' could be low BG so a check would be good.

In your Introduce Yourself post you said you had needed to start mixing 'meaty bits' in with the pate to get him to eat and that he had been refusing his food, turning away. Might me nausea or upset stomach.

With 6 units, I think it's time for your vet to test for Agromegaly and/or IAA (insulin resistant antibodies). Maybe time to try a different insulin also. Something to discuss with your vet.

In the meantime, if you have some plain pumpkin (no spices or sugar or any other ingredients) you could try 1 tablespoon of that. Plain pumpkin can both help to firm up the feces with diarrhea but can also help with constipation with the added fiber. Could take a day or 2 to see any results from the pumpkin.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

There's another possibility I can think of and that is Ketones or some stage of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis).

If you have a good sense of smell, try smelling your kitties breath. Ketones give off a fruity smell, like overripe fruit.

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

We started on vetsulin and it was awful --Drevon was SO depressed and honestly I could hardly watch him as he had changed so much ... we switched to pro zinc which was better but did not last long enough. Lantus worked well for a while but he has a strange nadir so we went with Lev and it is the best for us. Dre is still bouncy but he is happy and playful (at 20.5 years). I wish I had used Lev to start.
    vetsulin is really made for dogs they have a different metabolism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.