Any restrictions for spaying a cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shawny2u, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawny2u

Shawny2u Member

My friend's female cat is 9 months old. About 2-3 nights ago she started some strange behaviors which made everyone think
    of an illness. However we soon realized she just reach her sexual maturity. The question is should they wait
    until she goes through this cycle before spaying her or an immediate surgery is the better alternative?
    I've read some articles that there are medications but could be risky with severe side effects
    and also this behavior happens every three weeks (does it mean she will be "calling" for one week then wait three weeks before
    starting again?).
    Should they wait until she is off "calling period" to have her spayed or not?

Thank you in advance!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your friend should call her vet to see what he/she suggests. When I worked for a while at the local shelter, we preferred to wait until the cat was out of heat for the spay. I think there may also some cost consideration. As long as the cat is an inside cat and away from intact male cats, the only problems will be the noise and behaviour.

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I think they would see a higher cost for spaying during the cycle, but otherwise it wouldn't be that much different. There is swelling and it usually costs more for a surgery because of the swelling. Obviously the swelling does offer more risk of complication and bleeding, but most vets are experienced enough that it is a routine surgery for them, even during a heat cycle.

We had both of our current fosters spayed while in heat to get it to stop. Poor girls were insane. Hope had been in heat for at least 2 weeks by the time we got them in and I didn't see any dimming in her symptoms. Howling, rolling in the litter box, they both were literally trying to climb the walls. The smell in their room was terrible because females not only howl and act crazy, they can also discharge fluids. They were driving the rest of the cats in the house insane along with them.

4. Shawny2u

Shawny2u Member

Is there a heat cycle and if so, how long does it take to come out of it. Her vet suggested to wait until she is back to normal.
    As I mentioned in my previous posting that I read somewhere the cycle is every three weeks. Is there any truth to that?

Thank you all for your inputs!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

One of the books I have says that the cycle can be 2-3 weeks long, but can happen almost right after each other at this time of year. They start as soon as the days get longer.

6. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy. With 18 female kitties at home, all spayed, I can tell you that the calling can stop for one day & start immediately again. The frequency can be very severe. The longer a female kitty call, the more swelling there is inside her female organ. Your friend should get her fixed ASAP.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

there really is no reason to wait if the vet is comfortable with doing it. The more heat cycles a cat goes thru, the higher the risk of reproductive cancers occuring later in life is. Also, even tho the cat is indoors, a very determined female cat in heat can be VERY pushy about getting out, especially if theres males outside. I can not tell you how many "Oh he/she never tried to get out before" stories there are out there. Likewise unneutered males will be at your doors and windows and will be equally annoying and smelly.

JUST DO IT! The shelter I work at has a s/n Saying "NEUTER IS CUTER- JUST SPAYIN"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.