Any info on "Nulo"?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dirtybirdsoaps, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

I just went to petco and petsmart to look for different options for Hidey that are cheaper than some of the ones he likes. I know the cost at store always seems to be more at the store than the online retailers I buy from but if I can buy 1 or 2 cans to try first I prefer that than to buying a case and finding out it doesnt work lol.

I purchased some Merrick Turkey pate and Beef pate. Fed the Beef pate as soon as I got home and it was gone before I walked away! Happy since its cheaper than ziwipeak. I also bought some natures variety Instinct rabbit formula and duck formula (All from Petco). Went down the street to Petsmart and there wasnt really anything I could feed Hidey although I seen a new brand "Nulo" I looked at the can and used the carb calc. and it seemed decent enough. I searched here but didnt see any mention of this brand, I googled and I guess its recently new and looked around their website although it just has the same info fro the can. I emailed them but who knows how long it will take for a response, every company varies.

Heck I emailed another company I recently noticed online (feline caviar) and they were actually no helpful at all, basically told me it was listed on the can! GRRRRR!

Anyways, any info on Nulo? I wont feed it till I have some other opinions on the carbs, just bought some of the Turkey & chicken recipe, & the Beef and lamb recipe just in case.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Be cautious with sudden food changes as they may provoke vomiting or diarrhea if they don't agree with your cat's GI tract.

3. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

Thank you BJM. Luckily my cats always seem to do pretty good with food changes. Usually the only time they have a hard time is with dry food, which we're trying to eliminate but feeding Hidey and 2 other cats 6 times a day is becoming pricey with what they're eating. I'm trying not to introduce too many new options at once though.

So it looks like the turkey and chicken are ok, but not the beef & lamb. From what I gather beef & lamb is 6.8% carbs? Would the wet vs dry be that much of a difference? With Hidey I try to stay no higher than 4% carbs

Nulo responded already:

Hi Samantha,

Sorry to hear about your kitty... Here are the dry matter canned values, hope they help you:

Carbohydrate:

Salmon & Mackerel 0.20% (wet); 0.9% (dry matter)

Chicken & Herring 0.25% (wet); 1.1% (dry matter)

Duck & Tuna 0.10% (wet); 0.5% (dry matter)

Sardine & Salmon 0.15% (wet); 0.7% (dry matter)

Turkey & Chicken 0.15% (wet); 0.7% (dry matter)

Beef & Lamb 1.5% (wet); 6.8% (dry matter)

Protein:

Salmon & Mackerel 54.5% (dry matter)

Chicken & Herring 47.7% (dry matter)

Duck & Tuna 54.5% (dry matter)

Sardine & Salmon 52.3% (dry matter)

Turkey & Chicken 56.8% (dry matter)

Beef & Lamb 45.5% (dry matter)

Phosphorous:

Salmon & Mackerel 0.219% (dry matter)

Chicken & Herring 0.211% (dry matter)

Duck & Tuna 0.219% (dry matter)

Sardine & Salmon 0.217% (dry matter)

Turkey & Chicken 0.221% (dry matter)

Beef & Lamb 0.210% (dry matter)

Please also visit http://nulo.com/medalseries-cat-canned/ for additional information.

Thanks for considering Nulo. Your cat is lucky to have you looking out for him/her.

Have a great weekend,

Gigi
    Nulo Customer Service

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'm feeding 15 cats, so everyone is getting Friskies pate using 13 oz cans which are slightly cheaper per oz than the 5.5 oz cans.

5. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

I thought about friskies special, but its carbs are too high for Hidey. Hidey does better on 0%-4%, and the 4 % ones are only so often. Friskies seems to be 4% & up, and figures the one with 4% is fish lol. I'd love to go with the FF but their phos are WAYYYYY too high, although Im still not sure about my vet saying he has beginning stages of kidney disease but I figure I'll lean on the cautious side and watch his phos and how much protein he's getting. I have looked at your secondary monitoring tools (thank you by the way) and he's fine. His labs compared to when he was diagnosed diabetic seem worse in certain areas then now, except the BUN but I KEEP thinking about that and wonder if a big part was the combination of stress, him fasting, and his canine teeth were bad :sad: Wouldn't BUN levels be better to monitor when a cat isnt fasting because of the water content in the food to help hydrate? I was considering the NULO because it was $1.79 a can (5.5 oz) at Petsmart and I'm sure I could get it cheaper online, opposed to the ziwipeak that is $3.06 a can (6 oz) :shock: At least they seem to like the Merrick which comes out to $1.23 a can. They would never eat pate style before but adding water has helped, but WOW did they love the Merrick!

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Per Dr Pierson on Cat Info, you can add up to 20-25% plain protein, to the canned food to up the protein and dilute everything else - fat, carbs, phosphorus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.