? Any info on 'Pillow foot' ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AmandaE, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hello!

My co-worker's vet suspects that her cat has pillow foot. They are saying that the only way to diagnose is with a biopsy.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the subject?

- Can it be diagnosed without biopsy?
    - is it a condition that can be controlled with diet?
    - Is it related to food allergies at all?
    - What medication is typically prescribed to treat it?
    - Anything besides medication that help alleviate symptoms?

Any and all advice welcome :)

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA) Well-Known Member

Disco had pillow foot and his vet (and I) feel it was related to his IBD as that is also a lymphocytic plasmacytic disease. Yes, a biopsy is the only definative way to diagnose this. His symptoms resolved with medication and a diet change to raw, but it's something I always monitor, especially now as I am blood testing him with his paw pads rather than ear pinna. Here is one more link to into to add to the good ones FurBabiesMama shared: https://mckeevervetderm.com/wp-cont...2016/06/Feline-Plasma-Cell-Pododermatitis.pdf

Very important, if her vet puts the cat on doxycycline, stress to her to make sure she rinses each dose down with 5ml of water, or some liquid like baby food or tuna juice as that medication can cause esophageal strictures (scarring) and permanent damage.

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  4. AmandaE

Thanks @FurBabiesMama and @Teri (Disco NoFurNo)

These resources and first hand experience were exactly what I was hoping for. My coworkers cat was prescribed a pill form of doxycycline but she is not having success giving it to her(even with pill pockets and crushing the pill) today she was picking up the liquid form so I will definitely let her know about the possibility of scarring and let her know that a biopsy is necessary for a proper diagnosis. Her biopsy quote was like: $1500CAD, does that seem normal? my jaw about dropped to the floor when I heard that price!

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For that price it appears that it is a surgical biopsy, that means the animal needs blood work before complete anesthesia, that surgery to take the biopsy, then closure of the surgical site. In the USA my vet would charge $300-400 for sending out the biopsy sample for a the actual biopsy.
    The $1500CAD would be about $1130USA. To me the $1500CAD is reasonable.

6. AmandaE

Thanks for explaining @Larry and Kitties its so hard to tell if a vet is being honest around pricing or not. My coworker was relieved to find out that this seems a fair price.

thanks SO much for mentioning this, when I told my coworker she was shocked! Her vet hadn’t mentioned this as a side effect. That’s why I like to ask here because you just never know what personal experience a member could have had!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.