ANY ADVISE APPRECIATED!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenn & Sprats, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I am kind of a newbie, in that my cat is 15 and has been diabetic for 3 years. He was doing fairly well until last Tuesday. I got home and he was on his side, non-responsive, crying out. Rushed him to the vet. His glucose was non-registerable. 30 minutes later after dextrose it was 34. We left him there and the vet got him back under control. Brought him home Thursday, and Friday morning he was at it again. I had luckily read on here to give him Karo syrup, so I did through a syringe. He wasn't as bad as Tuesday. I gave him a syringe full every 15 minutes. When I was finally able to test him at home (Never done that before, no supplies, etc.) about 8 hours had passed and I finally got some and it was up to 580! So, back to the vet... he was dehydrated, and she said that was probably why I was having such a hard time. He stayed there until yesterday evening, Monday. Last night, he ate and I gave him 2 units of Novulin insulin. I tested before and it was 328. This morning, I tested and it was 26! Why is it so out of control all of a sudden?? No insulin this morning. He ate well and when I got home 9 hours later, this evening - I tested him and it is 408! Tonight I gave him only one dose and will check it before I go to bed. Hopefully he won't be crashed again in the morning! The second time we went to the vet, they did a whole blood work on him. I didn't know if he was going to have to be put down and she said if he had other problems, it would be an easy decision. He is old, but he is my baby!!!!! I have had him since he was born! Well, the blood work came back perfect - kidneys, everything was a ok! She said if it was her cat, she would try again and not put him down. So, that is what we did. I am out of my mind from all of this! Plus, we have about spent all we can - what is the norm for treatment like this? This past week has been $800 and I was thinking that was a little extreme. They charge $5 every blood prick! :cry:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You had had a rough time of it. N is a hard insulin to regulate with as it hits hard, goes down fast and then goes right back up again. The testing at home will really get you a handle on things. Here is a primer on N: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=303

Can you give us a clearer picture of your numbers?

Something like this

1/24 The number you got in the morning Then the units of N you gave
    +3 for example - this would be the number you got 3 hours after you gave the insulin
    +6 number 6 hours after the insulin
    Evening number before you gave insulin

That will really help us see what is going on with his blood glucose levels.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hi there and welcome
    take a deep breath ok and we'll help you figure this out.

first, the higher the number does not mean more insulin is needed so stick with 1/2 or 1 unit, no more, for now. by doing so, you can actually make the numbers even higher. it's something called rebound, or symogi effect.

you are testing at home yes?

and sadly, i will probably be the first to tell you that N acts this way in alot of cats so what you are seeing is not totally abnormal for that insulin. sooooooooooo, you're going to stick with a smaller dose and collect some data or you could consider switching to a gentler insulin perhaps.

4. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

As long as you are on that insulin, you are likely to get roller coaster numbers like this.Thank God you didn't give your cat the two units again tonight. I know you are stuck using that insulin for now, but ask your vet to prescribe lantus or levemir. If he or she won't, find another vet.I hate to be so blunt but we seem to have an epidemic of cats going hypo lately.

It is better to have your cat run too high then too low until you can get the insulin changed.If you don't already test for ketones, you can get urine stix to test for them at any drug store. Good luck and keep us posted!

5. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Thank you so much already! Man, why won't my vet tell me this? I have read through the insulin pages before. The one that I used, Vetsilin was discontinued, right? Then he was on Prozinc and now Novulin. Is the only place you can get it is from the vet? I thought someone told me you could get it at a Farm and Home Store. What would you think is a gentler insulin?
    I am testing at home now. I really thought it would be much harder, but tonight, I did it by myself! (This morning my husband and I did it together). I only wasted 2 strips doing it alone :)
    So, 6:00 AM, 26 reading. He ate about 1/2 a can of Fancy Feast and no insulin. Throughout the day, he probably finished the can, and I have dry Rx W/D diabetic out for him (the vet says give this, otherwise I would just do the Fancy Feast classics).
    5:30 PM 408 reading. Fed 1/4 can and 1 unit of Novulin.

6. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

The Lantus - would I get that at a Pharmacy? Is there anyway to get it without the vet giving it to me? I assume the only one they sell is the one I'm using and it was $75 for a tiny bottle!

7. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

to be honest, the dry is is horrible. stick with the FF and please test as omitting dry may give you better numbers. lantus and levemir are gentler insulins. they work totally different than N and PZI. why did vet change from PZI to N.. bad move IMHO

8. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

all insulins other than N must have a RX. and you want the pens and not the vial. more expensive up front but cheaper in the long run. someone will be along to explain it better

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Novulin or Humulin N may be available without a prescription in some places. The longer acting, gentler insulins (Lantus and Levemir) require a prescription. Many vets are not overly familiar with Lantus (glargine) or Levemir (detemir). There is a dosing protocol available for both of these types of insulin and they are well researched in cats. My cat was initially placed on Humulin N by the emergency vet. My regular vet commented that it is a good insulin for dogs but not so much for cats.

Until you are comfortable with home testing, I would not change your cat's food or change it very gradually. R/D is very high in carbohydrates -- 35%. The Fancy Feast Classics are probably not more than 5%. Changing your cat's food will drop his numbers so you need to be able to test with a reasonable degree of comfort in order to know where his BG levels are. Once a cat has a hypo incident, they can be ultra sensitive to the effects of insulin and make them even more prone to low numbers.

10. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

With N insulin you need to feed at least 1/2hr. before shooting so food is on board. N is fast acting, short duration so test, feed, wait a good 1/2hr. then shoot.

11. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Couple of questions just to be safe:

1. What type of insulin are you using? (read the bottle and post exact wording--the letter that comes after the word 'Novolin' is important). For anyone reading, I'm just want to make sure it's not R.

2. What type of syringes are you using? (read and post what's on the barrel or package). Again, just a reality check--want to make sure they're u-100.

12. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

1/2 CC U40 SYRINGES
    NOVOLIN N NPH HUMAN INSULIN ISOPHANE SUSPENSION

13. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Novolin N is usually a U100 insulin and should be used with u100 syringes. Did your vet by chance dilute the insulin? Is there a marking anywhere on the label of the vial that reads u40 or u100 anywhere?

14. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I seriously want to cry! EVERY time we have taken him in to have his glucose checked, they always told us to up it. He started out 1 unit, then 2, then 2 twice a day! It sounds to me like he's getting too much. I seriously doubt that I can get her to start the Lantus, and I am wanting to change vets, but I am afraid he'll have to go through another $800 worth of tests at a new vet???

15. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

No markings on vial.

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If your vet prescribed ProZinc once and will do it again, you could do fine with it. It is a mild insulin and now that you are hometesting, you can stay right on top of the blood glucose numbers. That way, you wouldn't have to change vets.

17. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Also, about the food. They want me to buy the dry RX diet W/D or M/D there. I mentioned that as a treat I will buy give him a jar of beef or chicken baby food - just meat no rice or noodles. She said that was bad to do? Everything I have read here talks only wet food, and it doesn't have to be the prescription kind. Confused!! :?:

18. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

You have to be careful that the baby food has no onions in it. Onions are not good for kitties.

We're on prozinc and like it pretty well so far. If you feel like it's time to change vets, and it very well may be, just ask for a copy of your file for your personal records, then take them with you.

And before you think $800 is that bad, when Sam went into DKA (which is how we found out he had diabetes), he spent a week in the hospital and it was well into the thousands.

19. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If she is using U40 syringes and U100 insulin, does someone have a conversion?

I'm very sorry this is so scary right now. Unfortunately, it sounds like you've been getting some bad advice from your vet and her common sense doesn't seem that great if she doesn't understand that babyfood will at least help provide some nutrition.

Right now your cat has likely been on a rollercoaster from too much insulin causing extreme highs and lows. Getting food in and learning to hometest will really make things easier. Then you can make an educated decision about type of insulin

Jen

20. JL and Chip

Ok, that's part of the problem. Those are the WRONG syringes to use with that insulin and unless the insulin is diluted (and it sounds like it's not) it means you're giving 2.5 times more units of insulin than you think.

