Any experience with Lasix or Furosimide?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George and Bert, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

I have two cats on Lantus, but my issue is with one of their buddies. Cory ( Bert's sister )is a 14 year old fixed female former feral and a real prissy and afraid of everything. She has had a cough for many years and my Vets have done the usual Pred. Depo, Clavamox, Convenia routine over the years, although not all at the same time. Each Vet in the practice has a different opinion, but all say allergy related. The cough does sometime come and go.

Three months ago I brought her in due to her spells starting. They took xrays which showed nothing conclusive. She was so anxious she stayed breathing through her mouth and panting the entire time along with peeing herself and vomiting. When I got her home it stayed for several hours and I thought she was going to die. Each time I bring her in it intensifies.

The her cough stopped , but her breathing was forced and her appetite dwindle and she went from 10.6 lbs to 8.6 pounds. She was struggling. I knew if I brought her in it would kill her. The Vet said bring her in again and I said no and called the next Vet in the practice who said he would not talk to me about her without seeing her although he has seen her in the past and has all the records. ( I was in the office with another cat ) He spouted off all the things that could be wrong with her, but over the years he has never suggested anything except allergy treatment. He even suggested Keto. Furosimide raised blood sugar so I belive it's hard to test BG level. Then I call Vet three.

I pleased with him to hep and asked for a home visit which he rejected. But he did leave some Furosimide for me. It was like a miracle drug. Within hours I saw a difference.
    Since then she has been eating and drinking and acting normal. However, sometime I see her struggling with breathing a bit as I can see her stomach rise and fall more rapidly. So, I am wondering if the dose is too lite.

I give her 1/2 a 12.5 tab BID. I also give her 1/2 5 mg tab once every other day because I want to remove it from her eventually, but soon. It "seems" she does worse the night after the Pred dose.

Any experience with this?

Thanks

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I would take Corey in and have her heart checked. The fact that Corey is somewhat better on lasix means she was retaining water. Retaining water and difficulty breathing CAN be signs of heart disease. If it's heart and not an allergy the Pred might not be needed and that is what raises BG levels.

My vet diagnosed Maggie's HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) when she heard a distinctive galloping rhythm when listening to Maggie's heart. An EKG confirmed. Maggie took lasix (which is furosimide) and diltiazim and a VERY small dose of aspirin. The proper meds can make a huge difference in quality of life.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

One of our civies had CHF, he took prednisolone and Lasix for many months - 2.5mg BID on the Lasix. He wasn't diabetic so we didn't have to worry about bg numbers. It kept him comfortable until he crossed January 2013.

HUGS!

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The x-rays should have sown any problems with the lungs or heart. including fluid around the heat. I would try a second opinion from another vet.

5. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

While you figure out your options, you might do some of the following:

Systematic desensitization: a gradual process of exposure therapy with tiny increases between steps which allows any fear to be experienced and survived successfully, gradually building up the ability to tolerate greater levels of the feared situation. Positive reinforcements such as low carb treats, desired toys, etc may be used for this.

So, for example, break down the vet visit into a series of small steps.
    1) The carrier - leave it out, with a comfy towel in it, maybe a fun toy or some catnip. Play around it and in it frequently until it is no big deal.
    2) swing the door closed, then open it. Repeat often until it is no big deal.
    3) Add in picking up the carrier and putting it down

and so on.

Always make steps tiny.
    If a step is too much, back up a level, plus see if you can find an intermediate step that isn't as much of a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.