Any Paw Pad testers out there? May start this to give ears a break. R paw readings lower than ears?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shoeskitty-GA, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Need advice please.

2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I found paw testing much easier than ear testing. They bleed much easier. If you google it, you'll find YouTube videos that'll show you how to do it. I'm very lucky in that Goof is so calm about it.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

Do you feel that you get a large enough sample for it to be close to the ear reading?

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have considered doing the same thing.

I think that is the right one?

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Gonna try it next.

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Let us know how it works out for you! :)

7. Shoeskitty-GA

Could not get enough blood even using the Lancet device and 28 gauge lancets. Looks like it will take practice. I did try to warm the pad a little. Not going to give up on it though. It did not seem to bother Shoes.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Shoeskitty-GA

Any tips on getting more blood from the paw?

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Some people have better luck with the paw, but some people don't...it's not a magic bullet unfortunately :(

I do know that I've read that you may need to really warm the paw. I've never tried it because I'm too afraid of possibly picking up an infection in the litter box

10. Mogmom and Goofus

If your kitty is pretty calm about it and you can use both hands, with thumbs and forefingers and gently "pump". If you can't use both hands, try kind of rolling and squeezing/pumping the site.

11. Mogmom and Goofus

I've never had to warm the paw, the blood has always come easily. As to infection worries, the hole closes so quickly that sometimes when I want to immediately retest, like when I get a wonky number, sometimes I have to repoke. In the nearly one and a half years since this journey began, we have never had an issue with infection due to paw testing.

Catcrzymom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

I'm not saying it's a big problem...I'm saying I never tried it because I'm afraid of it....just seems like an unnecessary risk to me, but if it works for others, I'm happy for them!

The important thing is to get that precious blood!!

13. Mogmom and Goofus

One thing you might try is just prior to testing, rub the leg while pulling/ sliding down. This will kind of get the blood "pulled down" into the foot.

14. Shoeskitty-GA

Ok. I wrapped him in a towel and put him on his back. Will do this prior to putting him on his back.

15. Mogmom and Goofus

In the above video it shows them getting a huge blood drop! The AT 2 meter needs only a tiny drop.

16. Mogmom and Goofus

I don't even do the towel, but Goof is so mellow, there's no need. I guess I'm pretty lucky. :cat:

17. Shoeskitty-GA

Right, but I could not get more than a . of red. Not giving up. His ears need a break.

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  18. Shoeskitty-GA

You are. I don't restrain Shoes at all for his ear sticks, but since he's not used to the paw, did not want him to run off! Thanks!

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  19. Chris & China (GA)

Sorry but I had to laugh....I had this insane picture of Shoes running like crazy through the house with you chasing after him screaming "come back here! I just need a little drop!!" [​IMG]

20. Shoeskitty-GA

LOL!

21. Mogmom and Goofus

I'll admit I do have to sometimes chase Goof down to give the shot. Lol. :rolleyes:

22. Chris & China (GA)

SHOES!!!.....GET BACK HERE!!!...LOL

[​IMG]

23. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Yeah, I tried the freehand method like the one in this video about a month or so ago when the lancing device failed me miserably. Except that I went all gung-ho and channeled my inner nursing student and did a quick little "jab" in his foot with the needle and he screamed. I finally got a drop of blood but it's been well over a month and I still feel really bad about it.

24. Shoeskitty-GA

25. Shoeskitty-GA

That is cute!

26. Chris & China (GA)

Would be better if it had a crazy lady chasing after him with a blood glucose meter in her hand....LOL

Squalliesmom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  27. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

We've pad tested Jenks since day one. We use the large center pad on his rear feet, particularly because they're not weight bearing so there shouldn't be any lasting discomfort beyond the initial prick. Thankfully, he's so mellow he doesn't even acknowledge that it's happening. On a few occasions, I've done it while he's slept without waking him up.

Warming certainly helps. But moreso the realization that the pad skin is just very thick. For Jenks, that necessitates both firmly pressing the cap of the lancing device against the skin as well as using its deepest setting. Then, using fingers on either site of the prick, we massage the bead of blood out. These days, we easily get a blood drop that's sizeable enough for two tests.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  28. Mogmom and Goofus

Thank you for giving a much better description of the method! I'm just not very good at decribing things like that, but that's EXACTLY how I do it.

29. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

I have been free-handing paw pad testing Gobbles for over a year. The trick I found which works like a charm is to use a 25 gauge lancet....or at best 26 gauge...though the 25 works best. I always test him sitting in my lap facing outward, grab his cuddly little foot on right side and test from there...at first, i had to milk the blood out, but after a week or so, his paw pad produced enough blood for two test....his pad has a callous where i test...i stick the lancet in the callous and instantly get blood...he does not even flinch...and i always put triple antibiotic w/pain relief on the test site. He had never got an infection. And of course, I cuddle him and give head scritchies before and after each test. I tried paw pad testing with 28 gauge lancets, and i had to put several holes i the pad to get enough blood. American Diabetes wholesale sells a "tech lite" lancet which is 25 gauge. Very inexpensive at only $4.61 for 200 lancets: http://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/arkray-techlite-sterile-lancets_4058.htm

30. Shoeskitty-GA

Just tried again and got some blood but it registered 26 points lower than the ear. Is that normal or correct? I think I do need 25 gauge lancets for this.

31. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

The FDA allows a 20% variance for home meters. So if it's anything over say 120, that is within FDA guidelines for accuracy.

32. pat121

pat121 Member

I had gals coming twice a day for Beauregard. He was an excellent little patient, but his patience wore thin after 4-5 tries on the ear, and it was killing me to watch, let alone try. My first attempt on his paw was magic. No flinching; apparently no pain. And with the ReliOn meter (sorry, no clue about the size of lancets), I got enough. My second try, no success, BUT he was gravely ill (didn't know it right then), and not sure if that paw had edema or it was just his entire physical condition, or just the luck of the draw. After that, unfortunately, I lost him (to other causes). Had he still been with me, I'm pretty sure we would have done the paw.

I was told to NOT use the wipe on him before, but only after. I don't THINK that tiny little prick would/cause infection, but we'll never know. I just think (as a diabetic myself) it's important to test (my doctor disagreed, but so what) before giving insulin, and however you do it the easiest for you, and less trauma for the sugarbaby, that's the way to go

BTW, I held Beau in my lap, on the sofa, with everything sitting on the table beside me. He was kinda on his back, but getting tummy rubbed, and getting kissed, and he didn't associate that with something happening. The kitchen counter was too much like the doctor's office, and it was also high up. I was afraid he would jump down and hurt himself, and so *I* was less stressed with the paw, and I think they know when you are stressed

33. Shoeskitty-GA

I know that but it just seems to me that all test sites should register the same. Not a scientist of doctor so what do I know. It's just common sense for me.

pat121 likes this.
  34. Shoeskitty-GA

Am so very sorry that you lost Beau but I know that you gave him a gift to relieve his body of suffering and pain.

pat121 likes this.
  35. pat121

pat121 Member

I've said this, but I"m diabetic. Because of my age, I got a free tester/strips from Arriva, and my doctor hated it. It registered 20 off from the one in doctor's office every time. He wanted it tossed. IT WAS FREE AND SO WERE THE STRIPS. Better solution: test at home or there with my tester; test at his office with his; crunch the numbers and shut up!!! lol

36. Catcrzymom

Catcrzymom Member

This is how I have been testing my sugar baby also. I couldn't get enough blood from his ears and he was harder to test with the ear. I lay him down and massage his leg and paw and he relaxes and let's me test him. Much easier and I get a nice drop of blood quickly. After I get the blood I massage his paw gently and he's ready to go! I've done it mostly with no warming but just gentle massage. This method is what a trained Technician at our vets office showed me. She has a diabetic cat and dog and she said this is what works best for her. Hubby and I tried it and it's been the best for us too.

37. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Chris, you really should have been in the movie Van Helsing! ;) :D

Mogs

38. Chris & China (GA)

Unfortunately, sometimes common sense gets thrown out the window in the sugardance.....due to that 20% variance that's allowed, even if you had two identical meters loaded with 2 strips and tested the exact same drop of blood at the same time (no matter where it came from), one meter could tell you one thing and the other could be as much as 20% different

I think they're working on requiring home meters to be a little better though...by allowing only a 10% variance....we can only wait and hope!

Shoeskitty-GA and Critter Mom like this.
  39. Shoeskitty-GA

Success with the paw test! Found 26 gauge Relion lancets for less than $2 box for 100 at good old Wally World! They work fine in the Alpha Trak lancet device as well. I like this one better than the Relion because it is smaller and less sound. Warmed pad up a little longer and wrapped him up in bath sheet and cuddled him like a baby and he did fine! So glad because his little ears are getting sore!

40. Mogmom and Goofus

Yay! For both of you! :cat::D

41. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Hey! I have been testing in the paw for a month, lily is absolutely fine about it. I also channelled my inner nursing student and she also screamed the first time I did it, but I think it was just a shock. She soon came to learn that she got a reward and is now okay :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.