? Any reccomendations for Diabetic wet food? Thanks!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovemycat444, Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Hi, has anyone tried vet prescription Diabetic wet canned food? My cat Taco has to go to the vet ASAP for a fructosamine test. I did his BG ear prick and his numbers were too high (200-360 range.) For about a year now he's been on Royal Canin selected protein (duck or rabbit) wet and dry food. It's bc the vet thought he probably had a food allergy (he had a horrendous itchy skin & subsequent biting, growling at himself and extreme over grooming, he had licked off all the fur on his stomach, hind legs & was beginning to create sores.) He's on Prozac for it, and it's knock on wood, been working well.) I want him to be on special Diabetic food bc I'm concerned the Royal Canin rabbit and or duck might be too high in sugar, and surely that for the dry food. He's a total cat and very finicky about his food. Sometimes he would hardly eat the wet food (rabbit, but was more partial to the duck, and of course loved the dry food.) Which I want to try to ween him off dry food as much as possible. Thank you so so much!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

The Hills prescription foods for diabetes are too high in carbs, md has 13 and wd has 25. The purina dm is 6, so your best bet carb wise, but it isn’t a novel protein so may mess with any food allergies he may have. There are some otc novel protein wet foods that are low carb, so you may want to look into those. Just be sure to read the labels as many that claim to be rabbit or duck also contain fish, chicken or pork.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  3. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

The vet sent me home with some Royal Canin Diabetic wet food but because Simone was a very very picky eater she wouldn't touch it. The smell (think it was duck) put her right off, LOL. She was a kibble kitty to say the least.

With that, Simone was put on the Royal Canin Diabetic kibble diet for a while but it didn't seem to help at all with her glucose levels. It was only when I switched her to Fancy Feast pate' (thankfully I found a flavor she would eat) that her glucose started to come down.

I wish you good luck in finding some wet food that Taco will eat and help his BG levels and allergies.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  4. JeanW

JeanW Member

lovemycat444 likes this.
  5. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thank you for this information! So glad to hear Simone's BG went down!! Can you please let me know, I've read alot of people feed Fancy Feast. I'm confused as to why Fancy Feast would have less carbs, and be better for BG than a prescription Royal Canin Diabetic wet food (I know Simone was on diabetic Royal Canin dry food though). Can you please let me know this? I've always thought Fancy feast was like junk food for cats and full of sugar and not healthy for cats.

Thank you so so much!

6. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

Veronica & Babu-chiri and MrWorfMen's Mom mentioned great info in your other post High BG levels! Why is Fancy Feast better than vet RX diabetic wet food? (pls help!)

As for the different varieties, Simone would only eat the Fancy Feast Chopped Grilled Feast pate', which I believe had carb levels that were OK. I would also sneak in a little Friskies Turkey and Giblet pate' to help stretch the small amounts in the Fancy Feast cans. After switching to this wet food combo Simone's BG went down in a matter of 10 - 14 days. Not to say this will happen with everyone's little one but it made a world of difference with Simone to get her off the dry kibble.

Even the bloodwork that was done on Sept 5th of this year before her Rainbow Bridge journey was within the normal limits for a cat in remission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.