Any recalls,HEAVY blood in urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

something is wrong w skittles, passing blood. Went to vet , did blood work didn’t feel any stones and while he was there he Peed in the crate and of course it had no blood in it. Left wasn’t even in the house five minutes and now he’s peeing blood again over and over going back to vet just need to know if there is a recall on any fancy feast or Friskies.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed 911. Kitty has been seen by a vet.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Nothing recent that I can find online. I hope Skittles will be ok, keep us posted please. :bighug:

3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I looked & nothing of either brand has any recalls. I hope the vet will help you this time around!

sherrib likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Probably a uti. Ask to have a culture and sensitivity test done

5. sherrib

I’m back at the vet. She doesn’t do overtime emergency and the other vet is a hour away to somewhere I have never been.
    His Bun level is 33 supposed to be 10-30 only. Everything else normal. They are doing X-rays and sending the rest off his blood work and urine off to lab, results will be back tomorrow.
    He had been doing really good with his BG levels for a while. Going 16-18 hrs before needing a dose .
    And now this happens.
    If someone went to house, blood is everywhere

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sounds like the blood may not be coming from his bladder. Did the vet check his anal glands? I had a kitty who got an anal sac abscess and my living room looked like the Chain Saw Massacre and I initially thought she was bleeding from her bowels. Sending healing vines to Skittles.

7. JanetNJ

Omg how scary

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Not related but something to keep in mind. Aviva Akkuchek had a recall of test strips about six months ago.
    Hope Skittles comes home soon.

sherrib likes this.
  9. sherrib

I can see when he was trying to pee that the blood was coming from there. X-rays were negative for stones.
    He was awful y’all! Scaring me really bad and the vet was telling me that he could have a tumor and is busted and that’s why it’s bleeding or he could have bladder or kidney cancer , stuff that’s freaking me out. Or it could just be a bladder infection ...... which I am praying that’s all it is.
    Second time there they gave him sub q , shot w meds and I asked them to please give him something for his pain. She was a little hesitate because of his kidney level but she went ahead and gave him some.
    He acts like his normal self right now, still passing blood but not as solid as it was before. Before it looked like pure blood, actually would drip out on its own! Vet said he could’ve been blocked and “ unblocked “ himself. He has only peed 3 times in the last 5 hrs ( in his litter box, don’t know if he did it somewhere else ) I’m happy w that compared to how he was. He would squat , pee blood. walk a few feet squat again , and again and again. Just like when you have a bladder infection it feels like you have to constantly go but you really don’t have anything to pass.
    In a hour I have to give him 100 cc of sub q! I’m so nervous because I haven’t done it in years ! I have to give him another 100 cc at 2:00 AM and another 6-7 hrs later.
    She has me really concerned about his age. She kept saying that 11 was really old! That confuses me because I was taught that cats usually live to at least 15 if taken care of really good . She said the average lifespan is 10.
    She also said that if he has crystals that he is going to have to go on different food and his diabetes is going to have to take a backseat until we get the crystals cleared up . Said she would put him on RX food. I’m very uncertain about doing that.
    Input?

10. JanetNJ

11 is not that old. It's old, but not old old. Average lifespan for an indoor cat is 15.

11. sherrib

Also he kept trying to have a BM and clear mucus would come out only and I have never seen that before !
    The bloody urine & those “ BM” is why I asked about the food .

12. sherrib

That’s what I thought to! She really has me freaked out about his age. She doesn’t feel comfortable working on his teeth due to his age, diabetes, and not having all the right equipment.
    If he needs a Ultrasound, I will have to take him to hospital that they use for after hours emergencies and really anything really series.

13. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

That is an awful lot of fluids. Even a very large cat should have no more than 150-200 mls per 24 hours.
    Potentially 300 ml of subq fluids on top of what he got at the vet within a 24 hour period.
    Before you give the fluids, please check to make sure that the previous fluids have been absorbed. If not absorbed, there will be what feels like a spongy pouch down the leg or on the belly, depending on where the fluids were administered.
    Too much fluid is very hard on the heart and quite dangerous. Did the vet mention anything about this?

