Any suggestions on home blood sugar testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Spencer, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer

Spencer New Member

We found out our cat, Noah, was diabetic about a month ago after some weight loss. He’s 13 yrs old so didn’t think too much of it. Had sugar tested, it was high, so we did a 2 week food switch to see what effect it had. In two weeks, we got his sugar from around 600 down to 350. 2 weeks later, we started 2 units of insulin twice a day. 2 weeks later, his sugar was back up to over 600. Our vet said to do 4 units twice a day. Not even a week later, I gave the cat his morning injection(I forgot to make sure he ate first) and he instantly began bobbing his head and staying close to the ground. After some research, I figured his sugar got too low. Some corn syrup on the tongue got rid of the head bobbing, so I knew we were on the right track. Shortly after, he started doing it again so I did more syrup to stop it. After each time, he seemed out of it and was almost completely non-responsive. Took him to the emergency vet and they immediately did a sugar test and found he had an insulin overdose and his sugar went down to 28! I forgot to mention, he had a seizure in the car on the way there, and they said he started to have another one when they were getting him hooked up. An overnight stay with a glucose drip got him back to normal. Vet there said to put him back to 2 units per shot, if he doesn’t eat, only give him 1 unit. Sorry for the long post, had to give details. Now to the original post headline, they mentioned testing his sugar at home. Does anyone else do this, and is it difficult to do? I don’t want his sugar getting low like that again. Thank you.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Pretty much everyone here home tests!! We're big believers!!

If you live in the US, WalMart has Relion Confirm and Micro blood glucose meters that a lot of use here. They take the tiniest sample size and the strips are affordable ($35.88/100)

Here are a couple of video's people on this message board have done on how to home test

3. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Glad your cat made it through the hypo! We pretty much all home test here. It's a great way to keep your cat safe from hypos, but also from the trouble at the opposite end, DKA, when they're not getting enough insulin. You'll get the hang of it fast and wonder how you ever lived without it.

Welcome aboard!

4. Spencer

Spencer New Member

Thank you so much! I don’t recall my vet ever mentioning the home testing. He’s just been having us come back every 2 weeks to check his levels and adjusting if needed. The emergency vet wasn’t crazy about this and said his sugar levels can jump up just due to the car ride there. They mentioned the home testing and we will definitely look into it. Thank you for the videos!

5. Spencer

Spencer New Member

Thank you! I’m glad I found this site. The advice is already making me feel better about ways to keep everything regulated. It was definitely a scary day, especially with the costs of an emergency vet visit

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

It is scary, and you are in the very best place. We are new too, and this board and these people are your best resource for learning to care for Noah, and coping with this disease. Go through the forums, read, read, read and ask questions. You will always get a response, advice and support. FDMB is a life and sanity saver.

Spencer and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.