Any healthy treat suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Newly diagnosed last week. Already on Lantus and Fancy Feast low carbs-he needs to gain weight but in a low carb way. He always loved canned food but misses treats

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Any freeze dried treat like Pure Bites are fine....the only ingredient is a protein source.

You can also give something like baked chicken, a little human tuna (no onion/no garlic!) or any pure protein without any seasonings.

Here's a list of other Low Carb Treats (but it probably needs to be updated)

Laura bb likes this.
  3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you I have 3 cats but I can`t just give the 2 non diabeticics treats and not Nermal!

4. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

My kitty loves Orijen treats- freeze dried meats (some are blends like goat and boar with arctic char).

5. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you about to go to Petco or Petsmart later today. Still new to this I already have the fancy feast diet of less carbs my vet told me. He loves canned food cause I used to give it as treat. I used to buy human cheap tuna in water -he likes cheap brand. However switching to FF wet from dry -is like giving him a treat for every meal-so maybe I don't need treats. I just want Nermal to keep good spirits. I used to reward good behavior with catnip temptation mix ups also. Is regular catnip still ok though I wonder?-- All my kitties love it. However Nermal will lick and eat it.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Catnip is fine. Yes to freeze dried meat treats. There are lots of options in pet stores.

Laura bb likes this.
  7. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Oh I'm so glad you asked this question. Coco needs some good treat options too. Mostly to bribe her into more consistent BG testing - she wasn't having any of it this morning.

Laura bb likes this.
  8. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Oh man, look into freeze dried! Halo, Liv-a-Little chicken or salmon - Purebites, never tried yet myself, but I did just pick up some Redbarn freeze dried chicken and whitefish to try but the have A LOT more - duck, rabbit, quail, it's crazy almost but I haven't tried it yet.

Halo is a hands-down HIT, so here's hoping for RedBarn until I can order Purebites. Or a good bonito flake bland!

The Fancy Feast filets are good too I heard - never tried, need to get some, but those are supposed to be good. The ones that LOOK like filets, in the package.

9. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I was looking at the FF filets the other day but i couldnt read the tiny print so I did not get it

10. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

The chicken filet is: chicken, chicken broth, and salt - totally ok!

Salmon is salmon, salmon broth, salt.

Chicken in tuna broth - tuna, chicken broth, salt.

Ocean fish - mackerel (only thing on website but I called) + broth, salt.

Tuna - skipjack tuna, tuna broth, celery powder, salt.

....all of them are A-OK for kitties!

11. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you I used to give give him human cans of tuna in water about 3 times a week-the cheap stuff is what he likes more. I was too scared to stray from his diet of FF my vet told me to get. Here is the list she gave me. I have not found any Fancy Feast in aspic yet. I am going to vet Tuesday. My vet is very decent she is only charging me $27 for a follow up.

Attached Files:

12. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

That's dry matter based, not "as fed" which is what you want - anything Fancy Feast, pate - anything Friskies pate, 9Lives pate, are all under 10% carbs. Try to limit fish, if you can, since cats can grab hold of it and give you an AWFUL time of eating anything else. Try to stick with lots of chicken and turkey.

But just remember, PATE.

ASPIC I've found only with Weruva BFF brand, but it's expensive.

My babies are on Friskies, Fancy Feast, 9Lives, Special Kitty - mainly. Plus Weruva BFF, Fussie Cat, TikiCat, RedBarn and Koha for alternate lunches.

You do not have to be restricted! You don't have to stray, it's ok.. lords knows I'm ALWAYS scared, so I just get 1-2 cans of a new thing, and try it out. You'll be alright, believe me, and if they hate sometime and you can't get rid of it - you can swap with people on here! :)

That's a good vet price, btw!

Laura bb likes this.
  13. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Yes really good vet called Cats Only in Norman, Ok.

14. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Oh bless, glad you have a good place! Wait... that's.... north, I think, of Noble? I used to have some friends there, but that was back in the 90s, LOL.

Laura bb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.