14. sherrib

She said to make sure the other fluid was gone , but she said that “ You can’t really give to much “.
    He isn’t deHydrated , she said something about the fluid helping since he was peeing so much. I called back and told them that he wasn’t doing that anymore and that he was drinking water and did she still want me to do it . She said Yes.
    Now I don’t know if I really should do it. He drinks tons of water everyday ( in last 3-4 years I’ve NEVER seen his brother drink water, they both get can food only )

15. sherrib

Oh, he weighs 15 pounds

16. sherrib

When we 1st got home, I could still see the pocket of fluid. And twice his fur was wet were they did it. The lump slowly moved to the side and now I don’t see it, but I’m gonna check the area they did it plus his chest, front and back of front legs. I feel any, I won’t do it. Honestly, I do not wait to do it at all.

17. JanetNJ

That's crazy. My 14 year old diabetic just had a couple of teeth pulled. You need to see another vet I think.

18. JanetNJ

No.... A 15 lb cat should have no more than 150 every 24 hours IF they need it. Doing too much will strain the heart.

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

11 isn't really old. My cats are 13 and 14 and they think they're still kittens by the way they act!

The peeing blood thing is bad, but it sounds a lot like a bladder infection or inflammation. Crystals can cause it, yes, so can a UTI, so can stones, etc. Also idiopathic cystitis (inflammation of unknown causes). It's scary, BUT there are treatments for these things. The constant need to go and the blood is what makes me think it is one of these. When you get the lab reports back, ask if they actually found any bacteria if they say UTI. If they say crystals, ask if they are struvite or calcium oxalate (they are taken care of differently depending). If they say cystitis by chance, let me know. I can share lots of info on that one.

I don't know anything about the fluids so I'll leave that to Janet and the others.

20. sherrib

I am so hoping it’s a UTI and not crystals.... she also said that a cat his age probably would not get crystals if he has never had them before , she said cats 5-6 and under get them.
    I’m going to hold off on doing the subq. I’m scared to do it period and now worried giving him to much, right ?

21. sherrib

I just caught him in the litter box and grabbed a sample, of course still very bloody but before it looked like pure blood now that he got some fluid it can tell it’s bloody URINE.... does that make sense?
    I took pictures of it

22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Makes complete sense. That's exactly what mine have done with UTIs in the past and with cystitis now in the present.

23. JanetNJ

Did they give him any antibiotics?

24. sherrib

How old when crystals developed?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  25. sherrib

Not the first time...
    Gave him Onsior injection
    And
    Cerenia injecrion the second time. One of those is an anti flame Med.

26. sherrib

I’m also worried if I don’t give subq he will go back to thick blood. But I guess as long as he is drinking he will urine to pass to

His BUN level was up to 33, not supposed to be over 30. But I guess that would be up w a UTI. I really hope it’s just a UTI withOUT crystals

27. JanetNJ

Cerenia is for nausea. Onsior is for inflammation.... But I'm really surprised no antibiotics. Did they send out a sample for a culture and sensitivity test?

28. sherrib

Yes, will be back tomorrow. He will get a dose of antirode for his infected tooth

29. sherrib

He is pulse therapy... he gets 5 pills the 1st week of each month to keep his infection away.

30. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You can give to much subq fluids. It will overload the heart and can cause libretto go into congestive heart failure.

31. sherrib

:( :( He just started the pacing ,peeing , walking a few feet , peeing again! Crap! The injections have stopped. One pill I just have him to help with that taste really bad and he is drooling it all out. I hope he keeps it down, earlier today he threw it up it’s called proprantheline

32. sherrib

Wonder why they told me to give him more at 7:00 PM.

33. sherrib

Hey everyone
    I started a new thread called “ update & test results “ if y’all can look and tell me what you think .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.