When you measure to the "1" mark on your syringe, you're actually giving 2.5 units of insulin. When you measure to the "2" line, you're giving 5 units.

N can be q challenging insulin to work with anyway, but the deck is stacked against you even further with the syringe variable.

For what it's worth, it's an easy mistake to make. Prozinc is a U-40 insulin so you probably got u-40 syringes when you used thst insulin. However when you switched to Novolin (a u-100 insulin), you need matching syringes.

To give 1 true unit in your current syringes, you need to measure to the 0.4 mark (there is no such mark so you'd need to estimate).

There's much more to discuss regarding food and other insulin choices, but for now, continue hometesting and well help you figure this all out. It's no wonder your kitty was crashing-- those were some hefty doses of a harsh insulin.

Please keep testing tonight.

Hang in there and keep asking questions.

21. JL and Chip

Conversion chart

Here's a link to the conversion chart.
    http://felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

NOTE: you'll need to read it in reverse -- i.e, read your desired dose from the right column and then use the left column to see where to draw up to on the syringe. For example, to give ONE unit, draw to 0.4 (zero point four) on your u-40 syringe.

Does anyone have a link to chart that shows the u-100 to u-40 conversion (to make it easier to read)? I thought we had one posted at one point...

Anyway, if in doubt, please ask. This can be confusing stuff even to those who have been at this a long time.

22. patricia&princess(GA)

patricia&princess(GA) Member

where do you live? (city/state -- we don't want to stalk you :smile: ) There might be people in your area that can suggest some more knowledgeable vets and help you out as you help your kitty.

23. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I feel so bad... exactly what happened. I just went to the vet and asked for syringes, not thinking about different sizes. I only gave 1 at 5 pm and when he ate and was 408. Now I know and cam start adjusting now that I can test on my own. THANK-YOU. I live in Joplin Missouri. Any one close??? I obviously need help!!! ;)

24. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I cross posted over in Community for you so hopefully someone is close. I know we have members down around there somewhere I think, but it has been a long day and my brain is out to lunch atm.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

25. JL and Chip

To make your life easier (and to aid in giving more accurate doses), you probably want to get some U-100 syringes.

Walmart carries the Relion brand -- ask for 3/10cc U-100 insulin syringes with 1/2 unit markings, 31 gauge. Approximate price is typically around $12.50 for a box of 100.

26. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I can't say how thankful I am. I think this is the first time in a week that I feel hope and relief. Plus my kitty just jumped up on the bed, he hasn't been able to do that for awhile!

27. MommaOfMuse

You are definitely not alone with this disease, ever single one of us here either currently have or have had a diabetic kitty. We eat, breathe and sleep feline diabetes here. :D

Some of us even have several diabetics...and by choice. I actually adopted my Max from this very board because he was a diabetic. You have tons of excellent advice here and we will hold your hand/paw the whole way through it. Before you know it Sprats will be running around like a kitten again. Or as close to it as a 15 year old kitty gets. And btw we think 15 is just a young thing ohmygod_smile We have several that pushing 20.

So just Breathe now that you are finally here it will get so much easier.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

28. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hiya! So sorry you've been on such a roller coaster. You are in wonderful hands here, so please stick around, ask lots of questions, etc.

You've got the syringe thing straightened out, which will help tremendously. And now you'll be home testing, so you can begin to make more informed dosage decisions, see how your Sprats responds to the insulin. Then you can work on the food. You absolutely do not need expensive vet food, and the food in question has ALOT of carbs, which is not good for a diabetic kitty. Unfortunately, vets just aren't always up on these things. I just broke up with my vet and am narrowing down the search for a new one who is better versed in my insulin.

I can't really help with N as we're on Lantus, but I am in KC. I know it's almost Wednesday... I would be happy to maybe meet half way sometime this weekend if you want to chat, go over hometesting, etc. Feel free to PM me for contact information.

Hang in there. You're in the right place now!

29. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Next time you visit/contact your vet, I would sure point out that you had the
    WRONG SYRINGES (U-40) to use with Humulin (U-100).

This is a serious mistake, and could have been fatal to your cat if you
    had not found us.

30. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Some pharmacists will insist that no such thing exists (1/2-unit markings), and will try
    to sell you 1/2cc capacity syringes instead.

INSIST on seeing the words "1/2-unit marks" or something similar on the box of syringes.

If they don't stock them, they can be ordered.

31. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Wow! I cannot believe all the support I have found!! :D
    Sprats came to my bed this morning - something else he has not done in awhile. I tested his blood and it was 513 at 7:00. He ate 1/4 can of FF and then I gave my guess on the syringe that I have of .5 unit. I had to leave for work, but am very optimistic about today!! I won't be home until 6 or so, so I left out the rest of the FF and water.

Not buying the dry RX food will help us, $ wise. Hopefully that will offset the insulin if I can find a vet to prescribe the Lantus. Do you think that would be best, or continue the Novulin at the reduced doseage???

He needs to get some meat back on his bones! Does anyone have an opinion about the baby food? The ingredients are meat and water, no veggies or rice or grain. I get it at Wal-mart $.76 a jar. He really likes it and tuna. I have read here that alot of tuna (or fish) is not good, so usually that is just once a week. I buy FF classics and Friskies pate. They are all on the Binky's list. Hopefully that will offset the insulin if I can find a vet to prescribe the Lantus. Do you think that would be best, or continue the Novulin at the reduced doseage???

Also, he is kinda smelly and is licking his fur all the time! The vet said that sometimes they get too much sugar and it leaks out their skin and that is the smell. My husband says it smells like Staph infection.

32. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Babyfood is used when a cat isn't eating anything but is not a balanced diet and shouldn't be used for long. Fishy foods are tempting and low in carbs but aren't the best protein source so try not to feed all the time. I balance chicken, beef and some fish throughout the day.

Regarding insulin, I think a reduced dose (and lots of ketone testing) of N is fine until you can find someone to prescribe lantus but I'd get onto lantus as soon as you can (or levemir).

Now, this thing your vet says about sugar oozing is just BS and scares me....have to tell you that... One smell that some people can detect (many cant) is ketones and it can smell like nail polish/acetone but like I said, few can detect it.

33. Karen & Smokey(GA)

A frequent reaction here...you're 'one of us' now.

He's feeling better ! My 2 non-diabetic cats each eat 2 full cans of FF per day.

You will have sticker shock on the price of Lantus. Be sure the vet prescribes the Lantus cartridges/pens.

The pens/cartridges are only sold in packs of 5 3ml (1500 units of insulin).

The 10ml (1000 units) vial of Lantus 'seems' cheaper ...
    BUT (big 'but), the shelf life of Lantus is short, and you will throw away a huge amount
    of Lantus if you get the 10ml vial (it goes 'bad').

You open one 3ml cartridge (300 units) at a time, and many here use it to the last drop. One cartridge
    should last you a couple of months with proper handling.

The handling of Lantus is different than ProZinc. You do not roll or shake it.
    Be sure to read up on Lantus on the Insulin Support Group for Lantus here on FDMB.
    You will sorta have to un-learn the dosing protocols you might be used to.

Get your prescription, then come here before filling it at the pharmacy. Sometimes
    someone can sell you a single cartridge, which will help with the start-up costs.
    We will not provide you with insulin unless you have your prescription (legal issues).

For now, I think you need to continue with the Novolin, reduced dose, until this
    gets straightened out. Sprats needs something.

Answered by Jen & Squeek, above.

That's puzzling. I do know that cats with advanced kidney disease can smell with blood wastes the
    kidneys cannot remove. It's a sort of sour smell. The fur is usually greasy and unkempt, also.

34. MommaOfMuse

Another thing that will help you $$ wise is learning to test him at home and doing your own curves at home where Mr. Sprats is all nice and relaxed in his own enviroment. No more hauling him back and forth to the vet all the time for curves. Not only does this keep dollars in your wallet it give a truer picture of how the insulin is working in his body, since his BGs aren't raised by stress.

