any chance we can have a FOOD forum?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie & Kyndra, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

there is so much talk, questions, comments, etc. about food and I wondered if it was possible to have a sub forum on just FOOD?

I for one and finally switching from the expensive prescription Purina DM to other canned. I have one diabetic and one not. I have been using FF but that is expensive, too so have been trying to decipher Purina 9lives, friskies, etc. I know Wellness and others might be better but THEY are just as expensive as the DM. I am on a very slim budget right now and I also live in a rural area with limited stores.

Anyway (got a little off track there), I was trying to do some searches on the health forum for some food thread and it was so much to search thru to find what I was looking for, whereas if we had an individual forum JUST for food it would make everything much easier.

Sorry if this has already been adressed.

thanks

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Try looking here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

There is no perfect food. You need to consider nutritional composition, ingredients, and budget. For a diabetic without any other complications such as CRF, IBD, etc., I would look at Janet & Binky's food charts and choose something with 10% or less of calories from carbs. (10 or less in the carb column). There are many good, low budget choices such as 9 Lives, Friskies, and Sophisticat.

3. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

I for one think there are too many forums as it is. I often forget to go to other boards and miss a lot and I think by isolating topics things can be missed by new people who are trying to learn.

I can completely relate to the issue of cost of feeding an appropriate food. I personally found I saved a lot of money when I ground my own cat food from Dr. Lisa's recipe at http://www.catinfo.org Granted the initial cost of the grinder is hard to over come, but after that it was very economical and I knew exactly what was going into my cat's diet.

Connie

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

There are some threads under the Health Links section.

I cannot recall how to find the treating FD the frugal way but that did have some money saving tips, however it may need to be updated at this point.

Or... maybe a new thread added under the Health Links section that discusses canned food options for less can be created.

However, if you haven't had the chance to look at the Health Links there's a some good posts on diet and nutrition that may be helpful.

This one says more to be added, maybe some information can be gathered to add that more information.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.