Any scientists out there?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

2. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

well, I don't know about the inflammation, but a high quality fish oil will definitely give a beautiful coat, help fight constipation, and can also be used to help a cat gain weight. Oddly enough, several of my cats don't really like it. That surprised me.

laur

3. Anyname

Anyname Member

yes, thank you for your response. I am going to try it for all the reasons you mentioned.

4. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I've also used it in the past. I agree with the benefits above. I also found some of the cats in my house wouldn't eat anything with the fish oil, while others were attacking the caplets. If it works for your cat, great!

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I tried it for the benefits noted, and my cats would not touch any food that had the oil on/in it.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm using fish oil for Sophie's dry flaky skin--it helps.

She, too sometimes will refuse food with the fish oil mixed in. I find
    I need to put it into one of her favorite foods (FF chicken), rather than
    her less favorite foods.

7. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

This is what I know: Fish oil is extracted from fish and is composed of omega-3 fatty acids shown to be important in blood clotting and decreasing inflammation, among other things. Has a unique fatty acid composition with high concentrations of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosapentaenoic acid (DHA).

HOW THEY WORK: Omega 3's are responsible for reducing inflammation at the cellular level and Omega 6's promote inflammation. The body needs some inflammatory response for its defense functions. The body needs essential fatty acids (EFAs) to manufacture and repair cell membranes, enable the cells to obtain optimum nutrition and expel harmful waste products. A primary function of EFAs is the production of prostaglandins, which regulate body function such as heart rate, blood pressure, blood clotting, fertility, conception, and play a role in immune function by regulating inflammation and encouraging the body to fight infection.

Important: It is very important to have a balanced fatty acid ratio (Omega 6: Omega 3) ratio since the body needs both; more Omega 6 than Omega 3..so 5:1 to 10:1 has been stated to be the best.

To state "FISH OIL" reduces inflammation and how it impacts diabetes is a lot to be stated and more solid information other than a mice study would /should be reviewed prior to relying on just one study. However understanding how Fatty Acid ratio can play a part to help our feline family members to reduce inflammation is a very important topic to point out.

8. Anyname

Anyname Member

Great response pepperthecat. I am mostly concerned about my cat's allergies his skin itchiness. there are no easy answers for it as the diet/environment channel is difficult/costly to assess.

9. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

check out this post: Porky is itchy, lots of dandruff - suggestions?

someone just posted: "Vet's+Best" natural Formula shampoo at Petco that has aloe and oatmeal in it. I'm going to try out that one too- since I am curious on how well it will work.

10. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Charlie's coat became beautiful, and his 'dandruff' problem left, as soon as he came close to regulation... all he needed was the insulin...

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This information is from DVM, medical journals, and the government....fish oil used to treat diabetes in humans and pets is still experimental and not confirmed. There are indications of increased insulin sensitivity in pets. The tests are still ongoing and the best treatments are still reducing carbs and gluten and insulin. Fish oil, so far, has not proved any more beneficial than herbal treatment or other homeopathic treatments. However, no serious side effects have been apparent, yet. I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.