Any remedies for tooth discomfort?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia & Bandit (GA), Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Got great advice on my last problem with Gabby, so here's another issue maybe everyone can help with.

My cat Gabby has stomach cancer, so she's already a finicky eater. Right now she has a bad tooth that's causing her pain and making her not want to eat. Because she's nearing the end of her life and is already so far into the cancer, I'm not going to have the tooth pulled because I don't think she'd survive the procedure. So I gave her an antibiotic for a week, and she perked up. When she was off the antibiotic the following week, it was hard to get her to eat again, and I could tell her tooth was really bothering her. So I started her on it again and now she's perked up again.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to help with her tooth? I know it's bad to keep her on a steady stream of antibiotics for a tooth infection but I don't see any other option right now. The tooth seems to be making her more miserable than the cancer right now. This morning she gobbled down all her food in one sitting and was cuddling and playing with me afterward. A few days ago it was taking me 2-3 hours to feed her 1/6 of a can of food and she just wanted to hide under the bed.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If its about quality of life now, I'd find out more about long term (pulse?) therapy of antibiotics. Just don't do covenia as it can cause issues.

Good luck, and hugs

Jen

3. Julia & Bandit (GA)

She's on liquid Clindamycin right now...the vet said it would be gentler on her stomach. I have an appt. tomorrow to talk to the vet about long term antibiotics, because this week on/week off thing just is not working.

I have tramadol for pain as well, but she loses her appetite and only wants to sleep when I give it to her.

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I wonder if an anti-inflammatory like metacam might work? I know it's a risky drug but that just doesn't matter to me anymore.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Depends on how much it hurts - if minor, she might tolerate some home dental cleaning (ex gentle wiping w/ dampened gauze), but otherwise I don't think there is much you can do for the cause of her pain, only palliative options.

6. Jen & Squeak

I would ask for buprenex before metacam....altho metacam would do the trick, buprenex has fewer side effects so why not?

7. Jen & Squeak

I looked online to see if cloves or oregano oil are safe for use in cats, as both have very strong antibacterial properties. One site says that cloves have an aesthetic effect on cats and that oregano has antibacterial effects and cats, and that both are on the 'safe' list. That said, essential oils can be very powerful and have to be diluted with carrier oils when used for pets and I've no idea whether either would help in this case. If you have a homeopathic vet in your area, they may be able to help...

8. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Buprenex has the same effect on her as the tramadol does...lack of appetite, sleepiness. And it's an opiate so it's only dealing with the pain. The metacam is an anti-inflammatory so it wouldn't make her loopy and help with the inflammation around her tooth.

9. Jen & Squeak

Gotcha. Squeak can't tolerate opiates...as my vet says, he tends to try and die on them if he gets them.....whereas our drooler is on metacam longterm.

Good luck!

10. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Yup...I forgot to mention the crazy drooling Gabby does on opiates! And she just looks and acts more miserable on them than with nothing at all. She's never had metacam before because she has early stage renal disease so I've always given her the bupe anyway, but at this point I think the risk might be worth it because I don't want to keep her going if she's miserable.

11. Jen & Squeak

early stage renal vs end stage is pretty different....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.