any suggestions on civvies itching?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Twix scratches at her chin alllllllll the time. Right under her mouth area. Since she has lighter fur under there, sometimes we can see bloody scabs in that area. She would NEVER let us trim her nails and she would NEVER let us hold her long enough for us to put a warm compress there to soften the scabs. She NEVER let's us hold her for more then 5 seconds and only one of us can be in with her while she is being picked up. She is the sweetest cat ever, but she just does not like being touched in any way. She is our OCD cat. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do to help stop her itching or scratching?

She is on dry cat food because the wet cat food she was on either caused her rodent ulcers (3 times) or her obsessive licking after eating the wet cat food caused the rodent ulcers. So she went back on dry and hasn't had them since so I don't really want to mess with the food.

2. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hi - I found this article on cat scatching the chin:

Dirty Chins

You may notice that your cat has a dirty chin - little black spots that look like acne. Simply put, it IS acne. And it can be quite painful, so you should take steps to get it cured as soon as possible. Though you might want to check with your vet, who can provide you with some medicine, you might want to try this first: Clean the area with hydrogen peroxide (pour some on a clean white washcloth, and sponge off the chin). You'll probably need to do this twice a day for a week or so.

Next, take a look at the food dishes: how often do you clean them? Are they plastic? Are they very deep? Cat food dishes should be cleaned on a daily basis, particularly if you are feeding canned food. Plastic dishes may aggravate the acne, and deep food bowls definitely will. (Ours eat out of glass custard dishes.)
    http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/tips.htm

and this:
    Feline Acne
    Cats can develop acne just as humans do. Usually it is only on the chin. It will appear as small black spots. The reasons for feline acne are as complex as it is for humans. Sometimes a food allergy (such as chocolate with humans or milk with cats) can cause it or sometimes the cat does not clean its chin properly.
    Tips on caring for feline acne
    It is important to keep food dishes clean. Acne has bacteria associated with it. The cat's chin comes in contact with the edge of the food/water bowl, leaving bacteria. The next time the cat uses the bowl, it can come in contact with this bacteria and spread it on the chin.
    Use glass or metal food/water dishes. It is next to impossible to remove the bacteria from acne from plastic dishes.
    Wash the food and water dishes daily. This removes the bacteria from the dishes and helps to keep the problem from getting worse. Also, in multi-cat households, it will help reduce the chance of others breaking out with it.
    Bathe the cat's chin daily with a disinfectant soap/solution from the vet. Nolvasan, Xenodine, Betadine soaps are a few of the ones to try. More severe cases may need to be washed twice a day. DO NOT USE HUMAN ACNE SOLUTIONS. These are too strong for cats and may cause serious problems. Don't try to pick the spots off, just clean it well.
    Visit the vet if you can't get the acne to clear up within a week or two, or if the acne is severe or infected. The vet may prescribe antibiotics or other acne treatments for these cats.
    Once the acne is cleared up, keep an eye out for reoccurrences. Washing the cat's chin once a week is a good preventative measure.
    http://fanciers.com/cat-faqs/health-care.shtml

There were other articles. I searched "cat scratching chin."

Maybe the cleaning the bowl thing will work - good luck.

3. PeterDevonMocha

thanks for the info. These aren't tiny black dots though, I'm almost 100% positive it is not the normal feline acne. The scabs are from her nails scratching at her chin, but she won't let us touch her feet to trim her nails. I wish I knew what to do for her.

4. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Some folks here swear by the clothespin trick to get them to calm down for nail trimmings (and other things). I haven't tried it myself but you use a "chip clip" or 3 or 4 clothes pins on the scruff of their neck - and wallah - you have a subdued kitty so you can trim their nails. It doesn't hurt them, I understand it's like their mother was clutching them so they automatically get calm. There was a thread on the old board to a link with pictures:

[www.felinecrf.org]

Good luck.

5. PeterDevonMocha

thank you for the clothespin idea. Im pretty sure that would be impossible for us to do on twix. She isnt a cat that is going to let both of us even close enough to get them on her. It would be so much easier if she wasn't such a timid cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.