Any harm switching cat not on insulin to low carbs?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by soozeq1, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soozeq1

soozeq1 New Member

Our cat Luke is exhibiting symptoms that might be diabetes, but even if not, from everything I read, would it hurt to immediately switch to a low carb diet? He is on 32% carbs and it is winter, so not getting the squirrels and birds he normally eats in the summer. His back legs seem to be weaker. Going to vet tomorrow for testing, but is insulin avoidable if diet is addressed first? He is not in an advanced state of anything, but just beginning to exhibit signs of lethargy and rear leg weakness, doesn't leap up like before (although he still jumps onto a four foot shelf but only after thinking about it). He is seven. Drinks lots of water, eats well, poops and pees normally. Is the insulin avoidable if diet is addressed immediately?

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Changing him to low carb canned or raw foods is always a good idea.

Many cats' BG's will drop from the food change. But do keep in mind that your cat may still have higher than normal BG's and will require some insulin to help the pancreas heal.

Are you home testing or plan to home test? It's the best way to know how well the food change is working and also vitally important to do when administering insulin.

If his back legs are weak, this could be another sign of diabetes and with some help of using Methyl B12 and insulin it may reverse itself. Here is the Methyl B12 I used. I would put one capsule mixed into the canned food daily.
    http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-B12-Methylc ... 0-Capsules

There are many brands and types of B12 available on the market, you need to make sure that you get the one that is methylcobalamin B12 as this is the one that works for neuropathy (weakness in legs, walking on hocks, etc).

Also, since you are going to the vet tomorrow, may I suggest that you visit the ISG forums and read up on the different insulin options. Many of us here use Lantus or Levimer, as they are long acting insulins.

3. soozeq1

soozeq1 New Member

Thank you so much, I will take all info to the vet with me. I have a urine sample for testing that we got today.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Per your PM, ISG refers to insulin support groups. It's another forum with subgroups for each insulin type on this board.

Here is the link for them:

Link to all ISG forums: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=5

Make sure to read the first set of messages in the forums as they are the ones that contain information about the insulin.

Lantus link: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

Levimer link: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=10

Please note, that Lantus and levimer act in a similar fashion, they are made by different pharmaceutical companies, but their overall performance in cats is the same.

PZI: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=24

VETSULIN / CANINSULIN/ HUMULIN N: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=19

5. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

I'm not sure where I read it, but I don't think a urine sample taken today will be useful for testing tomorrow. I think there's a fairly short window.

6. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Most of us had to learn what was the right food for a cat - diabetic or not diabetic... and now most of us feed our non-diabetic cats a species appropriate (that is, low carb, protein rich) diet to help lower the risk of diabetes and other such illnesses that are often caused by bad diet.

So... no. There is no harm in switching.

It does sound like your kitty is suffering the symptoms of diabetes and a vet check up is in order... Good for you for being so pro-active. Make sure they do a fructosamine test - that is the test to determine the diagnosis of feline diabetes. Some vets like to do them later on after treatment, but they are not really needed then if you are home testing. But it's definitely needed to confirm the diagnosis of feline diabetes.

Please keep us posted.

7. soozeq1

soozeq1 New Member

Thanks, Victoria, will ask for the fructosomine test. Also, looked into the urine test and hopefully an 18 hour refrigerated sample will not be too old.

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I feed the same low carb canned food to all my kitties (one diabetic, 3 "civilians")

Two of my civilian (non-diabetic) kitties have lost too much weight, so I've started giving them some higher calorie treats.

9. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am feeding 6 cats. One, (Stormy Blue), is a diet controlled diabetic with mild CRD. The other five are healthy, but one is still rather fat, (Leo was obese at adoption in September, but is now down to 18lbs). They all six get fed the exact same diet - lo-carb, and lo-phosphorous Wellness grain free, Friskies Special Diet, and Evo 95% meat canned foods. The civvies are doing great on this diet which is aimed at providing Stormy Blue with optimum nutrition w/o compromising his health issues.

~M

10. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Actually, all cats should be on a low carb/high protein diet, as it is the most species appropriate thing to eat (barring medical conditions that contradict this, of course!). So switching him now- as well as any other cats you may have- is a good idea. And if he does turn out be be diabetic, it will facilitate getting him under control, even if a course of insulin is needed.

11. soozeq1

soozeq1 New Member

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Just got back from the vet with Luke and yay, he doesn't have diabetes! The urinalysis was totally normal says the vet. He now has new food - Hill's R-D prescription, and a whole body supplement tablet each day. The new food has half the calories his old stuff did, and he loves it! We'll see how he feels in the next few weeks. He is about 3 lbs. overweight says the doc. (116). I will let you know if he recovers from his hind leg issues (saddle thrombosis also ruled out!)

12. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Eeek! Sorry to burst your bubble but RD is not a great food at all ! It might have fewer carbs but the quality of ingredients are really crappy. Any chance you could return it?

That aside, very glad that diabetes has been ruled out!

13. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Please... no Hill's... Hill's has way too many carbs. It's not a species appropriate diet at all. That RD is listed on Janet's chart as having over 30% carbs. If he's not diabetic now, he may become diabetic with that diet. Many of us fed Hill's Science Diet and other prescription food for years and ended up here.

I'm sorry... I'm just so sad that you got this information from a vet.

Please stick around and learn more about feline diet ... see http://www.catinfo.org Please.

What is the issues that made the vet prescribe the Hill's RD? If it's just an overweight issue, you can safely have your kitty lose weight on a low carb wet food diet that will help prevent (instead of develop) diabetes.

By the way... My Sundance was 10.5 lbs (2 lbs over weight) for 5 years on Hill's low cal foods... She never lost an ounce until she was diabetic... After being on a low carb diet and recovering from the FD, she was never overweight again... Always a solid 7.5 lbs and active for the last couple years of her life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.