Any carb info on New Wellness Core Grain-Free Dry Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I have seen that Wellness has a new recipe for their Grain Free Core line. Because I am feeding all my cats (not just Webber) low carb I was wondering if anyone knew the carb content of their new recipe. Dry food could help out with some of their teeth.

Just a thought
    Paige and Webber

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Unless the dry food is specifically formulated to clean teeth, dry does not help clean teeth.

Picu likes this.
  3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Well pooh Larry lol. Thanks!

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

To answer your question about CORE's carb content, Janet and Binky's chart lists it as 11.

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Debbie :)

6. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Dry food does not clean cat's teeth: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/does-dry-food-clean-the-teeth/.

The only way to maintain good dental health is to regularly brush the cat's teeth and have periodic dental cleanings done. There are dental chews that you can get from the vet but they are not appropriate for a diabetic cat.

Carbs are not the only thing that matters when picking a food; dry foods are not good to feed cats because they are moisture depleted. Cats need moisture with their food, and feeding a dry diet causes chronic dehydration. This can result in chronic kidney disease and urinary tract disease.

7. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Strongly agree with Julia.

1) The myth that dry food promotes dental health needs to be shot and put out of its misery.

2) I am in the middle of writing a paper for my colleagues and included this statement:

Anyone condoning the feeding of dry food to cats needs to have a cork placed into their urethra for at least 48 hours to experience the intense pain and misery that dry food (read:water-depleted) causes for many cats.

See Opie's pictures on my Urinary Tract Health page for a good look at the suffering that dry food causes.

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

That would be for the original Wellness CORE dry food. The new CORE dry formulas are probably around the same amount of carbs.

Keep in mind that grain-free does not necessarily mean low carb, epecially dry foods. Dry foods need some kind of starch to hold the food in the kibble shape. Things like tapioca and potato are commonly used as starches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.