any science in moving off a 12/12 cycle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah is on Caninsulin and has now reached 7 units on occasion. He has so many other medical problems that may interfere with his numbers I can't list them all. He is somewhat typical in that he is lower AM than PM but that's all that is "typical". His numbers and curves are so whacked they're not worth talking about.
    So the 12/12 question. Noah only eats wet and there is no food left out overnight. How does this effect his metabolism and therefore the way his insulin acts on him overnight? I've read that Caninsulin can nadir at 4 hours and then just wash out before the 12 hour mark. For the sake of argument let's say we went to an 11/13 cycle. It's at night that his numbers skyrocket so moving his PM up an hour would change AND lower his PM dose BUT now he would have a lower PM dose and it would have to do for 13 hours, not 12. Maybe it's time to think about another insulin.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Don't know enough about Caninsulin to answer for deterring from 12/12 schedule. I have read about TID dosing with shorter acting insulins. BUT the 11/13 cycle, that is something that exists with Prozinc :)

3. Noah & me (GA)

I'm not a rule breaker, the guidelines are there for a reason but Noah is no ordinary cat. I asked my vet why he's even alive and she just scratched her head. His heart is so enlarged it has partially burst through the heart sac. And he has cardiomyopathy which killed his 3 brothers and mom and dad. One day at a time.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I remember you saying you didn't want to use our spreadsheet, can't remember why, but if you would reconsider, it would help us to maybe see some trend you're missing that could help. Also knowing what other meds he's on. Lantus or Levemir might be a good option for him though since they are long acting. Lev is less acidic and better for higher doses. Either way, the important thing is Noah and as you say, taking it one day at a time. Give him some chin scritches from me[​IMG]

5. Noah & me (GA)

He like having his tail pulled so I'll do that. I'm OCD so changing anything (spreadsheets) is a big step but it's not about me. I'm also agriphobic (fear of farmers) or is the other one? And dentists who put both hands in your mouth, "Seen any good movies lately?" "Arg gurgle gasp patooey" I used to get valium to get my teeth cleaned.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.