? Any cat here actually have/had potassium deficiency

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Misterbeesmom, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

due to the excessive peeing of unregulated diabetes?

I'm curious as to how often this may have happened here. Potassium comes up a lot when people talk of muscle weakness, and i'm wondering if its common or not.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My Squallie has been diagnosed with a potassium deficency. I thought he was maybe experiencing some neuropathy but when his vet did a senior panel on him we discovered his potassium was low. He takes a daily supplement and is just fine now.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  3. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Yup, when Max had DKA he was like a limp rag due to the low potassium. He barely moved. We orally supplimented and in a couple days he perked up. Insulin is another factor in low potassium, it pushes potassium into the cells and out of the bloodstream causing it to be unavailable to the rest of the body.

Misterbeesmom and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes it happens but because of another medical problem.
    It happens frequently in cats with chronic kidney disease (CKD) because the cats urinate so some muc a lot of potassium gets urinated out and a potassium supplement is needed.
    O have had two cays with CKD that required potassium supplements

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  5. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Yes. When Osha had DKA she had to take potassium pills.

6. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Actually, insulin itself can cause a potassium deficiency in cats. Occasionally, if a cat has raised potassium, a vet will administer insulin and dextrose in combination - the insulin lowers the potassium level and the dextrose stops a cat that doesn't otherwise need insulin from going into hypo.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My Tiffany had CKD and low potassium. Get NOW potassium gluconate. It's already in powder form and the starting dose is just 1/8 teaspoon. I mixed it in a little baby food that she would always eat as a treat. I thought at one point Max needed it but he jumped up really fast so I stopped. Now that he's getting fluids every test has been good without. If you supplement you need to test to make sure it doesn't go high as that is dangerous as well. So talk with your vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.