Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tansho, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tansho

Tansho New Member

Hi folks!

It has been forever since I've been on the board. Stickabudda, our 17 year old cat, was diagnosed with diabetes in 2007. She started out on 1 unit of caninsulin 2x per day, then was increased to 2, and then to 3 units mid-last year. She has thus far not been diagnosed with any other illnesses, although she does seem to be experiencing neuropathy especially in the last 6 months or so.

Anyhoo, when she was first diagnosed, we tested her blood regularly, until she appeared to be regulated. She was doing well, until she started to decline somewhat and showed more obvious symptoms and began getting dehydrated, eating less etc. This happened twice and the dr. increased her dose by 1 unit 2x per day each time.

As of late, her diabetic symptoms have started to get worse, so we began testing her blood again. The weird part of all this is her numbers seem to have dropped dramatically. I keep thinking "it must be the meter" because we haven't used it in about 2 years. So, I tested myself, my husband, used the control solution, changed the batteries...everything is normal except her numbers??

Before, when we would test her, she would typically be in the 20s pre-food and pre-shot. Then mid-way through the day she'd dip down to between 8 and 15 depending on how good of a day she was having. We began testing her again yesterday, and the weirdness began. It scared the crap out of me as the meter told me she was nearly hypoed yesterday after she had been given her normal 3 units. So we didn't shoot her last night or this morning, or tonight. I tested her just now, and her BG is 11.5. She hasn't had insulin for a day and a half.

WHAT is going on??? She has shown no symptoms of hypo, but is showing symptoms of high glucose (lethargy, neuropathy, drinking a fair bit, eating some but not eating well).

Could it be the meter? Is there something else going on that is causing the "normalish" numbers? We took her into the vet before we tested her, and the vet basically said that she doesn't think there's anything they can do for her, except run more bloodwork (they have done this on the other occasions but nothing has been found...we just get a recommended increase of 1u 2x per day of insulin...)

Your thoughts are appreciated, as I'm baffled.

Stickabudda's mommy.

Donna F likes this.
  2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Well...insulin needs do change over time so this isn't totally unexpected....however, if she is showing symptoms then SOMETHING is going on that needs to be treated. Has she been tested for hyperthyroid? kidney insufficiency?

3. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Well, I hate to say it but sometimes cancer can cause sudden lower numbers. It eats carbs. You might consider a blood panel and some xrays. What insulin is she on? I would try to continue to test regularly.

4. Tansho

Tansho New Member

Hi! I don't think she's been tested for either. We get the bloodwork back, and there's never anything they can tell us. Unfortunately I haven't really educated my self on what they do test when they do bloodwork. Should I ask for these tests separately?

5. Tansho

Tansho New Member

Karen, she is on Caninsulin. I will look into the x-ray idea...I think we are going to get her bloodwork done.

6. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Hmmm. I think Vetsuliln is the same as Caninsulin. Vetsulin has recently had troubles. In fact, the company advised vets to start switching their clients to other insulins. You might ask your vet about it. It sounds like you are in Canada rather than the U.S. but I think it is the same insulin.

7. Tansho

Tansho New Member

Hi there,

Yes it is the same as Vetsulin and yes I am in Canada. She is not doing well today so we are taking her into the vet to discuss options. Thank you all for your help and opinions :)

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Where in Canada? I'm in Calgary...

10. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Did the vet do a CBC to see how all the other things are doing, or just test the BG's?
    Could be any number of things other than the BG's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.