Any new updates in the nutritional charts?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sev, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Just checking to see if any of the charts have been updated since Dr. Pierson posted the Sept 2012 charts.

Thanks guys.

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

She made a small update a few months ago to add the 9Lives, but nothing new since then.

3. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Hopefully there will be an update. I know Wellness for instance has added several new lines of grain free foods.

4. marniepaul & miles

marniepaul & miles Member

I'm wondering about that too - in particular, the Friskies pate flavors.

5. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

IIRC, the regular Friskies Pâtés are around 8%, including the new cheese* line (there was a post about a month ago on those new flavors but I can't find it now; probably because I'm on my stupid iPhone that never works right). The Special Diet Friskies are all around 5%.

*Note: only the Friskies pâtés with cheese, not the Friskies gravy with cheese.

6. marniepaul & miles

marniepaul & miles Member

I saw a similar post on FB, but it was regarding the new Fancy Feast flavors with cheese. I might try them. Er, I mean, Miles might try them. ;-)

7. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I hope things are not that bad. :lol: :lol:

8. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Don't hold your breath. I am still trying to regain my sanity from the original time-consuming project. People are pretty much on their own to gather data for any new food.

If people do get TNA data (typical nutrient analysis not GA) they are welcome to send it to me for my files so I will have it handy in case I ever decide to torture myself and add to the chart.

9. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Come on now.
    Self torture is good for the soul. :lol:

10. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I get plenty of that through my rescue work. The soul can only take so much.....

11. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

That I can understand.

What doesnt kill you make you stronger though. :D

I just rescued another beauty a couple weeks ago. Happens to be from the same litter as Silky. Just had the fecal tests done as well as FIV and leukemia. All negative. He has now been neutered and has all his shots.
    Silky came to us last December. He was about a year and half old. Very loving.
    Our newest resident started coming around once and a while in the spring. He actually walked into the house next to Silky one evening. That turned into a cat fight shortly there after. I ended up grabbing the wrong cat and throwing him out.
    The cats are almost completely identical. The only difference is that Shadow is a little larger and does not have white toes on his rear paws.

I am currently keeping him in Great Dane crate until the testosterone levels drop. He has already been in there since the 16th of Nov as he lightly bit me. So I had to quarantine him. I am not frothing at the mouth yet so... .
    What I did discover is he is the only cat that Silky had been fighting with. Since we crated him Silky has not has any more indications that he has been in a fight. I have them in close proximity to each other and have my finger crossed that they will get along.

12. Emilyskor

Emilyskor Member

Just a question on the chart....

The carb % in the wet vs. dry matter.. how do those correlate with each other? (the two columns of carb data)

If i have a food that is 5% carb, and 5% dry matter carb - does that mean the food is 10% carbs? I am confused on how that works, and maybe it is easier than I making it seem. I just don't fully understand how to read the chart.

Any help is appreciated.

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No.

Look up at the very top of the chart for the first 3 column headings. P, F, C which are a set of % calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate. They should add up to 100%.

14. Emilyskor

Emilyskor Member

Yeah, I get that. My question has to do with the difference between the column for wet and dry matter. Carb percentages in both columns... Do those get added up? So if the wet has 5% cabs and the dry matter has 5% carbs... Overall, is the food then 10% carbs? How do those correlate?

15. Emilyskor

Emilyskor Member

(Sorry, hit submit too son)

OR... The carb %in the first column of three... Is that overall, ans the dry matter carb % fallers within that overall %...

16. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Neither. The two columns are not added together, but are independent of each other.

The first group of numbers in the chart are for the percents of protein, fat and carbs on a calorie percentage basis. The second group of numbers in the chart are for the percentages of protein, fat and carbs on a dry matter basis. Since different foods have different water contents, the second group of numbers evens out the numbers so you are comparing "oranges to oranges" and not comparing "apples to oranges".

Most of us refer to the first group of numbers when we talk about the carb percentages in a food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.