? Any precedent for regular different dosing AM and PM?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Just curious about this - particularly since I dose later in the day than a lot of people.

Of course, my curiosity is based in my own situation. (Perhaps this should go in the think tank instead?)

Since so many of us feed small meals all day long rather than strict meal times that are scheduled with dosing times, that means there's a long stretch at night in which no feedings occur.
    Friends of mine - husband and wife - cared for their diabetic cat for eight years and did the strict feeding / dosing thing with their boy. (They also didn't home test except for regular curves, but that's beside the point.)

In my case, my dosing tends to be between 8:30-9:30 AM/PM (depending upon life situations). Which means that feeding can only happen until I go to bed around 12:00 - 1:00AM ideally.

Not everyone has that kind of schedule, of course.

But I do wonder if there's been any discussion on the boards - not just for me, but others as well - about giving a slightly higher dose during the day when cats eat more and many are more active than in the evening / night when they likely have longer periods of inactivity (yes, I know they can sleep a lot during the day too and are genetically nocturnal rather than diurnal,; but kitty parents generally are not and most kitties follow their parent's habits) and most have less access to food sources.

Discuss?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, there are people who dose differently AM and PM. It's usually because they've learned that their kitty has a pattern of running higher at night.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I leave food out for my cats during the night, and they eat the same amount of food during the night that they eat during the day. However, even with similar food intake, there was a period where I had to give Sam a slightly different AM and PM doses. Knowing what I know now, I probably didn't have to do that, but it didn't hurt him either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.