Any cooked people food he can eat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ja9390, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ja9390

ja9390 Member

This is so unimportant, but I was curious. Before Diego became diabetic, he had a taste of just about every single one of my meals, and everyone else in the household shared with him as well...I knew it wasn't the best for him but it was our special moment together. A lot of what I eat and what I've always fed him (this doesn't include the shrimp lo mein or hamburger helper pasta meals that the rest of the family would offer him, of course) isnt bad for blood sugar at all, and in fact, produces a near flatline in terms of insulin response. Would giving him little tastes of what I eat hurt him too much? Earlier I had eggs over easy and he was really eyeing that runny yolk. He keeps his eyes on any kind of cheese and yogurt too (plain old whole milk yogurt). Baked chicken, grilled meats, etc. He wants it and doesn't understand why I suddenly stopped sharing with him. I'm concerned about the salt on the food more than anything. What do y'all think? Are there special foods that you still share with your babies?

2. Kim Page

Kim Page New Member

I give my cats tuna packed w/ water when we eat tuna fish. It's low carb and salt. I say read the label and go from there. They say do not feed your pets table foods but I do if I feel it won't hurt.

We only live once :)

3. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Cooked plain chicken and other meats should be ok and a tad plain yogurt shouldn't hurt.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Any "people food" that is fed to a kitty should have NO garlic or onions for sure. Excess salt can also be bad especially if they have any sort of kidney or heart issues. When I cook regular meats I cook it plain with no added spices and cut some off for my kitties before I add any extra seasoning.

Critter Mom and Cat girl like this.
  5. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I was use to giving mine a tad on my finger of what I had that my cat likes yogurt etc that I ate and after her getting diabetes I feel so bad looking into those eyes not being able to give her what she likes.im very limited :confused:

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I made sure to say plain in the meats too

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. ja9390

ja9390 Member

I'll give him small little bites of unseasoned plain meats and tiny tastes of dairy then. What he really loves is lunch meat...that probably has too much sodium in it to feed as more than the occasional treat

Cat girl likes this.
  8. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Lunch meat has sodium and some have sugar in it too.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.