My Max was in sad shape when I got him home with me. He is a large boy, probably one of the tallest cats I have ever met and he only weighed 10.5 lbs back on October 15 when he came to live with me. He was so weak that he hadn't been able to groom himself and had to be shaved to rid him of his mats which made him look like a walking rack of bones. Within 2 weeks of being on Lantus and a low carb wet diet Max went into remission where he remains today. Not only is he still in remission my beautiful boy is now a big heavy armful of love. He tips the scales at 15lbs which is just about perfect for his size. He chases the 9 month old kittens through the house. Stands up to a nosey 75 lb dog, and is generally the light of my life.

And while my vets know he exists as they have the vet records that he came home with, they have yet to physically lay eyes on him. There has been no need. He was UTD on his shots and just been fully vetted when I got him. I still test him once a week and at the end of the month just email his spreadsheet to my vet. At this point unless something else healthwise crops up they probably will not see him until it is time for everyone's yearly check-up and rabies shots.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

35. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Regarding the smell and fur - Friday when I took him back to the vet, she did a complete CBC on him. She said that if his kidneys were failing or had any other problems, that it would be an easy decision to put him down. She said that everything came back fine, so that is why we didn't put him down. When we questioned the smell that is when she said that about the sugar seeping out through the skin.

36. MommaOfMuse

It doesn't smell like fingernail polish does it?

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

37. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang,
    That is an amazing story! I hope that I can get this controlled to have my "old" Sprats back like Max came back! Very admirable!!

38. MommaOfMuse

Check your PM (click the thing at the top of the board that says new messages.) You have pictures of Max so you can see exactly how far a kitty can come in a short amount of time. Because sometimes pictures speak louder than words.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

39. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I called my pharmacy to check on the price for Lantus. $220 for 3 pens Opticlick or $220 for qty 15 of Solostar? What is the correct one??

40. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

In the USA you can get Lantus as:
    a 10 ml vial
    a pack of five 3ml cartridges that are used in the OpiClick Pen
    a pack of five 3m SoloStar disposable pens.

For all of them you just use a standard insulin syringe to draw the Lantus out of the vial/cartridge/disposable pen. Where I go, the cost of the cartridges and disposable pens are the same. I suspect that yours are the same price too and the information you wrote got garbled.

41. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

So, since they are cartridges for the pen, do I also need the pen? If it is better to get the 15 ml (3X5) in pen than the 10 ml vial, does the pen not expire? I read where it was better to get the pens, because the vial expires and you have to throw it out - but if you're getting 3 pens at the same time, isn't that a total of more 5 ml? Sorry for the dumb question!!

42. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most get the pens or cartridges so you end up discarding the minimum amount of Lantus since rarely will a 10 ml vial remain effective till all is used up. You do not use the pen with the cartridge. The cartridge, pen and vial all have a rubber stopper that you pierce with the needled syringe to draw out the insulin.

43. MommaOfMuse

You don't need the pens just the cartridges as you will use a regular syringe to draw the insulin. The pens themselves are more for human diabetics because they use much higher doses at a time. You just open one cartridge at a time. So it doesn't go bad as fast as the vials do.

Oh yeah the only silly or stupid question is the one that goes unasked. :D

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

44. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Did you make a typing error ?

Should be quantity of 5 of each, I think, for some price. Never heard of buying them 3 at a time.

Get whichever is the cheapest. Compute the cost per 3ml cartridge, or the cost per 3ml
    pen and get the cheapest one.

You do not need the pen itself, nor the pen needles. You will use regular insulin syringes.

45. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Hmmm...

I still don't understand the quantity of 3 pens (thought they were sold in batches of 5 only).

Maybe they meant a package (5) of 3ml pens for $220 which is $44 per pen.

And the qty 15 is probably 15 ml of insulin in 5 3ml Solostar pens....which is the same cost per
    unit of $44.

You need to call back and ask more questions about how many 3ml pens/cartridges/whatevers
    are in each package.

Also, tell them you need only the cartridges themselves, not the pen thingee.

46. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Lantus pens and cartridges do come in a box of 5, though sometimes a pharmacy will sell just one pen or cartridge. Each pen or cartridge contains 3 ml of insulin.

Both the SolorStar pens or the OptiClick cartridges can be used for cats. You don't need pen needles or an insulin delivery pen. You use insulin syringes to get the insulin out. There is a rubber stopper at one end of the cartridge and uncapped pen that you stick the insulin syringe needle right into, just like with an insulin bottle. If you use the SoloStar pen, ignore the dose dial/button thing at the top. You won't ever need to use it for your cat since you will be using insulin syringes to get the insulin out.

Here are pictures of how to use a pen or cartridge: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

47. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Which did you do:
    Draw U-100 insulin to the ".5 unit mark" in a U-40 syringe. TRUE DOSE = 1.25u
    Draw U-100 insulin to the approximate ".2 unit-mark" in a U-40 syringe. TRUE DOSE = .5u

What was your TRUE DOSE of U-100 insulin (Lantus)

Note to new readers: She has U-100 insulin, but U-40 syringes

48. Dale

Dale Member

I'm in Tulsa

if I can help at all and if you haven't gotten the insulin yet I have a free bottle of Lantus I can send you (or drive part way up the turnpike to give you) to get you started. Let me know.

49. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Which did you do:
    Draw U-100 insulin to the ".5 unit mark" in a U-40 syringe. TRUE DOSE = 1.25u
    Draw U-100 insulin to the approximate ".2 unit-mark" in a U-40 syringe. TRUE DOSE = .5u

What was your TRUE DOSE of U-100 insulin (Lantus)

Note to new readers: She has U-100 insulin, but U-40 syringes[/quote]
    This morning, the reading was 513 so I fed (1/4 FF) and drew up NOVULIN n almost up to the very bottom line. It was almost right on top of the bottom of the syring, so I think it was at the .2 unit mark on the U-40 syringe. Last night at 6:00 test was 408 so I fed and gave 1 unit on U-40 syringe. That was before I discovered I was using the wrong needle, so he got .5 X more than he should have. But, his sugar was still high this morning. That was still better than the day before at 6:00 AM it was 26!

How many doses in each Lantas pen? Also do you use the U-40 or U-100 Syringes for the Lantus?

50. Dale

Dale Member

Sent you a PM

USPS can deliver by Saturday. Just need addy via PM.

51. Dale

Dale Member

OK, got your addy. Will mail tomorrow morning via USPS priority service which says they will get to you by Saturday. Will include as many U-100 syringes as I can stuff in the box along with the insulin. The expiry date is 8/11.

Other board members will help you with how much to start with since they have been helping you so far and I'm not on the board every day nor weekends. Visit the Lantus ISG to read the Stickies on using the insulin.

Good luck. I'll call Sat. night to make sure you received the insulin okay. I can always drive up to Miami and meet you Sunday if there is a delay in delivery.

52. Karen & Smokey(GA)

That would be a true dose of .5 units any U-100 insulin.

In a U-40 syringe, That would be a true dose of 2.5 units of a U-100 insulin.

Huh ? Does that mean you were using a U-100 syringe...in that case the true dose of a U-100 insulin would be 1-unit.

Lantus vial, Lantus pen, Lantus cartridge: You use U-100 syringes with Lantus---always, no matter what
    the container.
    Please put your U-40 syringes away somewhere where you can't confuse them with the U-100 ones.

There are 300units of Lantus in a pen or cartridge. If you are giving 1 unit 2x /day, then that is 150 days
    (3 months). If you are giving 2 units 2x / day, then that is 75 days (1-1/2) months. Most here are able
    to use the pen to almost the last drop. But mis-handling the Lantus will cause it to go bad an you will toss
    some.

Dale is sending you a 10ml vial, which contains 1,000 units. In theory that would be 3-6 months worth,
    but you will not likely be able to use it all before it goes bad. At least it will get you started until you can
    get some cartridges or pens.

Note to new readers: She has U-100 insulin, but U-40 syringes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.